Suggestions for a first revolver invited.

What is the used handgun market look like up there ? A Ruger Security Six in stainless is an excellent choice.

pathdoc: Have done a little bit of shopping around and was able to handle a .357 Magnum revolver labelled "ALFA Stainless, Model 3551C", apparently made in the Czech Republic. Does anyone here have experience with these revolvers, specifically with regard to long-term reliability? The gun feels OK, if somewhat heavier in the hand than my S&W M&P, although this is probably a matter of attaining familiarity. Single-action trigger feels very, very nice. Double-action is passable, possibly "heavy", but I have no other recent revolver experience against which to compare.

That was all the shop had in at the time. I will try to handle a couple of other brands before committing to a sale."

It didn't take but one google search to confirm you don't want one of these. There have been a number of reviews. This was the only one I looked at.
https://www.gun-tests.com/handguns/revolvers/357-magnum-revolvers-sw-easily-outdoes-czech-import-2/

Have done a little bit of shopping around and was able to handle a .357 Magnum revolver labelled "ALFA Stainless, Model 3551C", apparently made in the Czech Republic. Does anyone here have experience with these revolvers, specifically with regard to long-term reliability? The gun feels OK, if somewhat heavier in the hand than my S&W M&P, although this is probably a matter of attaining familiarity. Single-action trigger feels very, very nice. Double-action is passable, possibly "heavy", but I have no other recent revolver experience against which to compare.

That was all the shop had in at the time. I will try to handle a couple of other brands before committing to a sale.
Not at all impressed with the fit and finish on the one I handled a while back. And who knows what level of customer service you can expect, should you encounter any problems.

Just be patient and wait for the right S&W or Ruger. As I said before, both companies have had their struggles with QC over the last several years, but both have reputations for excellent customer service and will generally do a great job of resolving any issues that arise.

SPECIFICATION

Intended use: Casual shooting, possibly IPSC revolver.

Restrictions: I live in Canada, so ultra-compact revolvers are off the table (minimum barrel length is at least 4 inches IIRC) and self-defence use is not a consideration. The silver lining is that I don't have to be able to wear it all day, it doesn't have to be concealable, and I can carry it holstered openly when on the range.

Considerations for calibre: I have all the necessary gear for reloading 9mm, and have considered a 9mm Parabellum revolver for commonality. I could down-load 9mm for low recoil without cycling issues, but this raises the issue of what happens if light loads meant for the revolver end up in the automatic - not dangerous, just frustrating.

The alternatives, therefore, are .357 Magnum and .38 Special. A .357 Magnum revolver suggests itself due to being able to use both types of ammunition, but can the experienced hands tell me if there is any downside at all with feeding a .357 a steady diet of .38 Special? The only downside of this is the need to buy an extra set of reloading dies, have bullets in the ever so slightly larger calibre, etc.

Ruger GP-100 4” or longer if you prefer.

It will live a boringly long & lazy life on a steady diet of .38 specials & would live forever stout .357s.

Personally in your shoes, I’d search for a Wiley Capp GP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Colt night cobra. 6 shot. Super great trigger. Good weight. Not too light. Good sights. No snag grip. 500-600 price range before the C

Back