Suggestions for designing the perfect LCR & LCRX grip

Jazzgun, THANKS!
I'm just making these for fun and experimentation right now. The boot grips are going to be worked on today. I'm working on putting a faux stag finish on them.

Wood is an adventure to work with. I've been a wood worker for years. You never know how the finish is going to come out, especially with stains. And you can work for hours and come out with a sanded perfect product, and then the wrong finish can make it look like junk!

Here are the boot grips done in FAUX STAG!
I put a wash of yellow ochre and burnt sienna to give it more of that aged "bone" antler color (over the pure white undercoat).

I'm glad I took the risk and tried it.
Me thinks it came out OK! It's a ten foot job (nobody could tell from 10 feet away!LOL)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05185.JPG
    DSC05185.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 578
  • DSC05184.JPG
    DSC05184.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 577
  • DSC05187.JPG
    DSC05187.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 588
WOW! The Faux Stag turned out BEAUTIFUL! They look like the real McCoy! When are you going to start taking orders? Those would look really good on my J Frame. It's just got those plain black uninteresting ones now but it does make it look more scary. LOL!

Are the little dark lines grooved in to improve the gripping? That's my only objection to my pretty grips in Mother of Pearl and other pearlized colors. They are too slippery. I actually dropped my little Raven the other day at a friend's house. I've never dropped a gun before in my life. It hit the tile and didn't go bang...thankfully. I didn't have a bullet in the chamber.

It was VERY as in VERY embarrassing.

These are today's latest build. American black walnut target/carry grips
Criterial for project:
1. Shoot both single action and double action.
2. Recess for hammer for higher hold, yet be able to cock with strong thumb.
3. Finger grooves, and flared base for max support with minimum flare (a balancing act)
4. Thumbrest, but cut minimal so that I can use SL variant speed loader
5. Three finger hold on front
6. Narrow enough to carry IWB
7. Be able to shoot left handed if necessary
8. Supportive enough for one handed target shoot and 2 handed combat

These grips achieved all the above needs, so pretty happy with the design. I have medium hands, and these are very ergonomic, and supportive.
I shot bullseye with revolver for many years, so these come from my experience in making those types of grips.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05228.JPG
    DSC05228.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 520
  • DSC05227.JPG
    DSC05227.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC05232.JPG
    DSC05232.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 529
No pocket holster, just the gun, but nothing else in the pocket.
Years ago, my experience with J-frames indicated that a holsterless revolver and blue jeans was a combination that quickly wore a hole though the jeans, mostly from the sharp front edge of the cylinder abrading the denim. Admittedly, that was IWB with a Barami Hip Grip and not in a pocket.

Back