still can't tuck in my shirts...

I also have had trouble finding a good holster when I need to tuck in a shirt. I have found that a belly band is an OK option. I don't like IWB; (I have enough inside my waist band. :p )

Magnum Wheel Man[/quote said:
I carry my wallet & a folding knife in my left front pocket, & 2 medium large rings of keys in my right front pocket ( change ends up there also... but I do my best to tip that off, or dump it in the console of my truck, rather than mix it with my keys ) my cell phone most often goes into a shirt pocket, unless I'm wearing jeans that have the lil side pocket it can fit into... since I spend a lot of time at my desk, or driving I don't really like bulky things in my back pockets... I have one of those slip over wallet looking holsters for my TCP, which is what I use if pocket carrying, though I mostly do that with cargo pockets... I'd not want to sit on my gun...

lately I've switched from my TCP, to one of my S&W J frames, on a belt holster at between 3:00 & 4:00 depending on the belt loop spacing of the pants I'm wearing...

looking up the Remora holsters, as I've not checked those out before...

When I need to carry, my pockets are full, and my shirt is tucked in, I see that as a prime time to ankle carry. It's a more difficult draw, but so is drawing from a tucked shirt. I also use an ankle holster if I am driving or sitting a lot, as I am in a more natural draw position.

I would no reccomend the Remora holsters for your purpose. Clipless holsters don't work well with a tucked in shirt, as they rely on friction between your belt and body to stay in place, and tucking your shirt in puts something in between the pants and the holster. I use sticky holsters (similar design), and they just won't work that way.

Another option are the concealed carry shirts that have the pocket under the armpit for a small pistol that you wear as an undershirt. I have never used one, but it might be an option for you. (example: http://www.amazon.com/TRU-SPEC-Conc...6508973&sr=8-1&keywords=concealed+carry+shirt)

To the OP

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm curious: How did you come to belt carry? I'm assuming you mean outside the waistband. I've been carrying for less than a year, and I'm finding IWB carry rather uncomfortable. Since you're a ten year veteran carrier I'd like to draw on your experience (pun intended).;)

I am also tall, and a pretty good walk around. I use Theis Hibrid holsters for Kahr CM9, Ruger LCR, Charter Bulldog, and Springfield XD40 Subcompact at various times, in various weather conditions. Quite often also a LCP in a pocket holster in my front pocket. My simplest solution....I don't tuck the shirt tails in!
But I have tried a couple times just to see. The blousing method works well, but that may not be what you want because it isn't a trim and fit look. More loose and casual.
Fortunatly I am not required to present a proper formal dress, and probably wouldn't if it were required!:D

Remora type holsters are better than nothing and don't use any clips or loops.

I use the desantis nemesis for this role when I have to keep something tucked in, without any visible clips showing.

It's not ideal, and works best if your belt is fairly tight and the wearer is not huge, and you're not moving around all day, and it works better for some than others. Works best with lighter, flatter guns.

Forget quick draws, forget reholstering, but your gun will be there. Just tuck it in, tighten belt, and go.

Practice at home for a while so you know if the gun will shift around or not Ina remora or nemesis.

Use a shoulder holster under your dress shirt. I carried my SS M-60 .38 S&W for years and even wore a tie..

Last edited:
I sympathize with you...it can be a hassle...went through this type thing for 30yrs. This kind of thing is the reason that, now, if it won't go in my pocket...it stays home.

What about a murse, such as a Maxpedition bag?

It isnt the fastest access, but it makes the gun available. I can't carry at work, but elsewhere it is just another small bag that has my Kindle, wallet and phone in it. The gun is in a zippered compartment.

I agree with Peggysue about the shoulder holster. I've never liked belt holsters they're uncomfortable, print easily, and have a tendency to slide down slowly throughout the day, requiring constant readjustment.

A good shoulder rig will be comfortable, almost invisible, and possibly carry a reload or two. Draw time is slow, although in emergency you could probably pop the buttons on your outer shirt to speed things up.

Belly band may be an option too.

Ill second the Smart Carry. You can easily carry pretty much anything, and you dont even need a shirt.

They are just about as fast to access as an IWB type holster, even while sitting. Very comfortable to wear, all day too. I have a couple, and they are my most versatile holsters, and Ill never be without one.

