STORAGE

Trex is a type of composit plastic that is used to make deck boards and fence boards. If can be cut by most saws and can withstand more force then a dowel.

Even though a lot of people have used crisco in the past and continue to do so, it really isn't very good, especially in summer months.
it's a poor lube. doesn't do a very good job of keeping fouling soft and on warm days most of it will "blow" out of the unfired cylinders when you shoot one.
Animal fats seem to do a much better job in keeping fouling soft.
The easiest is beeswax and lard. You can buy pure rendered lard at any grocery store. Some claim Mutton / sheep is the best, but not easy to get.

Mix the lard with equal amounts of beeswax --- both in melted form.
Let cool check the consistency. too hard / soft for your liking?
Add more lard to soften. you can make several different consistencies for different applications. also works good on door hinges.

you can dip it out with fingers and put under / over ball or saturate some felt wads with it or even cloth / pillow ticking etc.
Approx 40 yr of shooting BP here and have never had a chain fire.
I have loaded all 6 chambers capped only one, no cross fire.
Never did an over ball. never had a cross fire.

How long can you leave loaded? who knows
Real BP and most of the subs have a type of "salt" in the mixtures. Salt is corrosive to metal.
The mixture appears to be more corrosive after firing.
Both before and after firing it does tend to want to absorb moisture.
I mostly use paper cartridges and conicals now days. As an experiment because some one asked. I pulled the balls from two random chambers and then the paper cart. In these two the paper had NOT burst.
So the paper would be insulating the powder from the metal so less or no corrosion. Also would tend to prevent air moisture from getting to the powder.
I have left some of mine loaded 2 plus years, and they have still gone boom.
Have had a dud cap now and then. replaced it and boom.
To be fair I have had dud caps from a fresh opened tin. It happens.
I Live in the Wyoming mountains. fairly low humidity, but the gun has been left in hot / cold truck 8 hr and back in the warm house over night. numerous times. always a consistent boom when fired.
Hope this helps

Was goes between powder and ball, never used one over the ball. I have tried a number of casual experiments leaving cylinders loaded; using a lubed wad they still fired after a couple of months but with noticeably less pop as some of the powder had become fouled. The best result was using real FFFg with a completely dry cylinder and a dry card or felt between powder and ball, capped. But capped can be dangerous, especially off the gun but if you sealed them otherwise (your vacuum sealer) that should do. Left one for over a year loaded dry and capped, fired perfectly and no noticeable rust in the chambers.

Back