Suggestions in regard to feed failure

Sorry it took a while for an update, but I have been out of town. Was not able to get any more range time in, as I cannot find any blasted ammo to do so. I will be sending this pistol back to RIA for service. As to why I would buy cheap, it was because I needed to find something that I was not worried about getting banged around in a pack. I enjoy my Kimbers and STI, but don't want to do that to them. I would have gone back to an HK, which most of my past pistols have been, except that I wanted to keep the same manual of arms between pistols.

Actually Tipoc, if you would but glance at my post on June 19, you will see that I did take it to the range and did try to fire it, but it still did not feed properly, even with known good magazines. It was either not feeding the first round from the magazine, or was not locking the magazine in and allowing it to fall out from the recoil. The magazines appeared and felt like they were seated properly, but they were not. I came back to this group after being gone several years in an effort to find some genuine assistance, and several folks made good suggestions, but the level of superiority and snark demonstrated by some on this board shows me exactly why I have been told by many people that they gave up on getting into shooting because of the elitists that criticize their every move. I will get this pistol fixed, and I do appreciate the constructive input from many who tried to help, but those who just want to act like they have never had an issue and like they have nothing left to learn, you can pound sand for all I am concerned. I apologize, but I am done with this.

Lube it well and shoot it! I think that you are in for a surprise.
What he said. Grease it up well, shoot about 500 rounds of factory 230 gr ball ammunition through it. During the process, DON'T clean it. If it jams or fails to feed or fails to eject, add more grease and continue shooting. You'll thank me later.

If a particular magazine has issues when full, as others have said, load it up and let it sit for a couple of days. Alternatively, you can load that magazine up to less than full capacity for this 500 round 'break-in' procedure. Consider going with Wilson Combat or Kimber Kim-Tac magazines.

DRIZZT, upon rereading some of my replies I realize they do come off as being snarky. My apologies, by my nature I tend to be blunt and straight forward so on the forums I see how it can come off as being snarky. It’s not meant that way, and once again my apologies. RIA in my experience has excellent service and I’m sure they’ll get it sorted for you. Let us know how it goes.

. . . the level of superiority and snark demonstrated by some on this board shows me exactly why I have been told by many people that they gave up on getting into shooting because of the elitists that criticize their every move. . . . those who just want to act like they have never had an issue and like they have nothing left to learn, you can pound sand for all I am concerned.
Hear, hear!

1. Steve from Allentown is a 1911 god.
2. The OP has a problem and people start jumping in with "Buy new magazines" and "Start swapping out parts on a brand new gun" advice
3. Only the wise ones said "if it doesn't work, let the manufacturer fix it under warranty"

4. No one asked "What do you mean by 'fully loaded magazine'"? or asking "are you using 7 or 8 round magazines?" or "does it run if you just put five in the magazine?

5. No one asked "how much experience do you have?"

Steve showed in diagram how stuffing a magazine "completely full" can affect the feed angle.

I hope we all can agree that before fixing something, we should discover what the problem is. I hope we can all agree that starting with the simplest of things and changing one thing at a time is the productive way to precede.

From all I hear, Rock Island is a solid .45. Please get back to us on how their service department treats you!

Actually Tipoc, if you would but glance at my post on June 19, you will see that I did take it to the range and did try to fire it, but it still did not feed properly, even with known good magazines. It was either not feeding the first round from the magazine, or was not locking the magazine in and allowing it to fall out from the recoil. The magazines appeared and felt like they were seated properly, but they were not. I came back to this group after being gone several years in an effort to find some genuine assistance, and several folks made good suggestions, but the level of superiority and snark demonstrated by some on this board shows me exactly why I have been told by many people that they gave up on getting into shooting because of the elitists that criticize their every move. I will get this pistol fixed, and I do appreciate the constructive input from many who tried to help, but those who just want to act like they have never had an issue and like they have nothing left to learn, you can pound sand for all I am concerned. I apologize, but I am done with this.

Actually Drizzit you said this:

OK, was able to sneak out for some quick range time today. I am using standard, factory-loaded, 230 grain FMJ Winchester rounds (also tried some Fiocchi). If the magazine is fully loaded, then there is a complete hang up while loading the first round. Using partially loaded magazines, the first round chambers, but not smoothly. Still am not getting the magazines to seat firmly without having to give the magazine an additional tap.

Based on this, that you could get the gun to feed, I had earlier encouraged you to fire the gun and continued to do so. I asked you what happened when you fired it. But you did not fire it even though the gun could load from the mag.

There are two types of folks who try to diagnose gun issues while manually feeding rounds through the piece from home. People who are very knowledgeable of 1911's and folks who aren't. The latter are more common.

In this case you were gifted a brand new pistol.

I was given a brand new, never been fired, RIA 1911A1 Tactical. Before even taking it to the range, i like to feed a few magazines through manually, just to check for feed issues. The factory mag hangs on loading the first round if it is fully loaded, and I have tried 4 other after market magazines that work as they should in my other 1911s, and those will not seat properly without banging rather hard on the butt of the magazine. I like this gun, and it has a good trigger, so is there anything you might suggest to get it running as it should?

So I encouraged you to take the piece to the range and try shooting it. When you get a gun, new or used, clean and lube it and take it to the range to check it out with factory ball ammo and what mags you have. For most shooters this is the only reliable way to check the gun out and see and diagnose any potential issues. It is the most reliable because it removes from the table a number of potential problems and allows for isolation of issues. this includes user induced issues. Take it from there.

This is a much easier route than trying to diagnose an issue in an online gun forum.

If the central issue was that no mags fit the gun properly due to a machining error that would have been quickly apparent.

There was no snark in any of my posts. There was straight forward opinion.

I wish you good luck.

Back