Stunning conversion!

Tamara,

I read the "perils" thread, and I thought it was a hoot in places. Everybody's got a pet theory. Some rely on math, some rely on "street data", some rely on "common sense", and a few seem to have called the Psychic Friends Network for help. If I had to pick a single number to guide me, it would be muzzle energy, because energy is the ability to do work, and I wnat work done. Fortunately, I don't have to go by one number.

You pays your money (at the ammo store) and takes your choice. If you ever have to fire your choice at a human being, there are too many variables to be sure you will always have a one-shot stopper. So, in a sense, I agree with the point in the "perils" thread that there is no Holy Grail Stopping Power Formula. So what? Even without a formula, you can still maximize you chances by working on the variables you CAN control while understanding those you CAN'T control.

What can I control?

I can choose an accurate, reliable weapon over a POS. The shooter with a SIG 9mm is, I think, better off than with a Lorcin 9mm.

I can train myself to use it quickly and accurately. This is a big gain, because case histories suggest that the first one to land a shot on the other's person is most likely to win the fight.

I can choose calibers, bullet weights and designs. There are some obvious things in this choice -- I can confidently predict that a .44 Magnum is more likely to stop a bad guy than a .22 short, in the hands of the same shooter, given proper training with the weapon. "More likely" is the key phrase -- nothing is certain. Some stuff is less obvious, like the great expansion versus penetration debate, the "gelatin is not human anatomy" mantra, etc. My method? Listen to all of them, but don't get religion about any of them. IMHO, the ideal ammo is one that gets good marks under multiple people's systems. (Just for the record, this logic led me to CCI-Speer 124 gr. Gold Dots as a 9mm carry load.)

Tamara, And Ballistic gel doesnt tell you what the bullet does in a human target.

The Gel's value is in compairisons. DPF is Mathmatical Gel testing.

George,

Not dissing it in any way. (Although when was I determined to be a Jello Worshipper? ;) ) One thing you may be interested in knowing, though, in the interests of formula revision; I plugged GHDPF into my little Excel ballistics spreadsheet and the correlation between rankings sorted by GHDPF and TKOV is 1:1. Sort the data by either number and not one round changes position on the chart... (Both being momentum calculations weighted with diameter)

Much as I like my .44 Special 200gr LSWC, I have a hard time thinking it has better terminal effectiveness than .357 Mag 125gr or 158gr JHP's.

I'm just sayin'... ;)

The STI Trojan and the 40 Super. . .

I believe now that the Trojan (gotta love the name though, is it ribbed?! :D) has a 6" barrel in .40 Super. At least I have seen advertisments with that length.

Also look at the .40 S and the 10mm. In Power Pistol you get about 1500-1540fps in the 10mm with 10.6-10.7grs or 12.7grs AA#9. You get 1650fps in the .40S with 12.7grs of Power Pistol or 19.4grs of AA#9.

At what velocity is the Maximum Expansion of the 135gr round?

Just driving bullets to high velocities doesn't really accomplish much if that velocity shatters the bullet and penetration is shallower then the Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman marriage!

Now I am not knocking the .40S or any high performance round, as long as the bullets used in the loading of the round are driven within their performance envelope perfect!

Derek

Do you have leather (Holster and mag pouches) for your KZ-45 yet? The dust cover is a little too thick to fit in anything in my holster box except some junk nylon.

I don't own one...one of my shooting buddies does. He really likes his. It feels weird in my hand. The STI guns feel better to me.

At what velocity is the Maximum Expansion of the 135gr round?

Just driving bullets to high velocities doesn't really accomplish much if that velocity shatters the bullet and penetration is shallower then the Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman marriage!
"G35" over at GlockTalk has done some extensive experimentation with 135gr bullets at sickening velocities and everything I've read from him points to the projectiles disintegrating to give "super hickey" wound profiles when you get much beyond 14-1500fps, though the hollowpoint cavity would occasionally just collapse on impact as though it had been closed with a hammer.

I think there's a reason that most factory 10mm loads for this bullet originally designed for .40 velocities have been throttled back to the 13-1400ish fps range.

STI Trojan in 40 Super?
Try an STI Ranger in .45SMC.

I'm not sure about dustcovers, but a Yaqui slide should fit it with no problem if you have one for square trigger guards.

Gee, I dunno, why not just skip straight to .460 Rowland or .44 Magnum?

Nah.

Stout 10mm loads are about as much as I can handle for fast double-taps, me being a skinny-wristed girl and all. ;) If I just wanna make big booms and show everyone what a stout gun I can handle, I'll drag out my 4 5/8" Bisley Vaquero. :D

Back