start with what?

Breakthrough,
Welcome to the forum.
Questions like yours usually result in much conversation about guns and less so about learning how to use them.
The choices of what gun to buy will greatly change with your shooting skill level.
As you say, the safety course you took didn't offer much.
You might back off in buying anything just yet and spend some time and money on an actual training session.
A two or three day class with a genuine instructor will be very beneficial both with increasing your shooting skills and being able to shoot a wider variety of guns well.
What you decide to buy right now might very well prove to be just something to trade in later, after learning more.
For example, like what lee n field said about avoiding small powerful handguns.
Good advice right now, but maybe not a consideration after learning how to shoot them.
Would you buy a car without knowing how to drive? :):eek:

Last edited:
At one time, the general advice was to start with a .22 revolver. The less expensive ammo would allow more practice and a .22 is not a bad home defense caliber, though not the best.

Today, everyone seems to want to start with at least a 20 round 9mm or a .500 S&W to impress the other guys with the "I got a bigger..." or "I got more bullets..."

The old time advice is still good. Learn with a .22, then go on to a .38/.357 or 9mm autoloader.

Jim

A medium-frame 4" 357 magnum revolver.

That was my first centerfire handgun, about 30 years ago. Its identical replacement still sleeps in my nightstand.

I have taught a lot of people to shoot, and it is my firm belief that a revolver is the best choice for beginners.

GP-100

I second Doc Holliday's recommendation of the Ruger GP-100, in .357 Mag.

Rugers have a reputation for being moderately priced, very shootable, easily maintained, and rugged out of all proportion to their size. You can spend twice as much as the cost of a Ruger on some other revolver, but it won't be twice as good. At first, the trigger and internal workings on a new GP-100 may seem a bit "rough", but that just means it is new. Keep shooting, and you will notice that after a few hundred rounds, double-action trigger is smoother, and the single action trigger is more crisp. I suggest you refrain from having any trigger work or tuning done on a new GP-100 until you have run at least 500 rounds through it.

Once you have well and truly learned the basics of grip, stance, sight picture, trigger squeeze and breathing, you can decide whether you prefer to stay with the revolver or go with an automatic. MY preference is for automatics, but it doesn't mean that yours will be, and this fact keeps many revolver makers in business. There are many good men who can shoot rings around me with their revolvers, and they have my undiluted respect.

Lots of replies. I checked out gun store and looked at guns and supplies. The striker fired guns have no thumb safety. Also the store had 2 different glock 19s one in generation 3 and other 4. That confused me - which is better?
The finger grooves in them did not fit my fingers grooves exactly. Mine were slightly bigger.
The glock 22 model they had fit my hand - finger grooves perfectly.
Does that matter at all?
In revolvers they only had smith and wesson lightweights and bunch of tauruses and 2 ruger lightweights. lightweight is the term the man at counter used.
Also about cleaning supplies - the all in one package they had had no instructions at all on how to use them to clean the guns.
They basically had hoppes solvent and oil.
Also I looked at protection for ears and they had a variety of them. Didn't know how to select the best one either.
Thanks for the replies.
I like to add I saw ruger and smith and wesson in .22 caliber which one would you recommend?

The finger grooves in them did not fit my fingers grooves exactly. Mine were slightly bigger.

That is my issue, as well. I find Glocks uncomfortable to shoot because of it, but your experience with it may be different.
As far as cleaning, I second the suggestion of finding a YouTube video that walks you through the process. There are videos out there for just about every gun you can imagine - its a great source for info.
On the revolver front, I'd stay away from "light weights" for now. The lighter, and likely smaller frames are good for carry, but the felt recoil will be greater, which isn't great for a new shooter.

If you found the grip uncomfortable on the Glock 19 then I would suggest the Glock 17. The frame is the same size as the Glock 22, but instead of 40 S&W it fires less expensive and arguably similarly effective 9mm with the advantage of less recoil to boot.

If the lack of the thumb safety is a concern for you then I might suggest the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm in full size. The grip doesn't have finger grooves and it is offered with a thumb safety.

PLEASE NOTE:

Many law enforcement agencies switched to Glock in the 90's and many continue to use them for good reason.

1: They are easily maintained and require very little lubrication

2: They are easy to manipulate and use

3: Size/weight to capacity ratio is very good

4: Very reliable if maintained properly

Allow me to elaborate on a few of these points.

First on maintenance. Assuming you buy new your firearm (not matter which you choose) is going to come with clear instructions on how to properly maintain your firearm (cleaning, take-down instructions, lubrication, storage, etc).

Second is ease of manipulation and use. Because the Glock does not have a manual safety switch, you won't find yourself fumbling around in the dark or a high stress defensive situation to get the safety deactivated. Seconds count when your life and the lives of your loved ones are in jeopardy.

Third relates more to the practicality of concealed carry. The lighter and smaller the pistol makes it more likely a candidate for conceal carry. The Glock 19 is the best fit for all around duty, but if it's not comfortable in your hand it may not be the best way to go. On the other hand it's possible that your grip on the firearm being adjusted could rectify the problem. That is something I would discuss with your instructor, hands on if possible.

***NOTE: Careful about the guy behind the gun counter at your local gun shop, while he may have valuable insight to offer do not take it as gospel. I've found many of them don't know as much as they should or let on, even ex-law enforcement. The biggest mistake I've seen some make is thinking all law enforcement are experts on firearms.***

And finally for the last point is keeping the firearm clean and properly lubricated. Clean thoroughly as the user manual describes and lubricate in the quantity and locations the manual describes. Don't over lubricate.

