Steyr M40 problems report -- you can call me crazy...

Emin

I picked my new M40 on Thursday night, degreased it thoroughly, lubricated with Militec, and started counting hours until Friday, which was the day I had planned to test the "wicked cool".

First, the bottom line: the new Steyr M40 is the best gun I've ever shot. More specifically, M40 shoots better than my absolutely beloved Sig for it has extremely low bore axis and thus, much less muzzle flip. Furthermore, its polymer frame absorbs recoil more efficiently, so it's very light. In fact, .40 S&W acquires a whole new attitude with this pistol and becomes a finely tamed beast.

It shoots better than Glock 23 which was the pistol I almost bought before giving a chance to Steyr. The reason? Much better grips give the shooter a fuller advantage of low axis (bore axis is also quite low on Glocks), and most importantly, the sights. Yes, those beautiful triangle/trapezoid sights... What I have found (and I remind you it's very objective) is that this particular shape in a way "disciplines" the shooter to be more accurate -- the sharp tip of triangular front sight is a much better pointer than any dot-shaped one. You see exactly where your shots go as well as any deviations from the perfect aim become more obvious.

A little complaint here right away: the sights are finely made overall, but the white bars on the rear one are very small and thin and can be hard to see in dim light. Easily correctable issue for the company, don't you think?

So, here you have a great combination of excellent grip, low position of the slide, good aiming sights, crisp and comfortable trigger, large recoil-absorbing polymer frame -- seemingly, what else one might need to be a happy camper? Well, I'll tell you exactly what -- an ability of such pistol to shoot every round it's fed. And that is where my Steyr M40 has failed miserably...

I fired about 150 rounds of CCI Blazer 180 gr and Speer Lawman 165 gr, a few Federal HydroShock rounds of 135 and 180 gr weight, and a couple of Winchester SXT 180 gr. All ammo was factory manufactured. CCI and Speer, of course, were FMJ.

Every 7th of 8th shot, the pistol clicked as if dry-firing (but lighter) and didn't shoot. Upon extracting a misfired round, I consistently saw a very light and most of the time off-centered indentation mark on its primer. It happened less frequently with CCI ammo probably because its primer had to be struck lighter to ignite due to a thinner wall.

My suspicion is (please do correct me if I'm wrong in any way!) it may not only be the problem with the firing pin but, possibly, with the positioning of each cartridge after it's been sent to the chamber. It's just that on all of the normally-fired cases, indentation marks were right in the center, whereas on the misfired cases, they were both in the center and off-center. Why would the pistol not have some of the normally-fired cases with the marks off center? Another reason I thought it might be the round-positioning problem was that although the pistol never "failed to feed", racking the slide gave me a very various feeling from a mag to mag — sometimes it was very smooth and sure, sometimes with grinding feeling and obstacles.

Well, this is a big one, and for this exact reason my M40 is currently possessed by FedEx to be on its way to GSI.

Now the smaller problems I encountered -- yes, misfiring was not all it did wrong!

1. The slide does get scratched with ejected brass — this one's famous. Honestly, I'm not surprised at all considering the serial number of the pistol starts with 00.

2. The magazine, when inserted into the pistol, stops on its way in and, unless twisted around its long axis, simply doesn't go in. I think it's the magazine catch itself inside the grip frame — it sticks out a bit too far inside the grip and, thus, has to be aligned with and pressed by a very small specific area on the top of the mag to give in and compress. When you twist the magazine around its long axis while continuing to press it into the pistol, you'll finally align this small area with the magazine catch and the magazine goes into the grip smoothly.

Well, folks, that's all. But to me, the most important decision related to this experience with a totally new product (and the one I may one day very well rely with my life on) is that I decided to...keep the gun. Yes, I'm willing to give it every chance there is. Once it's back from GSI, I'll shoot the hell out of it, and should I encounter any more problems, off it will go to their gunsmith again! And again! Until they fix every damn %&*#@!$ defect and make it a good reliable weapon. I must do it for as I'm typing this, I'm still experiencing the pleasant memories of how this gun shot (when it didn't misfire, that is :)). It was simply that good...

Emin

P.S. Would I do the same favor to a Glock or any other pistol? Simply put, I would try hard to get rid of it any way I could, or it would be shoved into the deepest drawer in my house and never in its life feel my right hand on its grip.

