Steel plate for target

Be careful with steel plates if they're closer than 50yds or so.
At all our competition matches the minimum distance for steel is 23 feet.None of the competitors are dead or wounded so 50 yards is extreme. Guess we must be using some real special kind of steel:rolleyes:

At all our competition matches the minimum distance for steel is 23 feet.None of the competitors are dead or wounded so 50 yards is extreme. Guess we must be using some real special kind of steel:rolleyes:

If the OP is using mild steel then I would keep them way back, cratered plates will return fire faster than you can think.

AR500 is a different story, which is probably what you were using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not go with anything less than 3/8" thick AR500. I have a three hole {for 1/2" diameter bolts} AR550 IDPA target {weighs 20 pounds}, that I hang {two rubber bungee cords hooked, one to each of the bolts} between two 2x4's on a steel stand that is angled forward by a 2x4 four under the rear legs of the stand; and anchored down so I don't have much lead splatter on my 2x4's.

Sounds like it should be ok. I have to put it on the rifle range because the pistol only range is only 25 yards. Normally I go out Friday mornings rarely has there been anybody else out . Shooting someone else's targets without permission is just not done. 50 yards with hard cast from handguns. Will get before and after pictures.

Quote:
I have a steel plate that is 17"x17"x1/2" it's a36

This reply,

Quote:
At 25 yds you might want to use a bigger plate ,such as 18x18x1/2

I'm confused, 1" larger is going to make that much difference?
:confused: I was scratching my head on that one too.

Back