Shoulder holsters are about the worst. They are the easiest to spot, and thats under a coat, under a shirt would be even easier. They are not all that comfortable, especially towards the end of the day, and feel like a ton on the top of your shoulders and around your neck, and thats just with a gun in one. Add a reload or two, and its even worse.

If it absolutely has to be, a Galco "Executive", or a Ken Null "SMZ" would be my choice. They are very minimal holsters, and can work under the right cover garment, are reasonably comfortable for day long wear, but I still wouldnt think a shirt would work. Your also limited in the size of gun you carry with them.

You'd be better off with something like a Kramer Confidant undershirt holster. They do work, and very well, and are fairly easy to access. Just leave a button under your tie open, and its even quicker.

Prior to the Smart Carry's, I used one in just the capacity youre considering, and it worked out very well. Given the choice now though, it would be the Smart Carry without hesitation.

I have a couple of tuckable IWB belt holsters, but dont use them that way. The loops/attachment points still show, and your shirts just tend to look messy. Other than that, worn appendix, under a tee shirt in the summer, fleece or sweatshirt in the winter, they are my favorite way to carry/conceal a full sized gun, and the quickest to get at. IWB is very comfortable once you get used to it, and very stable. If the gun is moving around, and you have to keep adjusting things, youre doing something wrong.

With all but the Smart Carry's, if you wear a fitted shirt, your going to have to change them out for something fuller in cut. Just something to keep in mind.

JCV... I fall into that group that has 7 or 8 different holsters sitting in a drawer :o

OWB just seemed the most comfortable... just requires a long enough shirt... also keeps the gun separated from my sweaty body in the summer... I actually only tried one IWB holster & hated it, & pretty much belt carried from the start... have one belly band ( always seemed like I was wearing a girdle, & was hot in the summer... ankle holster seemed to flop around unless it was tight enough to cut off my circulation ( as a type 2 diabetic, I'm concened about foot circulation ) haven't found a shoulder holster that fits me well enough yet ( big guy & long through the middle )

Last edited:
I generally carry OWB at about 3:30 or so. I wear my shirts untucked. If I have to tuck in or wear a sweater or something a bit tighter, which is seldom, I wear a DeSantis belly-band. Gun, for me, goes cross-draw under left armpit. Mine is indistinguishable-YMMV. A Redhawk, for example, would likely print, though I would believe it too heavy for this application. I would suggest a t-shirt underneath, as it is more comfortable that way. Certainly not quick-draw, but actually, what is, other than OWB OC?

Of course this is for primary only as I always carry a BUG in back pocket.

Only holster I've used for years is the DeSantis Nemesis for CCW's.Gun shifting around has'nt been a problem,while working on the farm or shopping.Practice helps speed the draw,while concealability and retention are excellent. :D

shoulder holsters are great. and allow for CC of any sized gun. i don't think it's a good option though unless you wear a buttoned up shirt. my company used to have buttoned polo's, i had a couple made with false buttons and a zipper in the midlle, was awesome for a shoulder rig. but now switched to just the standard polo with the 3 buttons up top. i carried with the shoulder holster for a couple months with the standard shirt; trying to get the thing untucked and pistol in hand was very difficult, time consuming and blatently obvious. so back to the IWB and sometimes pocket carry. i am considering getting something better for the pocket, would like to get my hands on a curve to see how that feels. not a big fan of the curve on paper, but maybe it''l fill a need.

anothr guy at my office just picked up the NAA .22WMR with the little belt-clip plastic grip, that thing looks like you have a pocket knife clipped on and wouldnt arouse any suspicion, at my office anyways. if only there were a double action that tiny. i think the NAA is perfect, but i don't know how i feel having to pull the hammer with every shot and not really having the option for a reload. anyways, just thinking out loud

Has anyone tried a Desantis SOFTuck? Based on some reviews I'm thinking about picking one up. It looks like it'd be ok with a tucked in shirt, either a polo or dress shirt.

Have you looked at N82 Tactical holsters? They have a 'tuckable' IWB holster expressly designed for dress shirts. I don't have one myself, but I got one for my brother who works in a law office and is required to wear dress shirts every day. He says that he's completely happy with it.

I carry an LC9S with laser in a BlackHawk #3 pocket holster in my deep right pocket, well hidden. The best jeans I have found are the dress Wranglers with front pleats. They are comfortable and concealed for my use but always by my side for quick use. I've tried Cross Breed as best for inside slacks, but find those a a bit more uncomfortable against my waist as I stand and sit.

Back