Stock Refinishing Issue

I won this gun in a raffle back in the Spring of this year and noticed the water spots from the outset. I suspect that the gun was not 'brand new' when I won it. Very new, but not 'unfired, brand new.' I know that the wood fit flush along the sides because if it had not, I would have approached the donor about it. Water spots - no big deal. (I thought!) Poorly fit stock on a Beretta - big deal.

I just went to the safe and checked my Beretta 685 and my stock is proud of the receiver by about the thickness of a playing card. On my Antonio Zoli, it is proud by about half that amount. The only O/U I have that has a stock that sits flush with the receiver is my old Marlin 90 and that stock got sanded and refinished by your's truely a few years ago. It could have easily stuck out a tad before I sanded and refinished it.

Bottom line is that your stock looks perfectly normal to me.

I can live with a 'proudness' of the thickness of a playing card. This, however, is not the case. The stock is proud of the firing mechanism by 1 - 1.5mm, which is, and I'm guessing here, the thickness of about 10 playing cards.

If it bothers you that much, you can easily sand and refinish it. It should be an easy one-afternoon job to get the sanding done.

Thanks. I'm trying to get up the nerve to try it. My first effort at refinishing/refurbishing kind of went whacko on me, obviously. I know I can do the sanding and get it to fit flush by just going slow and being careful. Being new to refinishing and somewhat of a novice, I'm concerned about getting the finish to match. I appreciate everyone taking the time and making the effort to help and suggest.

morrowjg,

I can see why you want it fixed, as it wont fit right around the tangs, and have a wide crack at the front, and at both sides of them. If that doesn't fit correctly, it could lead to the stock cracking or splitting. This is generally what causes it on all doubles, except its really caused by age and shrinkage, though box lock actions are generally less prone to do it.

The only thing that I can think of, that you might be able to do, is bend those in, using oil and heat. I'm not sure if heat alone will do it. This would be the same process as stock bending, but your trying to pull the tangs inward, instead of bend the grip.

There are a few videos on stock bending at YouTube, showing them do it correctly. You would need to modify it, like you have with the clamp, and will still have to refinish this, as the method will destroy any finish.

Back