Strange grouping question

Ocraknife

I expect I'm not nearly as good of a marksman as most who post here but I'm not terrible. Anyway I was shooting at an indoor range today at 35 feet which is far back as it would go and did about average most of the time.

On one group, I REALLY paid attention to my breath and trigger control and shot what seems to be an impossible group (for me).

In the picture groups 1 and 2 were good but not very unusual for me with this ammo (it's cheap but very accurate out of this gun). I mean I'm happy with them but if I pay attention the results are repeatable.

Group 3 is the group where I really tried hard, breathing, sight picture trigger control and whatever else there is.

3_groups_zpsnkqfcpav.jpg

It is possible I shot 4 shots though the same hole? Is that do-able at 35 feet? The alternative is that I would have missed the target by a foot or more because no other unaccounted for rounds were anywhere to be found on the target.

I've put two in the same hole at that distance but never 4.

BTW the holes look funny because the back is all shot out. I just keep putting those Shoot and See targets over top of each other.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Did I shoot well or so bad I missed the target entirely?

It is possible I shot 4 shots though the same hole? Is that do-able at 35 feet?
Yes, it's quite possible. Looking at your target, I would score it that at least 3 shots went through that hole based on its shape. If I knew you had fired 5 shots, I wouldn't have had a problem accepting that a fourth bullet managed to squeeze through as well.

At 11-12 yards, that's a very good group, but it's not so good as to call one's credibility into question, IMO.

That's pretty good shooting and probably better than most people even on gun forums. Even the first 2 targets are better than 95% of what I see at the shooting ranges I go to.

What's the gun and ammo combo?

Thanks all. It's a HK V9 and the ammo is cheap federal aluminum cased range ammo but it's really accurate out of the HK for some reason.

As tight as your other groups are, the idea that four shots made one hole is quite plausible. Wilt Chamberlain shrugged off his 100-point game in interviews with the explanation that he averaged over 50 points that season, and to have one night that doubled one's average was not unusual. He was way more proud of averaging 50 for the season than he was of that single night. In your shoes, I would be proud of the overall group sizes you are getting.

It is possible I shot 4 shots though the same hole? Is that do-able at 35 feet? The alternative is that I would have missed the target by a foot or more because no other unaccounted for rounds were anywhere to be found on the target.

I've put two in the same hole at that distance but never 4.

BTW the holes look funny because the back is all shot out. I just keep putting those Shoot and See targets over top of each other.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Did I shoot well or so bad I missed the target entirely?

This is confirmed in bench rest matches with a moving backer. It is a sheet of kraft paper moving at a slow speed behind the target that would show all 5 shots spread out. They also use a stationary backer behind the targets that would show a cross fire from another shooter on to your target.

Yea, that's 3 fer. I don't spend allot of time on standards for accuracy, rather just shoot competition all the time. This was from a classifier at 12 yards with a G31 with Trjicon night sights running full house ammo under the clock, not breathe and squeeze, grip it and rip it. You don't actually remember looking at the front sights....

image37253.jpg

One time, one time, I shot a group with a S&W Model 625 at 25 yards that measured 5/8" diameter. Your first two groups are more like my normal groups. So,yes, I believe your group #3 is truly just a spectacular group, maybe so a one of a kind.

Point is, try to duplicated it!

Bob Wright

It is possible I shot 4 shots though the same hole? Is that do-able at 35 feet?
Yes.
I've put more than 4 through a .452" dia hole at about that range.(10 meters)
I don't recall the exact number - I believe it was in the mid 40's.
I was trying for 50 shots and fell a bit short.

I was shooting open sights on a Ruger .22/45 using a two handed stance.

I'd run a piece of 8x11 copy paper out to 10 meters, then fire a single .45 acp shot into the center of the paper - or as near center as I could get.
Then I'd load up the .22/45 and see how many shots I could put into the .45 cal hole without hitting the sides.

It was my variation on the Olympic 10 meter air pistol.

BTW - "impressive" as it sounds at first consider this.
40 something shots into a half inch hole @ 10 meters (assuming a two handed hold was allowed) isn't good enough to even get you an invite to try out for the "team".

You need to be able to put around 50, .177 cal shots into an 11.5mm target to get invited to try out for Olympic 10 meter air pistol.

BTW - nice shooting. Targets like that are something to enjoy.
The Olympic shooters are using state of the art equipment and they practice in their sleep.......

While they can probably outshoot a whole slew of people, it's not like they just pick up a pistol off the shelf and a box of stock ammo...

There's not much of an apples to apples - - but - - it does go to show what some people are capable of doing & it's not as big a rarity as some think.

It's allot easier with a .22LR. Good thing I don't see well enough anymore to be interested in actually practicing shooting one hole groups.

It's allot easier with a .22LR.
I find the .22lr far more of a challenge than a centerfire.
That's one reason I enjoy the .22 so much.
A centerfire isn't enough of a challenge.

You should give Steel Challenge a try then, lots of really fast guys running .22 rimfire division. The challenge is setup the same way all across the US, so you can compare your scores to everyone else. Rimfire division starts from the low ready.

Ask George Patton; he was denied an Olympic medal when officials could not find a distinct hole in his target and called a miss.
I score a lot of targets with an 8" scoring zone surrounded by a foot of material that would catch any "misses", and it's common to find holes well away from the group, but we're not concentrating on every shot with bullseye levels of accuracy as the goal; two touching holes count the same as two holes 6" apart, and fliers are not unusual.

The challenge is setup the same way all across the US, so you can compare your scores to everyone else
Pass...
I have zero desire to compete with anyone else on any level.
Other than an appreciation of something done well, I couldn't care less how I compare to someone else.

You should give Steel Challenge a try then, lots of really fast guys running .22 rimfire division
LOL! That would make quite the funny video! :D :D :D

Do they have a divison for fat old guys that have to hobble around with a cane & can't stand up for more than a minute or two?
:D

I had to look at a video of Steel Challenge to see what it was & man, they do too much running for me!
The only time I run these days is when I eat too much fresh fruit!
:D :D

Last edited:
Steel Challenge doesn't usually involve any movement.
There's a couple of courses of fire that do, but they are rarely used at any matches I've attended.
And you can most likely shoot from a chair.
Are you sure you weren't watching some other kind of game match?
Or are you referring to the run to the start line from the parking lot with arms full of gear, 'cause you were late? :)

Last edited:
Back