Strenghening the houses defense.

Looking at keys tells nothing about the security of a lock. That key could be operating in a warded lock and not a pin tumbler lock. The multiple bolts look great, unless they are going into a wooden doorjamb. The jamb becomes likely to fail.
Steel jambs in masonry openings and a steel door are about as solid as you can get for forcing. The jamb will not spring very far (I worked for an FD once and we had serious problems with these), and a good dead bolt goes far enough into the jamb to allow for any slight (less than 1/2 inch or so) of spring.

If they want to get in, they're gonna get in.

A local cemetary when I was a kid had three tractors stolen. The first time there was no lock on the shed door. Insurance bought a shiny new John Deere. Caretaker placed a new lock, then they broke the door and took the new shiny tractor. Another claim, another shiny new John Deere. Caretaker had an alarm system installed, and had an iron bar custom made to go across the doors. Thieves found the new door impenetrable. So they came with sledgehammers and knocked down the concrete wall and took another tractor. That was the last one. Another claim, another shiny new tractor.

I don't know why they stopped stealing the tractors. I guess they had enough of them.

If someone is coming into your house to hurt you, you need warning and defense. A dog and gun would suffice, although you may want a fancy alarm system, too.

If someone is coming in your absence to steal stuff an alarm system helps, and so does a camera. But be insured 'cause if they want in they'll bust in somewhere, somehow, and will have the most valuable stuff gone before the cops or you will get there.

I know a man who when he built his house he bought a very expensive vault door to make a gun room in his basement. He had lived in the new house afew months when someone took his tractor and drove it into the block wall of the gun room and stole his guns!

Some one mentioned dogs. German shepard

I like small barkey dogs, like a jack russel, no one will ever get into our house with out our knowing. Big dogs would be a derterent, but I want to protect the house and not the dog, she is the alarm.
Since this is a gun forum I will add this, many people talk about the best hand gun to have, its one place I dissagree with, I dont think that hand guns are the proper choice if you have children or neighbors close.
Snaped to the back of the bed is a short (pistol grip) pump shot gun with bird shot.
Granted bird shot is a week load, but from 10 feet its not much different than a slug and several thicknesses of dry wall will stop most if it.
But then again the last two rounds are 3 inch buck shot just in case I need it.

Back