Straw Purchase & stripped AR lowers

Not placing blame, but the law doesn't specify an age limit for receivers. The ATF has chosen to interpret it as 21, when it had previously been interpreted as 18.

The way the law is written it specifies that long guns can be purchased at age 18.

The 18 age is explicit for long guns.

Sine a lower is NOT a long gun, the age defaults to 21.

Your brother may or may not be able to buy the other parts for the AR... it won't depend on the government but who he is buying those parts from.

I think you are good to go legally with what you ask.... assuming you both reside in the same state.

We do live in the same state.

As far as his age and the parts, he would be giving me the money for them, and I would purchase them and assemble the weapon.

charge your brother

let your brother buy the upper,a lpk and stock.(or a rifle kit)
Charge your brother 100 bucks to assemble the rifle.
Buy a lower, assemble the weapon, give it to your brother.
He did not give you money for a gun. You gave him a gift.
you are not out any money. Just be sure to claim the 100 bucks as income.

And now a felony is committed for manufacturing a firearm without a license. It's just like reloading - if you charge someone for the act of assembly, you now become a manufacturer.

And now a felony is committed for manufacturing a firearm without a license. It's just like reloading - if you charge someone for the act of assembly, you now become a manufacturer.

Yeah I'm aware of that one.

The assembling would be part of the gift.

Only compensation I'd be getting is the option to borrow the gun when he's not using it. (Since I chose an AR-180b as my EBR, I don't actually have an AR-15)

Back