Storing NIB Handguns

Storing is a different scenario to regular shooting. If storing in a humid/wet environment, I suggest oil all surfaces (lightly) and place in a freezer ZipLock bag with all air squeezed out. Make sure the oiling gets into all the nooks and crannies. I like to use Ballistol in such matters as it will emulsify all moisture present during the packing preparation. When taken out your firearm before shooting, remove excess oil and clean-dry the bore of the barrel. (NOTE: I live in the highly humid South Louisiana!)

If storing in a humid/wet environment, I suggest oil all surfaces (lightly) and place in a freezer ZipLock bag with all air squeezed out.
Possibly even better would be a Food Saver vacuum sealer set up.
Trying to get past the why, but wondering about the how long. Military ammo cans will rust away n time. I think any method where you would have to dig up your firearms to check on them is nothing but a recipe for disaster when it comes to the condition the gun will be in.
But I guess the paranoia of survivalists has created the desire.
Didn't Mossberg offer a package with a PVC pipe tube you could seal their shotgun up in to bury it?
That might be another suggestion if the OP just must bury his guns for what ever reason. Depending on the size of the gun it could be well oiled/greased, sealed in a vacuum bag, then placed in a PVC tube with caps glued on each end.

You would still need to remove the air inside the PVC tube or it will become condensate. Want to store long guns long term where they are safe? Rent a safety deposit box at a really sound bank or credit union.

For long term storage in the ground, I don't think I'd use metal ammo cans. PVC would be much better. Seems like it would make sense to vacuum seal the guns in airtight bags, then put into PVC with silica. The ends of your PVC would need to be completely airtight...maybe closed with a threaded cap utilizing plumbers seal or tape to insure against entry of any moisture.

Last edited:
The only suggestion I can think of is to find the highest spot around and pick somewhere near that point. Choosing an area that drains well will help out as much as using the correct packaging.

Low lying areas can have a much higher water content for extended periods of time. If submerged long enough in an area that continuously has water present no amount of packaging will suffice.

If you're concerned about theft I'd take an old 5 gallon paint container and use that for storage in a dry corner of the basement. No one is ever going to break into your house and steal a old paint bucket. Surround the can with a couple layers of fire resistant gypsum board and you've got a fireproof safe that looks like nothing more than a long forgotten DIY project.

If you guys could better explain what you mean by "storing" your guns, I think the solutions would be a little more clear. I have kids so my guns are locked up in my safe. I can control the humidity in my safe a heck of a lot better than anywhere else. Buy some good quality weather stripping and put it around the door. The only other hole should be where the safe is mounted and the hole for the Golden Rod dehumidifier. You can use a rubber washer before the metal washer to seal most of the mounting holes and you can duct tape the power cord for the Golden Rod. The main advantage is your guns are protected from theft and fire as well as humidity.

I don't want anybody I don't allow to find mine. That's why they are in a safe, in a secured room, with entry only through another secured room. But I can get to them easily whenever I want.
Not sure burying them in the outdoors is secure at all. Metal detectors and such. Plus I have much more fun using mine than worrying about how, and where to bury them. I can't take them all to the range at the same time, don't have room for them all. But they do all get their range time throughout the year.

If you guys could better explain what you mean by "storing" your guns
From his other post it sounds like he plans to buy a new Super Blackhawk, and bury it in the back yard like a coffee can full of coins to be dug up later. Then sold for a profit if Ruger stops making them.

I will be getting a New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag or similar. Disregarding recoil what is the best barrel length for Ruger only loads? Will I get more velocity out of a 6.5'' over a 4.62''? Could you use faster powder in a short barrel and get the same speeds?

I am thinking on it as an investment so what do you think would resell best if they discontinue the Blackhawk?

Buying any NIB Ruger Blackhawk as an investment is as bad an idea as burying one. You can get a used one in the $500 range pretty easily. Spending $800 on a new one and shooting it drops the value down $300 over the course of a couple cylinders of ammo. The Blackhawk has been made since the 1950's. Even if they stopped producing them today i'd guess they will not be collectible in my lifetime.

The Redhawk is slightly more expensive but retains it's value much better. Still not a good investment but better than a Blackhawk.

I am thinking on it as an investment so what do you think would resell best if they discontinue the Blackhawk?

Bad idea; guns are NOT a good investment unless VERY rare (with Providence), and Rugers do not fall in that category.
Put your money in the stock market and watch it grow when invested wisely.

FITASC said:
Bad idea; guns are NOT a good investment unless VERY rare (with Providence), and Rugers do not fall in that category.
Put your money in the stock market and watch it grow when invested wisely.

+1 on this post. A case can be made for certain collectible guns, but even then, buying some good stocks will give you much better returns.

From an investment point of view. I am 67 and my wife is 69, we are enjoying retirement. Being older years ago we moved all our investments to the low risk investments. Last year the ROTH averaged about 8.0% return which I am real happy with. Considering what a low yield a savings account has and the fact we keep investments low risk. I can say with some certainty I doubt the guns in my safe are worth 8% more or increased 8% over 2016. I just never saw guns as a good financial investment. When I check out, assuming I leave before my wife she can give some to the grand kids and sell off the remainder.

Ron

Liberty makes great safes!!!!

Maybe good enough, but Liberty safes cost about double what they ought due to their heavy advertising. Compare the amount of steel in them with other lesser known makers and you will see you do not get your money's worth.

Maybe good enough, but Liberty safes cost about double what they ought due to their heavy advertising. Compare the amount of steel in them with other lesser known makers and you will see you do not get your money's worth.

Just used Liberty as an example of something much better that burying a gun in the back yard like a coffee can full of coins!:D

Back