Still Looking for a .223 Bolt

baddarryl

Hi all. I have been driving myself crazy looking for a .223 bolt. My requirements are at least a 1:9 twist or faster and a 10 round detachable magazine. This has left me with the choices I think from Tikka CTR, the Mossberg MVP and Ruger Scout M77. None of which I am likely to find on the used racks :(.

I am more into the idea of a 20 inch barrel, but just came across the idea of the Scout. How accurate are they? Any other choices? Primary use will be for punching paper 2-4-600 yards. The 10 round mags are for Appleseed. Thank you.

Well there is a guy on this list trying to sell a 223 bolt, "Anyone having a Problem selling gung"?

It may not be spot on what you want but he would give you a good price.

Just looked... 2 pages of Howa 223s ranging from barreled actions to scoped packages, aprox $378 and up depending.

You could run Magpul DBM on a Remington 700 and get your 10 round mag requirement met. Or go PTG DBM and get the same result. Sure it's more investment but it opens your options up substantially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a very accurate Savage 10 FCP-SR that I'll sell you, but it doesn't have a 10 round mag.

Well there is a guy on this list trying to sell a 223 bolt, "Anyone having a Problem selling gung"?

It may not be spot on what you want but he would give you a good price.

I have seen that, but would be too afraid to beat that thing up on the range! Beautiful rifles.

You could run Magpul DBM on a Remington 700 and get your 10 round mag requirement met. Or go PTG DBM and get the same result. Sure it's more investment but it opens your options up substantially.

PTG DBM? And are there 700's with a higher twist?

I have a brand new unfired MVP Predator 20" Fluted barrel. I have installed a Bushnell AR 3-12X40mm scope on it. I'm wanting to sell it. I bought it on a whim but hunt yotes with the AR all the time. So PM me if you are interested.

2eltvsp.jpg

The 527 is a darn good rifle, and has everything the OP might be looking for, with the exception of the ten round magazine. I only know of one ten round magazine made for a 527 and that's the custom one my gunsmith buddy made for my 527M in 7.62x39mm. I have asked some magazine manufacturers to look into building higher capacity for the 527 series rifles, but the demand really isn't there - most people buy bolt action rifles for hunting, plinking or target, and a 5 round mag isn't much of a handicap in those circumstances.
If you can accept a 5 round mag, the 527 would be an excellent choice, and the 527M is a light and very handy carbine that comes with iron sights as well, good for all kinds of knock around uses.

I have been very happy with my CZ 527 in .223. Mine is the Kevlar Varmint model with the HS Precision stock. I just punch paper with it, and it is super accurate. Here is a review of it. He is critical of the set trigger, but I love it. Again I am just target shooting, but it gives you two options for trigger pull.

http://www.snipercentral.com/cz-527-varmint-kevlar/

My son plinks medium sized apples at 400yds with his Savage 10GXP3 Rifle and Nikon Monarch 4-16 scope and my 68grn handloads. Young eyes and a steady hold is something I miss.

Back