Stupid Question: Primer/Powder Shortage

Nathan said:
I pray this is true. I would be willing to struggle with primers to have millions more like minded people speaking out in support of gun ownership....

More than 35 million NICS checks this year, not including this month. That's up from last years record breaking 28 million. I've also heard about 40% this year were first time purchases.

Ammo manufacturers are also running 24/7 and can't keep up, and components will go to ammo before reloaders.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/11/16/vista-outdoor-billion-profits/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJKovIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCgQ2DV0n6Q

Last edited:
Hard to imagine how so may guys got caught with their pants down. I have been stocking up for the past 3 years in preparation for 2020.

Don

Hard to imagine how so may guys got caught with their pants down. I have been stocking up for the past 3 years in preparation for 2020.

I think 95% of people who shot prior to Obama/Sandy Hook, etc were prepped. It was mostly those who just started in the last five years that were caught pants down

People assume this when you complain, but I’m flush with primers. I’ll possibly run low on Federal 210 gmm or Fed 215 gmm this year, but I doubt it.

I’m thinking about peddling some primers I’ll never use. Struggling with the right way to do this. I don’t think $40 a box is the right way, but at today’s prices, I have enough spares to get a pistol project or buy a custom action!

I figure it this way, if guys are getting $100.00-$200.00/ brick of SPP’s then mine are too valuable to sell, and it’s too expensive to buy any now. Good thing I have close to 50,000 in stock.

@ jet

only people I have or would sell to are competitors that I know and trust, not someone I would suspect of turning around and reselling for double or triple what I sold them for

Nathan said:
I’m really confused by the great powder/primer shortage of 2020...

How did we get here? Was it just folks wanting to reload tapped in the house? Did the riots drive reloading?

We had a glut of stuff at the end of 2019...what happened?

Where are all the primers and powder? Did a bunch of folks build pole barns and fill with components?

The ammo industry is a mess. This has happened twice in like 5 years. Heck, even the crap wrap recovered.

Your profile says you joined in 2001 so you have lived through several panics and your asking how and why ? You should already know the answers to your own questions...

Your profile says you joined in 2001 so you have lived through several panics and your asking how and why ? You should already know the answers to your own questions...

Exactly! And not just guys new to reloading are being effected by this, guys who have been reloading for years are whining when it's their own fault for not being prepared for this.

Don

I was tempted to post just one question on the Federal factory video...
Can you make some ammo for me?
I know they're cranking out, but it appears to be headed to someone else's ammo closet.

Back