STG-44 Advise.

FALPhil said:
With regards to this particular gun, there may be other technical violations.

You mean like the full-auto push-pin trigger group?

That'd be like owning an early push-pin HK-41 and a G3 "S-E-F" trigger group. "Constructive possession" all day long.

For what its worth, this is the reply I got... he was not happy in the least

What I wrote:
If you are in possession of the parts that can readily convert that rifle
into full automatic, are you not technically in possession of an automatic
rifle?

His response:
Absolutley not.... Anyone can own a lower. Anyone can own a receiver. Anyone can own a parts kit.
This Rifle is 922 compliant. You cant just stick the lower on and have a full automatic weapon. This has many things changed to comply with federal regulations... Obviously you have no education on this subject. Gunbroker also takes offense to people e-mailing and harrasing dedicated customers who provide a service to the public.
Are you interested in purchasing the firearm? or are you just wanting to make an ignorant comment?

I sent him a nice letter of apology. Hopefully I didn't overstep my bounds here, but I was curious.
I hope he doesn't get arrested though...

Edit:
I'd also like a bit of a clarification. You guys are tossing around the word "constructive possession" like it means possession of the parts necessary to "construct" and full auto weapon. I though it was originally a law definition for having possession of a item, without actually possessing the item. I can see how the two definitions overlap, I was just curious as to which one was more correct. Thanks.

Further edit:
He also changed the description, adding this bit:
*** Because of ignorant people sending me e-mails I need to make sure everyone understands , "You cant just switch out lowers and get this firearm to fire on Automatic".... You would have to reverse the conversions, purchase a Fully automatic operating rod/bolt carrier, de- solder the slots in the receiver, etc. So please if you do not understand firearms and laws, please refrain from comments..*****
While I am no expert on this subject, I wouldn't want to do business with someone who personally insults people for legitimate concerns. Bad karma for him...

Last edited:
If the gun has BATFE approval, he's good to go.

The original wording of his ad was what set my spider sense tingling. You have to admit he made it sound like he's selling the gun, plus everything you need to make a buzzgun out of it.

The thing everyone's been calling a "lower receiver" is a trigger pack, and is not the "receiver", as defined by the BATFE. I'd imagine, given the similarity of construction between the StG-44 and its lineal descendant, the G-3, that legal precedents established for the HK rifle would apply here. As long as adding the FA trigger group won't make it a buzzgun, there should be no legal problem, but you're out in a gray area with a lot of these parts kit guns that rely on BATF opinion letters.

"Consrtuctive possession" means what you say it does, and has been used by the BATFE to describe the situation where one, say, owns an AR-15 and all the M-16 fire control bits. Even if they are not in the gun, the BATFE considers you to be in "constructive possession" of a machine gun.

The original wording of his ad was what set my spider sense tingling. You have to admit he made it sound like he's selling the gun, plus everything you need to make a buzzgun out of it.
That was my assumption to, hence why I asked him. Getting a rude response was not warranted, IMO. Some people are just grumpy I guess :p

And if I had the money, I would have certainly added that to my collection. WWII weapons are like Pokemon. Gota catchem all...

If you really want to see some fun, tell him you are forwarding his offer to BATFE to confirm his claim that the gun is legal!

Note that he never said the gun was BATFE approved, he said it is 922 compliant, which applies to the percentage of US made parts in a semi-auto rifle, nothing to do with the gun's status as an auto weapon.

Tamara, those parts kits can be made into semi-autos by a licensed manufacturer, or even into automatics for demos or for LE use. But the parts kits don't include the receiver or (recently) the barrels, so he wouldn't have the original receiver. There is something very fishy here. There were a fair number of StG DEWATS sold in the early 1960's and I suspect someone got hold of one that was never registered and decided to make it "legal" by converting it to a semi-auto. That may not be done, as I pointed out above.
The 1968 law required registration of ALL machineguns, including DEWATs which had been sold as "non-guns." If a DEWAT had been registered, it could have been reactivated to full auto by paying the $200 tax. Making it a semi would be very stupid.

The seller here is either very ignorant, or playing games with his own and his customer's freedom. He is also very arrogant and nasty, characteristics that often go along with stupidity and ignorance. My advice is to give him a very wide berth. He already has given himself enough rope for a hanging.

Jim

Jim Keenan said:
But the parts kits don't include the receiver or (recently) the barrels, so he wouldn't have the original receiver.

I think the seller is making the common mistake of calling the trigger pack a "lower receiver", but that's just my read on the situation.

Back