Steel Frame, Concealed Carry 9mm's

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some S&W 3rd gens had steel frames and some had alloy. Could be carried concealed I'm sure.

You mentioned it already, but I had a Star BM-9 back when a batch was imported a number of years ago. I bought two, one of which was in excellent condition and was fun to shoot. The other was a bit rougher and had some malfunctions, but they were surplus pistols after all.

Metric said:
A Sig P230 or P232 is somewhere near the top of my current priority list.

I would like one as well, but when I see them they are more expensive than I want to pay.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some S&W 3rd gens had steel frames and some had alloy. Could be carried concealed I'm sure."

If the last digit of the 4-number model ends in a 5, 6, or 7, it's a steel frame.

The 6906 is a good example.

I think there’s only one S&W third-generation or original Performance Center pistol that would meet your requirements. The S&W 3958 was a single-stack, DAO 9mm pistol with a carbon steel frame, a stainless slide, and a 3.5” barrel. It was a catalogued item, and it appears in the SCSW. However, according to the folks on the S&W forum, no one has ever produced a photo of one, and it’s unclear how many, if any, were ever produced.

"The S&W 3958 was a single-stack, DAO 9mm pistol with a carbon steel frame, a stainless slide, and a 3.5” barrel."

That would have been the 3957, wouldn't it? I've never heard of a 3rd generation, 4-digit model ending in an 8, and according to all of the charts I've seen, that description fits the 3957 to a T.

The economy model 908 did end in an 8, but I believe it was a full size...

The CZ P01 with aluminum frame is an amazing pistol. Kahr K9 are a nice design but mine was not reliable out of the box. Polished the chamber, changed the guide rod and spring and it runs fine now. Disappointing for a relatively expensive gun. You may be able to find a commander 1911 in 9mm with a steel frame. The other compact all steel gun I would suggest is a Ruger SP01 revolver with a 3 inch barrel. Some can be had in 9mm using steel clips as speed loaders with 5 in, 5 out.

"The S&W 3958 was a single-stack, DAO 9mm pistol with a carbon steel frame, a stainless slide, and a 3.5” barrel."

That would have been the 3957, wouldn't it? I've never heard of a 3rd generation, 4-digit model ending in an 8, and according to all of the charts I've seen, that description fits the 3957 to a T.

The economy model 908 did end in an 8, but I believe it was a full size...

You would think so, but there's no 3957 in the SCSW. And, as a matter of fact, there's no longer a 3958 in the SCSW4. No idea why it appeared in the SCSW3, but, as great as they are, there's unfortunately no shortage of typos and other mistakes in the various SCSWs. And maybe my recollection of the 3958 having been catalogued is just a false memory based on my having seen it in the SCSW.

So I guess there's actually no S&W semi-auto that meets all of the OP's criteria.

For me corrosion resistance is critical as I live in South Florida and it gets really hot and humid down here. Only concealed carry is allowed here (with the exception of hunting and fishing). I also live very close to the coast so the humid marine air can cause corrosion very easily.

I had the Kahr MK9 which I pocket carried for a little while. It is way too heavy at 22 oz. (unloaded) to carry comfortably and the frame developed pit rusting despite the fact that it was "stainless steel". I ended up getting a PM9 which has a polymer frame and stainless slide instead. This shaves half a pound of unloaded weight and there are no issues with frame corrosion. I carried the PM9 for a while until I discovered the internals were rusting. The internals are NOT corrosion resistant despite having a stainless slide and polymer frame. To be fair, this occurred when I was carrying after hurricane Irma and was sweating like a pig while clearing trees. I understand that you are supposed to clean and take care of your guns, but life happens. I expect my guns to take care of me. You will never have that kind of issue with Glocks which have been extensively tested in salt water. I switched to a Glock 43 after that and have never carried the Kahr after that. I switched to a Springfield Armory Hellcat due to much higher mag capacity and that has also held up to daily carry (and sweat).

The H&K P7M8 will also rust easily unless it is refinished. I started getting minor rust on mine just sitting in the safe. I wrap mine in an oiled gun cloth now. I can't imagine it doing well being regularly carried against the body in this humidity. It only holds 8+1 so that is doesn't make much sense to me either.

Heavy steel pistols help tame recoil and crisp single action triggers feel better than striker fired pistols, but practicality matters. I am limited to concealed carry so the size and weight matters. My heavy full sized guns only come out to play at the range or double duty as home defense guns.

Today's concealed carry is my FM M95-Classic in an Alien Gear IWB Cloak holster using the 1911 shell.

attachment.php

The grips are my last set of Craig Spegel Tulipwood.

Attachments

• M95-Classic.jpg
    M95-Classic.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 869
iu

I'd take a look at the STI LS9. It is small, all steel, very slim and in 9mm.

I like the all-steel autoloaders and revolvers, but then again I started target shooting back in 1978, so it came with my territory. In just cc size and weight, however, the ones that have fit my carry needs best have been the Bulgie Mak 9x18mm, the Beretta Cheetah 85FS and the S&W Chiefs Special 60-7 in stainless.

BHP

The High Power carries well for me. What is comfortable and concealable for one individual of course may not be for another. I'm big enough that the service pistols, including the 1911, carry well in an IWB holster, though I normally do not do so in hot weather, as blue steel and sweat don't do well and lead to a lot of wipedowns. The hammer spur on my HP eats a hole in my shirts, a rowel hammer would do better, but I haven't changed it, likely won't.

The K9 series have quality control issues. Mine would not function for an entire magazine until I replaced the guide rod with solid steel, a new spring and polished the chamber. It's reliable now and has not malfunctioned in thousands of rounds. Trigger is good, accuracy is good for such a small gun. I don't know I'd want a PM9 because the K9 is awfully small for my hand. It's striker fired and does not have a hammer and has a pretty rounded profile. Mine has night sights and was well regulated from the factory and shoots to point of aim. I changed the followers out to aluminum after one of the plastic ones cracked in half in the first few magazine loads. My CZ P01 has never jammed and with the aluminum frame is fairly light and not that much bigger than the K9. Both a great ccw gun with the CZ being one of the most popular. The K9 is a little thinner and there is no magazine disconnect like the competing smith and wesson shield. Neither does the CZ.

Walther Q4 Steel Frame. Carry mine OWB/IWB depending on the season.

Regards ------

cbc9f6a1dfd58dc8aa677cc96166a0e3.jpg

Sent from my Cray X1 using Tapatalk

Call me 'old school', but my 90% of the time EDC is a Sig P229, granted its 40SW, but the platform is perfect for me.

I have two...steel framed 9mm's...a Colt Series 70 gov't model and a Browning Hi Power Practical (the one with the hard chromed frame). While both are good, reliable accurate pistols, by today's offerings, both are a bit too heavy for daily carry. I've carried both from time to time, but always in an OWB holster.

Both are a joy to shoot with the light recoil of a 9mm round...but then that's the same reason so many have opted for a 9mm as a carry piece. Even with alloy, or Heaven forbid...plastic...the slightly greater recoil of an alloy or plastic framed gun is not objectionable.

That's their strong point...while none, IMHO can compete with a well tuned 1911 or BHP in accuracy...for defensive carry the lighter weight model has more appeal.

Best regards, and of course, YMMv, Rod

Back