Stay at home mom crisis plan

Pax said:
Yeah, those things never happen in broad daylight in good neighborhoods....

Or do they? http://www.corneredcat.com/home-invasion-2/

pax
This is the exactly what popped in my mind when I first read and posted to this thread the other day.
Kathy, I'm glad you posted the link to that piece you wrote on just the other day. When I saw that, it confirmed even more as to why I carry on body, at home, even with an alarm.
That shows, once again, when seconds count, help is minutes away. ( problem is, how many minutes and what will you, and possibly your family, have to endure before help arrives.
My son was 8yrs old, he is almost 14 now, he saw me being attacked and beaten (by someone we knew), he slipped off, hid under my desk and called 911. (This was before I started carrying, obviously). The physical injuries were much easier to heal than the psychological aspect of feeling so helpless and unable to protect yourself and your child. The impact it had on him as well. To this day, he is very protective of me, doesn't want me anywhere alone, or out after dark, regardless of the fact I am armed.

Everyone talks about home evasions, which is good. Have you gun on you not near you.

But what if you aren't home? Just read recently where a lady was in Walmart, (OK somewhere) and some guy reached into her shopping cart and removed a toddler.

He held a knife to the toddlers' throat threatening to kill it. After a while a cop showed up and shot the bandit saving the child.

Like way too many people, if the mother had had a gun she probably would have left it in her car.

http://www.news9.com/story/22714568/mwc-police-chief-narrates-hostage-video-at-walmart-store

As I said, a gun is useless unless it's available.

Add that to Pax's link, plus the thousands more like it in the news.

Some people say I'm paranoid, maybe so, guess I'm paranoid when I use my seat belts too. Never needed them but I still wear them.............yup I guess I'm paranoid.

The widespread viewing of the video of the Millburn, NJ home invasion and brutal beating in front of the young child, may have been a wake up call for many....and a starkly contrasting watershed event to counter the anti-gun rhetoric that were invigorated by the Aurora and Newtown tragedies.

At the very least, . . .

1. Harden all entrance doors with deadbolt plus knob lock. Seldom used doors can also benefit from one of those large surface deadbolts.

2. Teach everyone to keep the doors locked when you are gone or all inside. We even lock up when we are going mowing, . . . gardening, . . . to the shed, . . . etc. as a walk in can do just that if the door is unlocked.

3. Get an alarm system. The sign in the yard us usually the most important part of the system, . . . it will deter some, . . . send others to another house.

4. Teach everyone to NEVER answer the door without mom or dad present, . . . period, . . . NO exceptions.

Not everyone can do the dog thing (allergies, etc.), . . . not everyone can afford a hardened safe room, . . . but these you can do, . . . and they go a long way to deter or prevent many of the opportunistic robberies.

May God bless,
Dwight

Verbal Clint
Stay at home mom crisis plan
<SNIP>My wife and I have 3 kids (Daughters - 7 and newborn, son - 2) and are moving the family to a nice suburb outside of Houston<SNIP>. My wife will be staying home with the kids during the day while I work<SNIP>. We will have an alarm<SNIP>...<SNIP>

Like some others have pointed out; a gun is of no use if you can't get to it. Also, having little ones around, getting to a secured gun is harder. Have your wife wear the gun while at home. I've said this so many times that I'm sick of hearing myself but I carry a mouse gun at home (P32) to let me get to a bigger gun elsewhere in my home. My wife does the same. I carry mine pretty much during all waking hours. It is so unobtrusive that I do not know it is there 90%+ of the time. Also, 99%+ of the time, no one else knows you are carrying either.

As for having an alarm system and not having it armed, I ask - WHY? That's the purpose of an alarm system, even during the day while one is at home. If one is outside on their property, then refer back to my 1st paragraph.

Wearing a gun allows your wife to not worry about the kids getting into anything. It also allows her to get to her gun immediately. It's also pretty darn hard for a rugrat to take it from her w/o her knowledge.

BTW, I suggest redacting some of the details you've written in your post.

There have been two almost unbelievable videos circulating recently.:

Everyone who frequents the internets has seen the brutal, sadistic home invasion nanny cam vid from NJ. This is proof positive if you had any doubt before that your loaded gun should be on your PERSON. :mad: I don't know if the animalistic thug quietly slipped in through an open door, quietly picked a lock, or if he kicked the door in, but regardless, the mom was totally unprepared. She should have been paying more attention (I bet she will NOW! :eek: ). A nice handgun loaded for THUG could have defused this situation, but not if it was in her bedroom.

The babbling psychopath in the Wal-Mart in OK who took a baby right from its mother's shopping cart is another horror altogether. Frankly, there is little you can do to combat something like this since you aren't supposed to have a gun in Wal-Mart and would get in very big trouble if caught. This is more a case of the system failing, as such a deranged individual probably already had an extensive rap sheet, and had no business being free, or probably alive. Speaking as a man, I would broken his neck right there in front of everyone (mercy would have been impossible), but the mother was not strong enough to attack him with much hope.

Good, bad and the very ugly...

I wince when I hear or read about the old "it won't happen in this area" bit.
In the late 2000s, my county's sheriffs office had one of the largest firefights in their history.
A 911 hang up call for service turned into a extended gun battle with the sworn deputies & felons firing approx 300 rounds! :eek:
This was in a quiet, residential neighborhood too. The sheriff's detectives & the FDLE(Florida Dept of Law Enforcement) later discovered the property was a "stash house". The house was filled with guns, stolen property, $$$, & illegal drugs.
Alarm systems & security plans help too.

CF

FairWarning,

Who says you aren't supposed to have a gun in WalMart & would get in trouble if caught? That's ... incorrect. Unless the individual store is posted (most aren't) and you live in one of the states where signage has the force of law (most don't), you're fine carrying there -- just as you are in any other grocery store or convenience market.

pax

Training

She needs to train with a firearm and without a firearm to defend herself. She also needs the mindset to do what she must. Hardening the target is also equally as important as it is difficult to harm a person you can't get to in the first place. There is no impenetrable barrier but making a person take time to reach your loved ones is important as the police will have time to arrive and the wife will have time to react.

In my home there are a minimum of three doors a person would have to penetrate in order to get to the bedroom. Each door is hardened just a tad. Our plan is to retreat to the bedroom if we sense trouble and call for help. We both keep a handgun on our person or within arms reach at all times. There is a shotgun in the bedroom. All of the exterior doors have deadbolts, knob locks, and braces like the one in the link http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/big+jammerr+door+brace+adjustable+heights.do?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_search&************=google_product&gclid=CNXJuvXMk7gCFcSj4AodPGcAyg .

Those take a good while to break in I can tell you from personal experience (there was an issue where I heard screaming and dog barking from inside the house when I came home. She usually leaves the brace up if she gets home from work first so I had to break in through one of my doors only to find the dog and the fiance screaming and freaking out over a large bug lol.)

Basically by the time he is in the home she and the dog can be behind two other doors with 911 dialed and shotgun trained on the last barrier. If he breaches that well its time for buckshot I suppose.

^^^

The time for buckshot in my house is when he breaches the First barrier. He wouldn't make it at his full body weight to the second. ;)

Back