Striker 9mm, help me decide!

mendozer

So I was set on finally getting a Glock 19 gen 5 these last few weeks until I came across range and video reviews (granted form 2017 and 18) for all the striker 9s that were made for the Army competition. I'm honestly shocked at how poorly Glock did (not saying it's a bad gun by ANY stretch, but it lacks value vs the competitiors).

I've been thinking very closely about the CZ P10C or the Beretta APX. I was thinking VP9 but I've seen some inconsistency issues online plus the added cost doesn't really negate the fact that you'll be doing trigger work to it.

Seems like the CZ hit the ball out of the park with the trigger and ergonomics, plus the precise shooting. I've read some inconsistencies as well, but I've also seen the aftermarket respond with upgrades for the striker, springs, triggers, etc.

Then Beretta crept under the radar and I have yet to see a bad review on it. Not too many good ones, just based on sample size, but not one was bad.

No one locally has both for rental (heck alone one of them). I have a good online place for a deal, and I'm leaning towards CZ just from initial response and aftermarket parts. Beretta doesn't make crap, but if I want to change something, I feel like I'd be waiting forever for parts.

thoughts?

The Glock 19 is one that everyone should have in their collection, for sure. With that said, the CZ you're considering is an absolutely stellar competition. I think it has better ergonomics, better trigger, extremely robust barrel, etc. And it's about $100 or more less expensive.

As mentioned, the HK VP9 is also a stellar competitor and it's one of my favorite pistols.

Currently, the P-10 C is my EDC pistol and is very quickly becoming one of my absolute favorites, after a couple of minor changes. I think you'll be happy with any of them.

I haven't had much experience with the Beretta. I've heard it has pretty good ergonomics but the trigger isn't the greatest. The slide LOOKS goofy to me, but I hear it has great traction - but so does the CZ P-10 C, and it looks better, in my opinion.

50998065_10157127457227533_5354081925973671936_o.jpg

I like that HBI trigger on your CZ. I was looking at that should I get it. I have an online hook on a CZ p10C suppressor ready model for 400. I don't really want the threaded barrel, but this includes night sights, which i would be spending money on automatically, so it's a no brainer. I could always sell the barrel if I don't like it.

As for the VP9 I will NOT buy it new since it is quite a bit more. However, I saw a local listing for one for 560, with threaded barrel, night sights, and holster (2 actually OWB and IWB). For the value, that's much cheaper than adding up all those other things. I like the idea of the fully customizable grip (like say having my thumb side panel slimmer than the knuckle side panel). He's only including one mag, but I can buy one or two more.

For the P10 I'd buy it for 410 out the door, buy night sights (100-135 bucks), then MAYBE buy the HBI trigger at 65 bucks. roughly 600 perfected?

For the VP9 I'd be at 560 unless I talk him down, buy one mag for 35 bucks (to even playing field with new CZ), then MAYBE get the Lobos trigger for 90. roughly 685 perfected?

I say maybe for the triggers on both since I have no idea how I'll like them. I have a M&P 40 and I put the Apex trigger on it and have absolutely no regrets, but these both look much better than M&P stock trigger.

Also I was unsure about doing my own work on it. I read that HKs are a bit different in function. This one for example has a weird cable spring for a reset

So I was set on finally getting a Glock 19 gen 5 these last few weeks until I came across range and video reviews (granted form 2017 and 18) for all the striker 9s that were made for the Army competition. I'm honestly shocked at how poorly Glock did (not saying it's a bad gun by ANY stretch, but it lacks value vs the competitiors).

I've been thinking very closely about the CZ P10C or the Beretta APX. I was thinking VP9 but I've seen some inconsistency issues online plus the added cost doesn't really negate the fact that you'll be doing trigger work to it.

Seems like the CZ hit the ball out of the park with the trigger and ergonomics, plus the precise shooting. I've read some inconsistencies as well, but I've also seen the aftermarket respond with upgrades for the striker, springs, triggers, etc.

Then Beretta crept under the radar and I have yet to see a bad review on it. Not too many good ones, just based on sample size, but not one was bad.

No one locally has both for rental (heck alone one of them). I have a good online place for a deal, and I'm leaning towards CZ just from initial response and aftermarket parts. Beretta doesn't make crap, but if I want to change something, I feel like I'd be waiting forever for parts.

thoughts?
Lots of great firearms out there today, most of which trump Glocks.
If I had to pick between the two you mentioned, I would definitely go with the Steyr L9-A1.
Just say’n ;)

My vote has to go towards the CZ P10. I have one of the first ones out of the chute, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, OK, I'd probably trade it for a tangent sight Sig P210 or the fabled missing .45ACP Luger- but what goober wouldn't? Lol

I'm honestly shocked at how poorly Glock did (not saying it's a bad gun by ANY stretch, but it lacks value vs the competitiors)
Glock 19, Glock 43x, Glock 48, Glock 26....