[This message has been edited by Emin (edited January 08, 2000).]

Sometimes when you have to send a product in for service I think you can come out ahead of the guy who gets one that works at the start. That's because your gun will most likely get a more thorough analysis than the standard quality check they do at the end of the assembly line. No, I wouldn't wish for a problem child to just seek service, but once your Steyr proves itself after you launch mega rounds thru it, you can feel assured that the entire gun has been checked out by the experts at GSI.

[This message has been edited by Cecil (edited January 08, 2000).]

Thanks for the warning. I am going out tommorow in hopes of finding either an M-9 or an M-40. What you said about the pistols performance outside of the failure to fire, gives me hope. Let us know how things go after you get it back from GSI. Good luck.

jjc2

Emin,

I had the same misfiring problem!I was shooting Speer Lawman 180 GR. The first 50 rounds no problem. After that it went to ****......Sent mine back to G.S.I. on Thursday. The gunsmith(Herbert)told he put in a new firing pin and will test fire on Monday.

Cig

You might have read my recent post that I just got my M40 back from GSI. Herbert did the ejector port tapering fix to take care of the slide scratching problem. He said that Steyr engineers at GSI also went over the gun with a fine toothed comb. After hearing all this I felt quite pampered :)

At any rate, my 16xx series M40 works amazingly well now. I was almost ready to pick up a 9mm since all my other .40 pistols felt more like a .45 when shooting them.

The M40 is a perfect vehicle to tame the .40, as well as being very accurate. In fact it's just as accurate as my .357 SIG pistol, which is a heck of a complement.

I just spoke with GSI yesterday. They are definitely putting the ejector port fix on all M40's and even M9's coming of the manufacturing line now. The M9's don't really need it but it cuts down on manufacturing overhead.

If you look at the top front of the ejector port and it has an angled 45 degree cut to it, instead of 90 degrees, then you know you have a new model.

Regarding degreasing: I heard of one other person who completely degreased his gun and couldn't get it to work well afterwards. I'm guessing that if a complete degreasing is done, then the pistol needs a "complete" disassembly so each of the critical parts are correctly lubed, such as the firing pin channel, etc.

Normally if I have problems with a new gun, I just immediately trade or sell it off. But I'm willing to work with GSI because the M series pistols really are that good, and their service is quite good as well. I'm afraid my Glock is collecting dust now.

I got my new M-40 for Christmas (Serial # 0017xx). I bought it because I wanted a bigger framed compliment to my Glock 27. I love the looks and feel of the gun. I have shot about 200 rounds of 165 grain remanufactured ammunition sold by Cascade (at a very good price I might add) without any feeding or misfiring problems. I have also shot about a 1000 rounds of the same ammo through my 27 without problems so I am sure that if I have problems it would be the gun and not the ammo. I have not cleaned it yet but when I break it down for inspection I really don’t see a need to do so (just like my Glock).

When I first got the gun I was using the tip of the triangular front sight to center the target but was unable to hit within the black. I then started to use the center of the triangle similar to centering with the dot on a three dot sight and only then did I start hitting the X. I was wondering if this is the case for others because it seems (if I am reading correctly) that Emin uses the tip of the triangle to center.

I am getting brass dinging on the slide (and occasionally on my forehead) and GSI said to send it in for modification but I think I will wait until I get some more rounds through it to make sure there are no other problems with the gun. Additionally, I wasn’t too pleased with the looks of the slide on my new pistol because it had some scuff marks and scratches on it although I believe GSI must re-blacken the slide after they mill the ejection port.

jvice

PS one of the reasons that I bought the M40 was the 3rd level safety which allows the weapon to be completely locked out from firing or disassembly. A nice feature if you have kids in the house

I experienced almost the same feeding problem with the Walther P99. I got rid of it quickly. The bottom line: Glocks are the only one. The others like Walther and Steyr can try to imitate, but they can't come close with the reliability. I would wait until P99, SW99 and M40 prove themselves in reliability and are chosen by major law enforcement agencies before given them another try, which is probably...NEVER. Glock rules.

All the law-abiding citizen naturally deserve the right to have a weapon that shoots THE BEST. Steyr M40 shot the best FOR ME. I'd like to emphasize that because my fascination with the pistol is caused by, nevertheless, a very personal experience!

