Storing NIB Handguns

sixgunnin

How should I store new handguns in a wet environment without a rust problem? I have heard of using expensive bags but is that the best option?

How about putting several boxes in a big ammo can?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Shoot them.
Then they won't be "NIB" any longer, and the rust won't matter.

Inspect and oil regularly.
Seal in a controlled environment.

Most guns come well oiled from the factory and can be stored just as they are if they haven't been handled a lot or wiped down.

Any container that keeps the boxes dry will help and you can put in desiccant packs.

The best thing would be to find a dry storage area if at all possible.

RIG grease is a top notch rust inhibitor. For long term storage wipe the gun down with RIG. Placing them back into the foam in the original box will help attract moisture.

If by "Box" you mean the usual ones made of cardboard, storing your guns in them might be bad in itself.
Cardboard attracts moisture.
Collectors may cringe, but living in an area of very high humidity, I toss them.
Cardboard around here not only attracts moisture, but all kinds of bugs unless it's sealed with clear coat or the boxes with your guns are put in ziplock bags.
Cheap and effective, especially if the guns themselves are wrapped in silicone cloth.
If you want to use ammo cans, be sure they have seals for the lid.
If they don't, you can make them with suitably sized rubber tubing slit and glued into place.

Last edited:
Large military ammo cans or similar large military storage containers with a rubber gasket. I would toss in a few Desiccant Bags to keep the inside nice and dry. Really, all you need is a good dry environment, relatively dry which most desiccant bags will get you. Then toss in a few of those Humidity Indicator Cards. I leave desiccant bags in my safe with a few indicator cards. They typically maintain a 40% RH. Every now and then I rejuvenate things by baking the bags out. You also do not want the air so dry wood hand grips begin to crack or split.

Ron

Are we talking about long-term storage or just between taking those NIBs out and shooting them now and again? Montana doesn't strike me as very wet - at least when compared to Florida, Louisiana, etc. Any good product that doesn't migrate (like a good grease or paste wax) that keeps air from the surface will suffice - remember to also coat the insides of everything if you're talking a out long-term storage.

1. How wet of an enviornment?
2. Why are they being stored NIB instead of being shot, and enjoyed.
3. For how long do you intend to store them?
4. Why "In Box"? Why not in a safe, with a dehumidifier as they should be kept. With the boxes stored elsewhere

Get them out of the boxes...so you have air circulation.

A good oil like Rig #2 ...is probably all you need...unless you're talking long term ( then I would go with grease ).

Montana isn't generally a damp environment ...where the heck are you ?

Long term storage underground. Ruger plastic boxes.

Burying them in an ammo can. Don't tell me why not to:) (fire and theft are the main reasons.)

I scavenge the silica packs out of everything I buy that comes with one and drop a few in each pistol case.

Never had anything in storage that long, but it's something

Pretty much every new gun I've purchased comes well lubed, often so much so they need to be taken apart and wiped down before using (unless you like being splattered with oil). Any gun I've bought that comes in a cardboard box only (Les Baer :rolleyes:) has the gun wrapped in a plastic bag. Even guns in plastic boxes (most recently, a Ruger Mark III Hunter) came wrapped in a plastic bag inside the plastic box. As long as the guns have not been handled (leaving salts from sweat), I feel very comfortable leaving them in the plastic bag. The cases that concern me the most are foam cases. The foam can trap in the moisture and cause rusting. This happened to me on my STI Edge which was a real bummer.

I use the Golden Rod dehumidifier in my safe along with 3 Remington plug in dehumidifiers. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...hHBmMn4m13fjAvgFM0sRTjXL8Wk-qb0-bUaAki58P8HAQ I constantly rotate one out to recharge.

@15plus1,
Scavenging silica packs may be a false sense of security. Once the packs are saturated, they are useless unless recharged (by heat). They sell large bags of silica for dehumidification, but they need to be "recharged" (dried out) in the oven once they are saturated. https://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-Silica-Dehumidifier-Gram-Reuseable/dp/B000N5QECU

Silica gel

The silica gel packs are pretty much forever. as long as they get baked every now and again.
I do mine every 6 months or so. Throw em in a warm oven for a few hours and they are GTG.

Dry is a good thing. I live in a very wet place. No rust issues, thanks to Silica Gel.

(fire and theft are the main reasons.)
Liberty makes great safes!!!!
Guess thay don't have one to address paranoia though.:D

Last edited:
I have heard of using expensive bags but is that the best option?

If I remember correctly, handgun sized, BoreStore bags are about $20.00 each. Very small price to pay to protect your handgun.

Every six or so months I remove revolvers from storage bags, inspect, and wipe down with a silicon cloth. Once a year I give the storage bag a quick shot of silicon spray.

peggysue
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Bible.

Long term storage underground. Ruger plastic boxes.

Burying them in an ammo can.
That would pretty much help insure Rule #1!:D

I can think of only two reasons for "Burying" firearms.
1. You're not supposed to have them.
2. Paranoid that the Guvment men will take them away.

Back