Straight walled cartridge idea

I’ve done considerable thinking on subject of straight cases since now legal Ohio deer gun.
I had 45/70 when laws came out and promptly got 44mg and 375Win. I decided the 375W was the one to get the most out of. I’ve now thinking sweet spot to be .40cal.

That 400AR I referenced in an earlier post sounds like it woulf fit that 40 caliber size perfectly.
They started they tests with 200 gr .40 cal muzzle loader bullets and after a number of tests, they reached the set goals.
The .400AR final load launches the 200 gr projectiles at a muzzle velocity of 2,312 fps with 2,374 ft-lbs of muzzle energy (at around 50K PSI of pressure). It also reaches pretty interesting numbers with .40 cal handgun bullets. Particularly, it pushes the 135 gr bullets at 3,042 fps.

Remember,you dealing with use in states that will or will not allow for high population density areas.
That why the 350Legend and 450BM caught on,in Zone 3 of Michigan and Indiana.

Devlopment time is EXPENSIVE for ammo companies to make "new" rounds.

I'm in the Zone 3of Michigan, and tried to get the .30 Carbine and .223REm allowed
tohelp elder sportsman stay in the game, without dealing with shotguns slug s and bad shoulders. Muzzle-loaders help but still limited in range, especially dealing with large cornfields.

Back in the early 70's, the canterfire .22's were allowed, but too much was expected from them.

Both the .30Carbine and .223, cans be used IF the hunter will practise and take specifc shots.

had a co-worker [from Wisconsin}, state that for deer drives back home, the Carbine was favored, due to ability to get multiple hits. [Not my style of hunting]

My daughter went out with me for aopening deer season, campping in tent, and she used my M1, with soft-nose ammo. I was back-up with m70 .308.

Had she not waited to last minute, I would have had her practise with my HBAR and 64 gr WIN power=points. No we did not get a deer. but had good time.

For straight-walled cartridge states which allow the use of mag-fed semi-automatics, it's real hard to beat the 10mm chambering on the platform of a compact fast-handing 16"-18" 'carbine'-sized weapon, ... provided the platform runs on reliable magazines, whether capacity-restricted or not.

Back