Stuff to take to Africa??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My host sent me his list of stuff that he is carrying and let me tell you, this is going to be one comfy trip.
He has everything from cots to coconuts, and everything in between, including some things that I am not sure about the use of.
Some of it is undoubtedly language related, but others I am not so sure about.
Here are the weird ones:

costume
rusks
drie poot
petzl
braai tools
mieliemeel
gazebo

Some of this is known from my time in SA - maybe Rich or Robcon can help with what I miss.

costume - ?
rusks - a very hard pastry for breakfast
drie poot - ?
petzl - ?
braai tools - IIRC, Bar-B-Que implements
mieliemeel - just like grits - ground corn
gazebo - sun awning I "think"

HTH
Giz

There is a company named Petzl that makes high-quality headlamps for caving and whatnot. I think they make other stuff, but its their lamps that is their main thing.

Instead of taking a fanny pack and waterbottles I use a Camalback gearhawg with a100 oz water blatter it insulated and youve got a ton of room for extra stuff. Very handy item for carrying stuff while hunting the drinking tube also lets you drink without having to reach down pull out the bottle and so forth. You can even hook it on the straps and make it totally hands free. Good Luck and happy Hunting

I leave tomorrow!

I found out what some of this stuff is by querrying my host.

The "drie poot" is a fire spider to set pots on over the fire.

The "costume" is a tribal mask and loincloth thing that has become a part of his hunting ceremonial gear for some obscure reason. But then, I always travel with a rubber chicken (no further comment), so I guess that a costume of some sort is not TOO weird.

Ya guys, Petzl is a french company that manufactures everything from climbing/caving gear to helmets to lamps to *gulp*...rescue equipment.

Bet he's talking of lamps though.

Hueco

That's: "Via con Biltong Y Agua!"

Hydrate or die.

Thanks to all for the assistance and advice. I am OUT of here.
See you in three weeks.

Stay Sharp,
Mad Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back