Stopping power of .38s and .45s

"If your target is not braced against the bullet, then one shot I would think from a .45 or even .38 could stumble him back a bit"

Stumbling back from firing a 45 or 38 is the result of lack of coordination and motor skills, certainly not from a lack of bracing to fire those calibers.

My 8 year old nephew who was 65 pounds could fire both calibers flat footed, leaning back at the waist to hold up the firearms. He didn't brace, he didn't stumble, or anything else like that, probably beciase he didn't know any better and had no preconceived ideas that there some some "power" there he should know about.

Stumbling? Not from the force of either of those two rounds, braced or not braced.

"2 to 4 shots quickly placed from a .45 or maybe even .38 could indeed knock a man back."

Yes, and if that occured, it would be a phychological reaction to the event, not anything to do with impulses on the body.

"NOW, combine the above statements with the fact that the target is not only getting the equal energy from the recoil of your gun, he is also getting a bullet drilled into him and probably even one that is mushrooming inside him (HP or HS) tearing his flesh and crushing bone.

The recoil impulse of the gun is caused by the mass of the bullet being forced through the barrel by edxpanding gases [ a controlled explosion ]. No one being shot is experiencing that if hit.

"It isn't the fist that knocks you back but the pain from it."

Are you saying that if I make a fist, plant it firmly on your chest and start to gradually push you to the rear that somehow the "pain" is knocking you back? It might be time for you to realisitically reconsider the thought processes you have on this subject.

"Also, the target is most likely not expecting the force of the bullet hitting him."

People have tested being shot with rifle rounds while standing on one leg without ANY effect or being knocked back, falling over or any other such effects.

People REACT to being shot in various ways. The bullet is not moving them at all due to any "impulse" generated to their body by the bullet.

If people are stumbling back while firing a 45 or 38, they need to PUT THE GUN DOWN AND MOVE BACK AWAY FROM IT, until they have someone with enough knoweldge show them it is not a physiological event thats causing them to stumble.

Robin Brown

Last edited:
Back