Do a little research about that whole decision..it wasn't as simple as 'value of competitors'...Some more than questionable testing and behind the scenes 'negotiation' went on that led to the P320..which continues to have some 'issues' in the USArmy. A note, the US Navy Seals, after being offered the Sig, choose the Glock 19.

BUT shoot the ones mentioned..how YOU like it, not somebody else, will determine your choice. I have made that mistake, buying w/o shooting, that led to 4 pistols that were either traded or sold..at $ loss all.

I love the HK VP9.
I don't like the SIG P320.
I really like S&W M&Ps.

I don't know much else.

But for some reason when it comes to the striker fired world, I only carry Glock.

That may change some day, but not likely as I'm more into hammer-fired guns. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I love the HK VP9.
I don't like the SIG P320.
I really like S&W M&Ps.

I don't know much else.

But for some reason when it comes to the striker fired world, I only carry Glock.

That may change some day, but not likely as I'm more into hammer-fired guns. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm goofy like that as well.
I prefer Beretta 92's to every other semi-auto pistol, more specifically the Brigadier 92, I love them.
Mine are all converted to DAO.....which REALLY makes me goofy.
Yet the SA that I carry and shoot the most are my Steyr L9-A1's
Explain that!
LoL
:D

I would like to greet you with the same weirdo dance moves every time we see each other. lol.

I shoot my Glocks better than anything else. And I like them the least. lol ??????

thoughts?
Quit paying attention to the yahoos on You Tube doing silly amateur videos about pistols that are for entertainment purposes at best and IMO many are not unbiased.

The Glock 19 did outstanding in the extensive FBI testing and was their choice as their new main issue pistol The Gen 5 Glock is a result of developing a pistol for the FBI and is an excellent pistol. You can read more at the link below.

https://www.swatmag.com/article/fbi-issues-new-pistol-glock-19m/

In the end your choice should be based on what you shoot the best and the only way you can find out is borrow or rent the pistols you are considering and spend time shooting each.

I have no experience with the Beretta APX.

I tried the CZ P10C and was pretty meh about it. Nice pistol but in a crowded market of excellent pistols with a few I consider better including Gen 5 Glock 19. CZ also has only a 5 year warranty.

I own the HK VP9 and love it and IMO easily worth the extra money they may go for.

That said my CCW pistol as far as double stack 9MM is my Gen 2 Glock 19 I bought new in the early 90s and has never ever given me a problem and I shoot it just as well if not better than my other pistols.

BTW check this video out on the CZ P10C. I have not idea if the problems have all been worked out by but I hope so but these problems really turned be off to the P10C that CZ did not do their homework before releasing it. IMO CZ P10C also missed the mark being taller than the Glock 19 by about .2 inches. Smith and Wesson was able to make their M&P 2.0 exactly the same height as the Glock 19 and it is selling very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYRYTaLGtmA

Again do your best to try out whatever you are considering. As an example I really wanted to like the new M&P 2.0 Compact but after shooting it I found the trigger reach compounded with how far back the trigger breaks just did not work for my larger hands with longer fingers. However my HK VP9 is perfect for me and I love how the trigger breaks farther forward and the trigger on mine was excellent out of the box.

I consider all the pistols mentioned in the OP to be solid and reliable pistols, including the Glock. My advice would be to look for the features and the fit that you want, and don't look back.

Simple. Pick a reliable manufacturer -- which at this point is almost every manufacturer, with Taurus being a little sketchy over the past -- and buy the one that feels best in your hand. Bonus if you can rent it at a range and try it first, but all the business about "this gun is more accurate than that gun, this gun has more recoil than that gun, etc." is almost entirely subjective. Any of these will get you a reliable gun that's easy to shoot and will make you happy.

And yes, the CZ P-10C is a champ. The Beretta APX looks to be also, and I especially like their new compact model. But Sig, Springfield, Glock, Walther, Ruger, S&W, H&K, all fit the bill very nicely too. Otherwise don't obsess like I did :)

I like that HBI trigger on your CZ. I was looking at that should I get it. I have an online hook on a CZ p10C suppressor ready model for 400. I don't really want the threaded barrel, but this includes night sights, which i would be spending money on automatically, so it's a no brainer. I could always sell the barrel if I don't like it.

