Still shooting with these ammo prices? - No need for gun control!

Mrs Schlitz got very serious about shooting at the beginning of the year & since March we've gone out every weekend, now almost 40 weeks in a row, shooting 500-700 rounds of mixed 22,380,9mm, 45 ACP & Colt.
We're in great shape & can easily continue this into next summer when hopefully things loosen up. In the mean time I reload through the week for our weekend training/practice & while I'm going through the components I've got a ways to go before running out. We've been scrounging a lot of range brass too, surprised everything isn't getting picked up but I just finished reloading 400 223 rounds this week that all the casings were scrounged + a couple hundred 9mm found brass that I loaded up & added into the mix. Been finding 22's at Walmart pretty regularly & adding to the stockpile. Scheels had CCI small pistol primers last month-200 per customer so we got 800 over two days while they were available-might be the last of 'em for a while but it helped stretch my supplies out a bit more.
We have shifted to more 22's, adding in some black powder pistol/shotgun/rifle as well as the single action revolvers to slow the pace down a bit & had the 22 air rifle out knocking down little steel silhouettes that was fun too.
I'm optimistic that this too will pass & as long as they don't ban hairspray & potatoes I'll always have at least one gun I can return fire with :)

Still do, the same as before. I conserve and improvise during the good years.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How old is your ammo? I am wondering how long a stash would last.

Pistoler0, I've used fifty year old military surplus ammo with no problems. When it comes to what I am willing to base my self defense on, I take only ammo made within the last ten years.

If anything I shoot more now than I used to. I probably don’t go to the range as much as many of you gentlemen (and ladies), but I definitely go more than what many have cut back to. About twice a month, burning through as much ammo as I want. Usually several hundred rounds of pistol, 20-50 of each milsurp caliber I brought to play with, then the C&B revolver and flintlock until I’m tired of loading. The only thing I’ve cut back on any at all is large volume .223 shooting. The only reason why there is I’ve a blue million rounds to practice with in time past and it’s more boring than my other toys, hence I did not have as large a supply of reloading components because I shoot it much less. Problem is, I ignored this non passion so much that I got caught with my pants down with small rifle primers. Mea Culpa.

Reload. Get into casting. Plan ahead just a little bit. You don’t have to have tons of money to do these things. I have 3 kids at home and don’t make tons of money, so money for hobbies is always tight. I still try to keep at least a few thousand of each primer, plenty of powder in a good variety, and molds/lead/projectiles.

Black powder shooting slows things down without sacrificing the experience for me.

It allows me to give the Smokeless a little time off.

The archery option is a great idea, but since I don’t do that, reckon I will get out the cheap “Smith and Wesson” throwing knives I got from Cabela’s... back when they used to be Cabela’s.

I'm hitting the range twice a month on average, about 200 rounds each session. I could shoot more but I tend to stop when I feel myself not focusing like I should.

Yes, it makes you wonder. I have shot only 22s for the last 4 years and I have stocked up on pellets for my air pistol.
Copied from post #3

Pres Biden(#46) and Pres Harris(#47)(next year at this time) will be taxing the air for the air gun shooters..

I was watching a youtube video the other day where the guy in the video was interviewing a woman that worked at a small gun store. She said that one of the other reasons for the increase is that ammo distributors have started charging shipping costs which isn't cheap. Apparently, if you're a LGS you used to qualify for free shipping if you fell above a certain tier, meaning, if you spent X amount of $ ammo. I do not know if this is true across the board for all LGS's so take this with a grain of salt. It might explain why some big box stores like Scheels can have lower prices on ammo compared to small mom and pop gun stores.

Air gun pistols and rifles

ro7cCe6.jpg
x9WdG7O.jpg

Walther LGV

pCzz8EO.jpg

MIOkie said:
Black powder shooting slows things down without sacrificing the experience for me.

It allows me to give the Smokeless a little time off.

The archery option is a great idea, but since I don’t do that, reckon I will get out the cheap “Smith and Wesson” throwing knives I got from Cabela’s... back when they used to be Cabela’s.

Agreed ! Although not directly resulting from the current panic, i've been learning and shooting antique military BP muzzleloaders and my 1874 Sharps 45-70 . BP is more about patients and methods vs just sending lead downrange. I've spent far more range time shooting BP vs. smokeless over the past 2 years. I've made some new friendships at my gun club with guys that are hardcore BP shooters and civil war historians and i'm just loving the knowledge learned.
I've been through several past panics, and this current one is cutting deep. Not only is the typical "smokeless" guns / ammo / reloading components disappeared , but now desperate shooters whom cant find the above have moved down the food chain to panic purchasing air powered guns and ammo. Furthermore many have sought to panic impulse buy BP muzzleloaders . It's shows that many gun guys don't care what they shoot they just have to shoot something that sends a projectile out of a barrel. Next will be pea shooters and potato cannons .

I still visit the range twice a week. Have more than enough ammo to outlast this crazy panic buying. I did the same during the last drought. I stock up on a lot of 22lr and 22 magnum as I train with this and than just before leaving I shoot my conceal carry only shooting 2 or 3 cylinders or 2 or 3 magazines last so as to maintain muscle memory from the larger caliber rounds.

I just sold 250 rds. of 9mm —same price I paid to a friend—for $75. The stored 3,000 remaining rounds are seldom touched.

Having heeded good advice years ago allowed a large reserve of 7.62x39 (0ver 12,000) and .22.
So-called “ammo cash”, no longer needed, allowed purchase of a S&W 908 handgun.

Why did other people Not buy it- if they had any ammo cash, were legal age, not living in South Korea etc?

Last edited:
Pistoler0: and with so many unanticipated job losses and reduced income since the Chinese Virus spread, I don’t see how people will be able to afford anything greater than a few small boxes of .22LR.

Those 250 rds I sold at cost were to help a young guy in his 20s.

Furthermore many have sought to panic impulse buy BP muzzleloaders.

I literally watched 1858 NMAs dry up everywhere back in July/August as I was hemming and hawing trying to find what I wanted. After watching them go out of stock almost everywhere, and the prices started jumping up on GB, I ordered one at a decent price from Dixie Gun Works. Pretty much in the nick of time.

Back