I had gone through the same situation when I first started to visit TFL: a lot of people become emotionally biased based on what other folks describe in their post. By all means, guys, don't let ANYTHING in my post influence your decision of buying the Steyr M-series. I got it solely based on other people posts, but I hugely lucked out. It could have very well turned out to be THE WORST pistol for me.

Unfortunately, I don't know any place in town where I live that allows to rent a Steyr for a test-drive. However, if such opportunity exists at your location, shoot the pistol first. It's a must.

Regarding the craftsmanship of Steyr M40: it's a tricky issue. Generally, the higher degree of effort and meticulousness is involved in the production of a weapon, the more reliable it is. It can't, however, always be said about the finish. So far, I've seen only one pistol that has a flawless finish on all its parts -- SIG Sauer P-series. You practically don't see the traces of machining. Steyr has all of them. Just look at the inside surface of the top of its slide -- mine has multiple rings all over.

The reliability, as I see it, comes as a result of a very good combination of finishing of the parts and, most importantly, the engineering design of a weapon. The Steyr may have less refined craftsmanship put in it, but it's engineering design seems to be excellent. As a result, the overall performance should be balanced out by these two factors and be very good.

What do you all think?

Emin

This helps makes me more comfortable in my decision to buy a sw99 today. I was surprised to find the M40 didn't fit my hand. The finger bump on the grip towards the top front ran smack dab in the middle of my finger pad. To say the least I was depressed.

sound a little like poor quality control. i would think they should recall the pistols make all the fixes, like glock did with the updates on the old G17, they worked fine but gave them the update anyway, well, i have been lucky all the pistols i have worked great right out of the box and never had to send one back, ( yes i am knocking on wood now) but just for one problem i would send any good gun in for eval and see what returns, i am and you too should be leary of any new gun, due to the fact this is a fine tuned instrument and takes quite a while to see and find all the glitches on mass produced item, i am in the watch and wait mode on all these new guns and now i see to many problems for most of them, just my opinion. hope it turns out well for you.
I to am glad i grabed my SW99 when i did.

Someday, the steyr and s&w(walther)99 might prove to be very reliable pistols. Right now, from what I am reading, THEY ARE NOT! Does anyone know if Glock went through this?

Yeah, Glock has had upgrades, but they already work right out of the box. Seems like fewer and fewer pistols can say that.

Emin, how can you like this new gun (with its multitude of problems) better than your "beloved Sig"? I would bet your Sig has never given you any problems. Each to his own, but if it would of been me when I got back from the range I would of boxed it up, sent it back, and demanded my money back!

slymule,

I have only one thing to say -- find it and shoot it. If you and I have close shooting preferences, same size hands, and we both happen to appreciate similar performance factors from our weapons, you'll understand...

Again, I'll give it a chance to get COMPLETELY fixed. If GSI can't do it, it's a different story...

Great, guys!

I love stories about guns that are good, wonderful, cool, neat, great, oh, except that they dont fire. I was under the silly impression that guns were supposed to go bang and that everything else was less important. Now, reading what the experts say, it seems that a gun only needs to feel good and look pretty.

Are you listening, Sarah? You can ban real guns as long as you leave us with cast dummies that feel good!

Jim

You guys are getting ridiculous trashing all Guns that are polymer except for Glock. I have a Glock 32C now, I like it a lot- I don't think its all that, I find myself shooting the Steyr much more than the Glock-its just nicer (but I do the like the 32C, had a 21 before it). I'm sorry some of you have had problems with other guns like the P99 (sold mine awhile ago, but just ordered another one-because it was a very good gun).
I'm just one that likes a variety of guns, would rather have 5 different good handguns than 5 Glocks. Just my opinion.

Trashing all polymer guns that arent Glock? What the heck are you talking about? One post (thanks thequickad) does not make the thread...

Actually, I should have mentioned "overall"- thats what I meant, from other topics. The "Glock Rules" statement just ate at my brain for the particular moment when I posted. But now I'm fine :).

I hate to give you nay sayers some good news. But I've put 1400 rounds through my Steyr M40 so far. Within another few weeks it'll be up to 2000 easy. And now for the difficult part to read. My M40 is working perfectly. <G>

By the way, I do have a Glock 31 and will be testing the new Ciener .22 conversion kit soon. If I like it, I'll give the Glock 31 .22 to my daughter. I'm keeping the Steyr. :)

Back