As for the VP9 I will NOT buy it new since it is quite a bit more. However, I saw a local listing for one for 560, with threaded barrel, night sights, and holster (2 actually OWB and IWB). For the value, that's much cheaper than adding up all those other things. I like the idea of the fully customizable grip (like say having my thumb side panel slimmer than the knuckle side panel). He's only including one mag, but I can buy one or two more.

For the P10 I'd buy it for 410 out the door, buy night sights (100-135 bucks), then MAYBE buy the HBI trigger at 65 bucks. roughly 600 perfected?

Pretty much. I got my P-10 C for $345 (dealer pricing). The first thing I added was the Apex Tactical magazine release which really smoothes out the stiff release from the factory. It was about $40.

I put Night Fision sights on this one with orange front and U-notch black rears. They're very similar to Trijicon HD and are less than $100.

The HBI trigger is awesome, but it's honestly not necessary. It cuts the trigger take-up by about 40-50% but the actual break is unchanged. I primarily like it for the aesthetics. I didn't pay for mine. I got it for free in exchange for some laser engraving services.

As for holster, I'm running a Tulster Profile in black carbon fiber kydex. Tulster is one of my absolute favorite holster makers. I've used dozens of other makers and they almost always come out on top. Incredibly precise fit. Very clean. And they're relatively affordable and fast shipping. I usually get my holsters from him inside of a week.

So overall, I'm about $550 or so into the gun and there's not much more of anything that I want for it. It's about the same price as what I could get a stock Glock 19 for, which I would be putting another $200+ into in the way of sights and trigger - all of my Glocks get Overwatch Precision triggers. Plus the P-10 C has better ergonomics, a better trigger, and a better grip texture. The internals are extremely robust, too. I've had a lot of issues in the past with some of the hammer-fired CZ's breaking roll pins and springs, but the P-10 C doesn't have either of these design pieces that would potentially cause the gun to go down. I've detail stripped it and looked for any potential weak points and have really come away impressed.

thoughts?

Thoughts?

How “poorly” did Glock do?

I’ve not read ANY of that.

The selection was made between the top two pistols and the decision was made prematurely - it was to occur after completingPhase II; the decision was made after Phase I.

See Small Arms Review YouTube channel for details.

Anyway, the CZ P-10C would be a superb choice.

As would the Glock 19X.

The VP9 is also a superb pistol.

I’m not fond of the P320. I love aspects of it, however.

The S&W M&P 2.0 looks to be a nice pistol.

The FN 509 is also a very good pistol - especially the 509T.

Of all of those pistols I prefer the CZ P-10C.

Try to shoot each of them (obviously) as they are all unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that the OP has looked at larger EDC choices..
Someone said that they did not like the P320 but there are a lot of different choices with the P320's
from the regular P320 to the RX version with the Romeo 1 Red Dot to the X-Series i.e. X-Carry, X5, the new P320 Pro.

The beauty of the P320 is that even though I have the P320 Compact RX by removing the FCU I can change the Grip Module to a X-Carry or X-Five etc.
even change calibers.
There is a lot of possibility's..
The OP deserves to at least shoot a P320, myself I think that it is a very smooth and accurate shooter.

For a smaller EDC option no one can diminish how very popular the Sig P365 is.
In it's Shootabilty and Accuracy in a small package!
New for 2019 is a P365 with a Manual Safety if that's something that you care about.

I have the P365 as well my P320c RX they are a Great EDC Tandem.
Definitely worth taking a look at and putting some shots downrange!

Whatever the ultimate decision..looking for a new gun is a fun search and I wish the OP well.
I hope that a new search is in my future..I just haven't decided what I need to search for as I said, I love my P Series EDC Tandem.
Maybe a 22 plinker..Hmmm?

WOW lots of overnight feedback, great stuff. I do agree that shooting it first hand is the best option, but from what I've seen, I can't access ALL these guns at rental ranges.

Before I bought my M&P40, I tested out the M&P, glock, and I think one other at a range. I shot the glock best in terms of accuracy, but hated the feel. So I bought the M&P because it felt the best, then LEARNED to shoot it well. Now it has an Apex trigger on it and I can shoot a matchstick at 15 yards. So I believe that learning your gun is more important than range test day as well.

I didn't mean that Glock failed any FBI testing btw, I was referring to the several "yahoos" online that test them for grouping, trigger pulls, etc. I wholeheartedly agree that glocks make beasts of guns...BUT I know I'd already be putting trigger work, grip work, maybe slide serration work into it. I don't really want to do that on top of paying 550 or whatever it runs around here. I respect Glocks, they elevated the striker pistol game. I just don't like the extra crap I'd have to do to make it enjoyable.

