Stock Shotguns and Urban Myths....

I guess she wouldn't like 3"magnum slugs in a NEF Pardner single shot either :D. I bought the durn things for a Mossberg 600 (2.75" only), and it (NEF) was the only 3" gun that I had. It would clear your sinuses.

At retirement, Md used 18 and 20" bbled 870s exclusively, and they went to some extended mags as I rolled out the door. I had been calling for same for ten years, but have no idea if I had anything to do with the decision. I favored the extensions as much for extra weight as extra rounds, the troops had trouble dealing with the stock 870s and a few more oz would cut the kick considerably.

When I was a rookie, there were some long barreled WInchesters for the towers. There were 12s, a few ancient but excellent 97s in inventory,and a number of 1200s. The last didn't stand up to the work. All had full length bbls and tight chokes, mostly Full and Fuller(G).

Rhese days, tower guns are 870s, usually Improved Cylinder. Towers are often more than 100 yards apart. Good thing we keep Mini 14s up there also, huh?

And Shawn, I'm past tense,retired Jan 98.

And I take living seriously and a shotgun is a dandy tool sometimes for not assuming ambient temperature. Plus, I like shotguns.

6 for sure, does your nose ever bleed when you touch off that cannon(G)?

Well I own two shotguns, both of them are NOT stock.
Both are Mossberg 590's, without the ghostring sights, however one has a "Speedfeed Stock". I have recently ordered the ghostring "rear sight assembly with screws" and a new barrel with a front sight.
By the time I'm done, I'll have a M590 with ghostring sights (sans heat shield) and a M590 that I sorta tricked out. Put pistol grips and a tactical sling on it.
You know what, in the tight confines of my house, and the heavy brush behind my house, I actually LIKE it. Now don't get me wrong, one of the reasons I'm putting ghostring sights and a new barrel on baby #2 is that accuracy does come into the equation. And although I can hit a B-27 silhoutte at 15 yards with the pistol grips, if I had to take a shotgun, and my life was going to depend on that one shot I'd take the Mossberg with the sights...
But hey that M590 with the pistol grips sure is fun!
Guess I have my cake and can eat it too! :D

Back