Strongest 30-30 Lever Action

oddly enough Hodgdon's leverevolution will push the same pill in the same "M94" at the same speed without as much felt recoil, or push it faster with about the same felt recoil.

the thing is that the 30-30 was loaded with powder suitable for very short barrels, (fast burning) and that quick snap of energy is why they kick the snot out of you.

reloading cures that.

but yes indeed; most factory loads in win 94 30-30 do kick the snot out of you. especially if you do not hold the gun in tight against you.

that is one reason my first reply as to which classic 30-30 to make an ackly improvement to, my choice would be the marlin 336, and the ones i've had were pretty accurate anyway.

Well, MY .30-30 is a Remington. It is strong, but as Ken Waters said about the Winchester 54, the brass isn't. Although the .30-30 has the superior rimmed design that chambers all the way in and there is not the extractor groove hanging out in space like a lot of rimless rounds.

The strongest lever action in 30/30 would most definitely be a savage 99. Problem is finding a model 99 in 30/30 cal which was not that common. The 300 savage performed much better with superior ballistics.

I like the Savage 99, but in 30-30, they ended production in 1942. So surviving Rifles are seen as collectable rather than shooters.
If you can find a shooter grade 99, I would really hesitate to have it converted. The first problem would be to find a Gunsmith that can work on one. The rotary mag is a bear to get back together.
I think a better bet in a used rifle is the Marlin 336. Prices are not bad for a straight shooter. They are a bit heavier the a 94, and most stocks are set up better for scope use with less drop in the butt. To me they are pleasenter to shoot.
The 30-30 AI should get you at least 150fps over factory, if not more.
Good luck, have fun.

The 94 action is strong enough to hold more than what a standard 30-30 puts out. Even though the locking bolt is at the rear of the action, that locking bolt is stout. I also doubt a 336 would get indigestion with 30-30 + 10% honestly.

I would not defile a Savage 99 with reaming the chamber to AI. For one, any usable donor rifle will cost a bit. Second off, keep that rifle collector grade if you do have it.

PaulB, I agree,my 94 carbine is a bugger on steroids with federal 170 grn factory loads, I tamed it a wee bit by fitting a weaver side mount and scope but nowadays the factory ammo lies in my safe and I roll my own with cast boolits.
I have a BLR in 308 and load that with cast boolits as well, 177 grn gas checked and mule snotted loads that run about 2100 -2200 at the muzzle are the dogs danglies shoot fine groups at 100 yards too, after the first flyer!
https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=116857&stc=1&d=1714039735

Attachments

• 94 scope.jpg
    94 scope.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 12
Back