While I'm enamored with the P-10C, part of me also wants to say "hold on buddy, let them work out the kinks over the first two years". The VP9 has a loyal following over the last 5 years, must be for good reason.

The Steyr looks awesome from what I just read, but I'd rather not own a Unicorn that has limited aftermarket support or even gunsmith knowledge on. I do my mods based on youtube, so I need it to be at least a little popular.

I value ergonomics, trigger, serrations, and aftermarket support. That's why I lean towards those. What I'm hoping to garner here (aside from praises) is if anyone has had "concerning" issues with theirs. I won't be doing "Gauntlet" testing like MDC, so I don't care that the VP9 fared worse than the P10. I don't plan on swimming through mud with my gun. I have a CCW but since I'm a healthcare provider, I can't take my gun to work anyways, so I never really carry. But if I ever decide to, I have my M&P shield for that since it's so tiny and slim against my already chunky waist :)

My other 9 other than my Shield is an old S&W 5906 which was my first gun. At this point it's a range gun or a nostalgic gem (it reminds me of seeing local police as a kid and every one had one and I thought to myself 'I'm going to own one of those silver and black guns one day'). I usually take my MP40 hunting as a sidearm. I have a 1911 that is awesome to shoot, but it's more of a range toy than anything else. I had the goal of having one good handgun in the major calibers. I have 2 9s (full and compact), 1 40, 1 45, technically another 9 as I have the CZ Scorpion, then rifle and shotgun calibers. So this striker 9mm search is really just an excuse to buy another 9mm that's different than my trigger 5906 that I don't plan on selling.

P10 is obviously cheaper but adding night sights makes it 525 or so. The VP9 used with the freebies (about 300 in freebies) is already broken in and has night sights. So it's like I'm comparing 525 dollar P10 to a 260 dollar VP9, which seems ridiculous. So unless something's concerning about the VP9 (which I've yet to hear), seems like a "better" buy. I was leaning that way due to cost, but hearing all this feedback helps too.

Whew that was a lot.

but no, I'm not buying a Glock...or a Steyr :p

I won't be doing "Gauntlet" testing like MDC, so I don't care that the VP9 fared worse than the P10. I don't plan on swimming through mud with my gun.

As MAC himself says, there is an element of entertainment to the "Gauntlet" type tests and they shouldn't be used as definitive proof of anything. That said, the first battery of tests where a pistol is dropped separately into different mediums really isn't outrageous. A fall into water, sand, dirt, or mud is certainly possible depending on your environment. The VP9, in different forms, went through that test multiple times. It did pretty poorly every time. While I can certainly believe in a lemon, that would be a lot of lemons for one guy (and I could understand someone arguing he did it purely for attention, but to a point that also smacks of fanboyism). Coupled with the early issues the VP9 had where the trigger bar spring was becoming detached, I don't think the VP9 is a particularly robust pistol, and I say that as a person that owned one.

I have owned everything mentioned here except the Steyr, and some more pistols as well. Walther PPQ M1 and M2, CZ P10-C, HK VP9, S&W M&P, S&W M&P 2.0, Glock 19 Gen 3-5, SIG P320, Beretta APX, Ruger SR9, Springfield XD, Springfield XDm, and likely something I'm forgetting. Of those listed the ones I still own are the Glock 19 Gen 5, which I carry primarily, and the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. My Glock Gen 5 has a stock trigger (madness I know) and night sights. The M&P has an Apex trigger shoe because I don't like the articulating triggers, night sights, and Apex basepads because of issues I had with the stock basepads on the compact. In my opinion, any of the pistols above would be perfectly serviceable. A lot gets made out of what are, again in my opinion, not very large differences, and this is true when it comes to triggers. Differences I might notice while dry firing in my basement don't always appear on the range or moreso in defensive pistol classes.

Between the VP9 and P10-C, I'd get the P10-C again. I like the feel in my hand better, the trigger better (stock versus stock), and I honestly think it's a more robust pistol having detail stripped both and looked at the construction (and that's coming from someone that drank the Kool-Aid of HK for a long time). But again, that's just my opinion.

In my years of shooting all these pistols now for these past years I have yet to get to the point where I can tell by reading text what pistol will work best for someone else. I can't even do it for myself without trying first. If you're shooting out matchsticks at 15 yd with your M&P, it's not like you need a new pistol. Find what interests you.

Last edited:
Back