Stupid bullets!!!

Modern hollow point bullets expand mostly due to hydraulic pressure exerted on the hollow cavity from the inside when striking living tissue or a medium that contains a large percentage of water. This can be demonstrated by firing a hollow point bullet into a deep pool of water. Thats one of the reasons why wet phone books, ballistic gelatin, and sealed bags of water are used for testing purposes. One of the reasons hollow points can fail is when the nose gets plugged on entry. The plug blocks out the body fluids that would cause a hollow point to expand.
The mercury is nothing more than a durable hydraulic medium sealed in the bullet cavity to initiate expansion milliseconds before it comes in contact with the liquid part of living tissue. The mercury's poisonous properties are a moot point.
Filling and sealing a bullet with mercury probably has more of a detrimental effect on terminal benefits than any perceived advantages, and is unnecessary with todays premium defensive bullets.

I never knew all that about the mercury increasing the expansion when it struck it's target. I believe that he was planning on the mercury killing by it's poison effects. like a non lethal hit with some of the mercury getting into the blood stream. Of course this wouldn't take effect right away (i don't think). Well, with what Dwight said i might think it could. I know of a kid that swallowed a little drop while playing with it years ago, adn died within a few minutes. Kid was 8 I believe. Started this thread and learned a little something i wasnt expecting to. HA.

"I know of a kid that swallowed a little drop while playing with it years ago, adn died within a few minutes."

How many times removed?

http://www.calpoison.org/public/mercury.html

Elemental liquid mercury isn't terribly poisonous by swallowing. The harm is in the vapors (like, the cloud that's be hanging around the shooter after firing a mercury-filled round).

NOW, that said, organic mercury or mercury salts are extremely nasty things. I have *no* reason to doubt the HgO story above.

The story was in our local paper. They climbed over the fence to a local power station. They found the mercury in the power station house. Also weht to school with him, but didn't know him personally. The power station was a Marshall-DeKalb Electric PS.

The other factor your friend did not consider is whether or not the mercury can cause the bullet to fly off target. When I was a Mortarman, we had to store the White Phosporous rounds vertically because if we let it lay on its side, the WP could cause a round to go off target if it settled to one side.

Oh well. Some people are gullible enough to buy off on hollyweird crap.

Back