Storing firearm

Open vs closed cell...What is the neoprene stuff they sell as floor anti-fatigue mats at HFreight? Is that closed?

Sgt Lumpy

There is an advantage that the Glock finish has, though it may be ugly, it does protect the gun pretty well.

Just make sure that the finish is not scratched and you are fine.

How about storing bullets in a humid climate?

I lost my SW442 to a squid round at the range. Lucky not to have injuried/killed myself or the people next to me.

I have half a dozen handguns for HD, and the whole point is NONE of them are secured in anything that would restrict or delay their immediate acquisition and deployment if necessary. They are of course, concealed in discreet places in the various rooms of my home, but the whole idea of HD is to "have a gun" RIGHT NOW - not in a minute or two after traveling to a distant room and fingering a safe. During a home invasion, a lot can happen in the first 10 seconds; purposely "securing" a HD gun so it cannot be quickly retrieved from wherever you happen to be about the premises is to completely miss the point.

Yeah, yeah, I know all about the child safety argument - your own kids and their untrained friends and all, and that might make some small difference in storage decision-making. My suggestion for situations where your kids' friends might be sleeping over and such is to lock away your guns, but home carry one on your person! Rule No.1 is always "Have a gun."

I live in the MO. and the humidity here is almost as bad as TX. (and that's not exagerating as visiting relatives from OK. have told me not to invite them up here during the Summer) :eek:. Point being that I have NEVER had a rust problem with my modest collection of firearms by 1) Removing the foam from my safe 2) using a AC rechargeable desiccant (don't like to fire-up the oven to recharge)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...-dehumidifier-400-gram-protects-30-cubic-feet

So for a drawer I would do likewise , no liner and a desiccant.

I lived in the Carribean in the mountains where humidity is close to 100% and the salt shaker is reminiscent of a watering can when you are inside the clouds above 3,000 feet. My Beretta 950 BS back-up turned brown no matter what I did. The Glocks were not affected by the climate.

Once when I travelled I had hidden a Glock 17 where is was flooded for some time. The extractor had a little rust on it that wiped off easily enough.

As to ammo being moisture sensitive, I have dropped reloads into water overnight and for extended periods to check the effects. With a properly sized case and crimp, the ammo worked fine. Military ammo has sealed primers and sealed bullets to make sure that long term effects of humidity cannot compromise function and reliability.

Back