Stay out of it if it's not your fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
student2-
Yes I did get torqued reading the original post. "fellow Kali ... student was at a rave ... when a fight broke out. He watched as someone tried to break up the fight - and get fatally stabbed for the effort. The stabbing was even coordinated, with someone holding the victim." If I read this correctly he watched someone get killed and did nothing.

The fatal attack was fast. There was no time for my friend to get involved. Stab-slash-done. Yes he tried to help the bleeding-and-in-shock victim.

this means to me they fight you or your friends then its worth dying for but anyone else to Heck with them.

One must evaluate whether it is worth dying for a stranger. Sometimes yes...often no.

No, if I saw a fist fight between people that I don't know, I would not run in between them like some maniac.

Well then you agree with my original point! THAT is what I was getting at: when two strangers engage in mutual combat, getting involved (i.e.: breaking it up) can get you killed, and that's just not worth it in this case.

But I would hope that if I saw some one being stabbed to death I would have the gutts to hold back the arm of the attacker.

Would you really? Would you know what to do? Can you hold back that arm without getting stabbed yourself? Could you have moved into position fast enough in this case? Have you studied knife fighting, particularly empty-hand (you) vs. knife (him)? In this case, the whole thing was over in at most five seconds.

What kind of people have we become?

That's what worries me and why I posted this thread: (very broadly speaking) we've become a bunch of armchair warriors, confidently declaring personal nobility, skill and indestructability when faced with poorly-described and poorly-understood situations, quick to declare righteous indignation at anyone who would not immediately be involved, save the innocent and vanquish the dragon.

I started this thread (apparently with inadequate wording) to point out that getting involved in someone else's fight can get you killed really quick for no good reason. Somebody had to explain to this kid's mother that he died trying to break up a fight between a couple unknown jerks - not exactly the noble end a mother would hope for (saving an innocent damsel in distress, maybe, but certainly not standing between two goblins mutually bent on harm).

Subsequent to having the victim bleed to death in his arms, my friend desired training in knife disarms. He watched how blindlingly fast a lethal blow was delivered - there was no time for a third party involvement, nor time to run away. Ultimately, only the victim had any opportunity to stop the assailant...and lacked the training necessary.

Student2, I highly recommend you take at least an introductory knife course. It's hard to comprehend how fast a knife can appear and the fight be terminally over, and how little time you have to act inbetween those points.

By passivity you are agreeing with the attacker,

NO I AM NOT. (For some people your point may be true.) I am instead agreeing that my relationship with my loved ones is more important than my relationship with a stranger who made a bad choice.

Your action may bring others into action or jar the focus of the attacker into realinzing what he is doing and where.

A grave falacy. When the weapons are out and in use, the time for reflective contemplation is past.

Now if you do not agree with me. you are welcome to watch stabbings, rapes, beating, etc. And you probably should not vote in any election or complain about the society where no one will help anyone, including you.

WTF?

Carl, I think we're in agreement, here.

People fighting it out: let 'em "have at it." In fact, if I see a fight, I won't even call police, unless (perhaps) someone is getting fed bricks. OTOH, if I see an obvious victim, or witness an obvious mugging, I will intervene, unless I am with others I am charged with protecting.

On the subject of knife usage: it is good to understand how to use a knife lethally, so one knows where one is vulnerable. The whole point of employing a blade is as a force multiplier that should not be obvious until the threat is no longer threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back