Starting point for Elk

And then there's the variation of the weather up where the elk roam---

I'm from Texas, and our state pride is such that we assume people should be impressed even by our weather, which does indeed have a wide variety of conditions, ranging from 110+ in the summer to under 10 in the winter. So you run into people who say all the time, "One that about this Texas weather-- if you don't like it now, wait 5 minutes, and you'll get something completely different"

To which I respond,"Horse puckey. Go to the Continental Divide in the fall, and tell me about variation of weather."

We arrived at the campsite at about 7:00 in the evening on Oct 9th. It was about 50, and I was impressed at how chilly that was, having just driven up from the Dallas-Ft. Worh area. Our campsite was at about 8,000 ft. The next day, when we woke up, it was a lovely day that got up to 85 degrees. One hunter lost some meat trying to pack it out of a wilderness area by himself in plastic bags [sad]. By the end of our scout, we knew this was going to be cake. Mountain hunting, surely, is a snap!

The next morning, crisp but comfy. Dusted with snow, then 65 degrees. Then 4-6" of hail came down and nearly destroyed the tent!!!

Then hard rain for 2 hours. Then no clouds. The ground begins to freeze as the temperature plunges.

The next morning, it was 08 degrees in Pagosa Springs, which was way lower elevation than us. One foot of snow, and 2" of ice crystals on the inside of the tent ceiling, where our breath had condensed.

This went on for the duration, and when I was taking down the tent at the end of the hunt in mid to late October, I took off my shirt to pick up some rays. It was in the high 70's!

When those fronts spill over the mountain passes, the temperature will drop 30 degrees in 10 minutes, and a pleasant day is fast become your worst nightmare.

Starting point for Elk Hunting? Satisfy yourself with the rifle, and then concern yourself with the finer points of keeping warm and dry!

I still wish I was going!

I have never hunted elk in Colorado, but I have killed 28 of the critters in Wyoming. I killed three of them with my bow and they went less than 75 yards so I guess about any rifle will do if you get under 20 yards and shoot them through both lungs.

In recent years I have been using a .30-338 just because I have an exceptionally accurate rifle and the recoil doesn't bother me. I have shot two elk with the .30-338 with 180 grain bullets.

The other 23 elk were killed with Winchester, Remington, Steyr, Kliengunther, Colt, Dakota, or Mannlicher Schoenaur rifles chambered in .30-06 loaded with 180 grain bullets. The six point bull I shot with my old Remington 721 topped with a Weaver K-4 scope died just as quickly as the one I killed with my Custom Sako .30-.338 fitted with a 2.2-9 Swarovski. My twin brother has killed as many elk as I have and he has never crippled one. He uses a .270 with 130 grain Sierra bullets. My older brother has killed more elk than I and he uses a .338 Win Mag and wouldn't even think of hunting elk with a .270. My 2 cents worth.

I don't think a heavy rifle is necessary for elk. Much larger animals are regularly taken with lighter rifles.

I shoot some pretty heavy stuff myself, but I invest the time and money into reloading to get good with it.

I think for most people, in most situations, a 30.06 is the best choice. I'd rather hunt with someone who is good with a 30.06 than flinches with a .338, I'll spend less time tracking wounded game and more time hunting. Most people would be better served by learning some basic fieldcraft to allow them to get close than by overgunning themselves to make up for the lack.
Ideally, everyone would have the perfect rifle for every occasion and have the field skills of an Apache. Unfortunately, in the real world people don't have the time or money.
So get yourself a 30.06 and spend the range time to learn to place a bullet in the x ring offhand. Then get a camera and spend your weekends next summer in learning to stalk elk. You'll be better served in the long run.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

A little off topic but somewhat germane. Last weekend two groups of hunters were attacked by Grizzly bears in my county. First bear was dispatched cleanly at close range by a levelheaded guide who “borrowed” the client’s 30-06. The second bear was wounded by two clients shooting “big dawg magnums” and now some poor Federal Fish and Wildlife agent gets to pursue a gut shot Yogi around in the timber. Doesn’t matter if the game is dangerous, trophy or just table meat. Use a rifle you can handle well that is big enough to get the job done. Learn to shoot and keep your head on straight when the time comes to squeeze the trigger.

Ron, Excellent illustration!

I have a friend who shoots a .30/378 - I think you said you had one as well. Its an excellent long range cartridge, but my friends problem is that he doesn't reload and every time he pulls the trigger its about $3.00.
He isn't rich and has no intention of learning to reload since its "dangerous" he says.
Well, since he rarely shoots this rifle, he of course shoots it badly. We went out to the range earlier this summer and he fired a total of 6 shots. 4 of them at 100 yards "to check the zero", a miserable group measuring about 4 inches. Another two shoots at a 300 yard target, one which hit about six inches below the bull and the other missed the paper completely.
The irony is that he has an inexpensive Ruger in 30.06 that he shoots very well. Out to about 400 yards he'll put it in the black every time.
He'll probably shoot the Weatherby just enough to develop a flinch and ruin him for any rifle he shoots.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Another post on the boots, plus ONE MORE THING!!! I learned about this one last year. Not only does it get cold here in CO, buy you're walkin' your butt off. I have walked so muck in such cold weather here hunting, that the sweat coming off my feet in my waterproof boots was freezing! I'm not kidding! How do you keep this from happening? SOCK LINERS!!! Go to an outdoors store and find a good set of sock liners, and wear them under your socks. They keep the sweat away from your feet, and also keep you from getting blisters. One of the best "under $50 investments" I've ever made!

Oh, yeah on the temp...last year, our heater went out clogged carb) in the middle of a -10 night...spent all of opening day fixing it.

On another note, I've hunted in November here in short sleeved shirts.

ONE MORE THING...bring lots of water...LOTS.

Back