Suggestions for carry while running

MandolinMan

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for concealed carry while jogging/exercising? Both guns as well as methods of concealment. A little backround...

I live in a rural area and do most my jogging along country roads. Certainly not what I would consider a very "high threat" area, but having carried for a while now, carrying is just habit. No peace of mine when the guns not on me. My greatest concern is probably wild dogs that roam the area.:eek:

The first criteria is that the gun is as sweat proof as possible. Indiana summers with high temperatures and humidity make for clothes drenched in sweat after only minutes. the handguns I have considered so far are as follows:

glock 19 or 26( I hear the glock finish is very durable)
XDS 9mm or 45acp
ruger LCR
Ruger LCP

Also, what have y'all found to be the most comfortable way to carry while Jogging/ exercising?? bellyband perhaps??? Anybody have specific products they used and are pleased with? Thanks ahead.

I can't comment on how well it works, but after several recommendations, I'll be putting in an order from these guys for a PT-ONE.

Like I said, can't attest to the product, but might be worth your time to look.

I can strongly recomment the PT-One and related products from Pistol Wear. There are several of these in my holster bag, and I've worn them extensively over the past few years. To keep the product working well as long as possible, adjust the velcro once, then simply use the snaps to put it on and take it off after that -- since the velcro will wear out before the rest of the product does. You may want to consider adding a velcro based internal holster (such as the Stealth G3 from Coronado Leather) to hold the gun in the exact orientation and depth you prefer.

If the Pistol Wear band does not work for you for any reason, you might also consider running with a good fanny pack. The best IMO comes from The Concealment Shop, and is called the AE Pistol Pack. You'll want to pick up the phone and order the absolutely smallest size that will work for your pistol, to minimize bouncing. The rear padding on this pack make it among the most comfortable ones available, and the holster compartment is very well-designed for quick access.

Hope this helps.

pax

I have a small backpack that I put weights in when I jog, but it has a small side pocket with a zipper I usually stash whatever sidearm in there along with my Creds, not exactly a quick draw but I can get to it without having to take the backpack off. THe backpack itself weighs almost nothing.

I run. I carry. I don't carry running.

If you do want to carry, a Ruger LCP in fanny pack could be a workable solution.

Personally, I'd opt for pepper spray. Sweat and guns don't mix nor does sweat and chaffing.

mm, 9/6/13

I've been running five miles twice a week for the past fifteen years. Initially I left the carry pistol in the car until someone broke a window and stole everything they could including the hidden pistol. Since then I've been using a small waist-pack and a small alloy framed pistol or revolver. No problems despite severe sweating and with minimal bouncing. Once I used one of my stainless framed pistols and the bouncing encroached on some sensitive jewels so it was back to the lightweight guns. As Pax recommended I use an AE pistolpack from www.theconcealmentshop.com in Texas. They have a bunch of colors and sizes that work well. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Also a Sneeky Pete holster for a compact semi auto might work for running. Clips on the belt. Concealment in plain sight. Looks like a big cell phone case.

I run. I carry. I don't carry running.

I do not run, but I do walk. And I carry when I walk. Why? Because it is very, very, very common for muggers and rapists to attack people who are exercising. People who are exercising generally are already tired and do not have energy to fight back well. They are also often distracted, commonly wearing earbuds, and often in relatively remote places even in urban environments.

It is a good idea to remain armed during the times when you are a more attractive target.

pax

I run and bike with a Glock 19 at 1:00. I carry appendix when I'm physically active and all other times I'm carrying strongside.

Check out www.phlster.com for appendix holsters. The SKELETON or the ACCESS holsters are made especially for this.

How about a brace of derringers in ankle holsters. You'd be able to forego your ankle weights.

Hmmmm...any market for fake ankle weights that are really holsters?

I think it is more likely you will be attacked walking than running. When running the criminal has to make a quick decision and then has to intercept you. Not many street criminals have a training regimen, so they don't necessarily want to play catch even if the target is worn out.

I still carry when I run. ESPECIALLY when doing a really hard work out where I know I will be out of energy if attacked. I use a fanny pack with two small water bottles. and a slim internal pocket that holds my PPK tightly. It isn't the lightest thing, but I also often run with some extra weight anyways. All that running stuff should be past tense though. I even try not to run in Modern Warfare these days.

Concealed carry; active wear....

As more people buy handguns & get CCW licenses/permits, the need for clothing & active wear for carrying small firearms will increase.
There are a few high quality brands to look at.
The 5.11 Tactical line is impressive. It's good work out gear & offers support for small/mid frame sidearm.
Lenny Magill of San Diego CA markets a great line of shorts & shirts/tops for concealment. He also sells belly band type rigs.
Greg Kramer offers a mesh tank top in black or white that conceals small weapons but I've heard mixed results from a few forum members.
Im not a huge supporter of the bag or fanny pack styles but they may work well for some.
See these sites for sales/clothing items; www.glockstore.com www.5.11tactical.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.galls.com .

As for sidearms, Id look at the Glock 36 .45acp, the Walther PPS .40, the SIG P290RS 9x19mm, the Beretta Nano, the S-A XDs .45acp, the SIG P224 .357sig, the HK P2000sk LEM in .40 or .357sig.

I do not run, but I do walk. And I carry when I walk. Why? Because it is very, very, very common for muggers and rapists to attack people who are exercising.

Maybe where YOU live - NOT where I live - and the folks I see every morning when we are all out for our "morning constitutionals" are all in their 70s and 80s - I am the baby in the neighborhood in my 50's - and there has NEVER been any semblance of that activity, or loose dogs biting, or even cars running into folks or dastardly devils breaking into your open house while you walk

Sounds like you need to live in a better neighborhood

^ Why do you need a firearm? You'll never need to use one. Just call the police and they'll come save you.

Constantine I think DasGuy was using sarcasm in response to BigD's smug description of the wonderful neighborhood he lives in. Of course that may have been sarcasm too...:rolleyes:

Constantine got what I meant.

There's a lot of people that don't think we should have guns, and that's the kind of reasoning they give.

BigD,

That's nice.

I think it is more likely you will be attacked walking than running. When running the criminal has to make a quick decision and then has to intercept you. Not many street criminals have a training regimen, so they don't necessarily want to play catch even if the target is worn out.

John Williamson,

When a person is attacked while jogging, it is not from a bad guy who was doing something else, saw and suddenly sprints after her. It is typically from a criminal who loiterers along a well-known jogging pathway, or next to the trail where she jogs every morning.

Google "attacked while jogging" and you will see what I mean. There are even quite a few of them that have happened in "good neighborhoods", and even some in Florida.

pax

Back