EDIT: If you can find a Gen 2 Glock 19 in good shape they do not have the finger groves, but you also don't get the light rail. You can download the user manual.

I'd honestly start asking coworkers and friends if they shoot. Go with some of them a few times and buy your own ammo so you going along doesn't cost them anything. Shoot whatever they own in their calibers.

That should teach you basic firearm operation. Sure you could read books and watch YouTube videos ( which I recommend YouTube, big time). But nothing will beat having a friend there with you.

My recommendations for a semi auto are Glock 19 or S&W M&P 9mm, Ruger SR9, CZ75, Sig Sauer P226, Springfield XDM 9mm. Check all those out and see what "feels right" in your hands. Close you eyes and Bring it up in front of your face and look down the sights as if you were about to shoot it. See which gun naturally aligns the sights for you the best.

I am much less literate in revolvers but I'd buy something in .357 magnum as it allows you to shoot .38 special in it too with literally no changes. Ruger GP100 or S&W would be where I'd start. S&W revolvers can be pricey.

You could get most of those semi automatics AND a Ruger GP100 for close to your budget.

As far as ammo and cleaning supplies, Academy sports and outdoors, bass pro shops, cabelas, gander mountain, dicks sporting goods, or any local gun store would have all you will need. Nearly all of those will be more expensive than online retailers.

Able ammo, Natchez shooting supply, Midwest shooting supply, palmetto state armory, freedom munitions, midway USA, brownells, cheaper than dirt...I could go on. These are all online retailers and will likely have better deals than in any large retailer.

And Walmart, Walmart will likely have what you need as well as long as you stick to 9mm and .357 MAG / .38 SPL.

You will know a lot more about what you want if you learn more about handguns. A more involved course, private instruction, or mentoring by a friend or relative are all reasonable ways to gain knowledge. The more different handguns that you handle and fire, the more sure you will be about your purchase decision.

Personally, I think a decent 9 mm is a good starting place. It provides a usable self defense round that is also affordable (usually the cheapest center fire cartridge on the shelf) and has low recoil so learning is easier.

Regarding cleaning: Don't let the learning end when you leave the range. If you are mentored by a friend or relative, go to their place afterward and have them show you. (You owe them a beer, anyway.) If you get private instruction, tell the instructor that cleaning is part of what you need to learn; they might consider that an enlightened question. If you take a class, the instructor might welcome help in cleaning up afterwards. And rest assured that any handgun that you purchase will come with a manual. Read and understand it, perhaps also looking at a YouTube video for your model, go slow and careful, and you will soon have the hang of it.

Complete disassembly for cleaning, as opposed to the partial disassembly that is often referred to as "field stripping," is not necessary for most handguns. Just don't worry about that part, even if some people preach it to you.

There are lots of helpful people here on TFL. Ask more specific questions as you learn and start to narrow your choices down, and lots of help will be available to you.

breakthrough, first of all, taking a beginner's class is a good way to start. There's no such thing as too much training when it comes to guns.

As for where to start . . . You said that your first gun will be for "home defense and practice shooting at range later may be for concealed carry." I'm going to join the chorus that suggests something in the midsized/compact range. For semiautos, that's going to be something in 9mm like a Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P9c. Prices on these will range from ~$400-600. Use the rest of your budget for training, ammo and accessories (like a safe if you have children). I'm not particularly knowledgeable about revolvers, so I'll stick with suggesting something in .357 Magnum so that you can shoot .38s for practice.

For years, I suggested a .22LR as a first handgun, simply because you could "buy the ammo cheap and stack it deep." 9mm runs about $0.25/round for practice/plinking ammo, and .22 was running more like $0.04/round. You could get a WHOLE LOT more trigger time with a .22 than you could with anything else. The past few years, though, .22 has been stupid hard to come by. I still think that every shooter should have a .22 in the safe, and if you can get a steady supply of .22, it's still a good starter for training purposes. Just not so much for home defense.

Everyone has given you tons of good advice. If you go with a pistol stick to 9mm and look at glock and smith and wesson. Get something that feels good in your hands. Dont be afraid to shop around, rent them, etc. Try them on with holsters in the store too if they let you.

If you decide to go revolver, get a .357. That way you can fire .357 and .38 special ammo. I would look at 4-6 inch revolvers for home defense.

You will find that as you want guns for multiple uses (ie carry, home defense, range gun) that you will probably need multiple guns. But there are some that people do use for everything. I just got a glock 26 and plan to use it for home defense and concealed carry. Some use the glock 19 for all of that. The SW Shield in another people use for everything. It just depends what you want, like, and fits you best. Good luck.

Where to start ....go to a range that rents guns.../ shoot a variety of guns in .22 and 9mm....and keep notes on models, etc...what you like and don't like. What gun to buy right now ...is too hard to pin down / and unless you have a lot of experience, you can't tell by just holding them at a counter - you need to shoot them.

In terms of maintenance...don't get too worked up about it now / every gun you buy down the road will have a manual / and google is your friend - google how to take it apart and maintain it. Every mfg's guns are a little different...

Caliber ...in semi auto 9mm is cheapest to shoot
Capacity ...overrated and not a primary issue in my view
Revolver vs Semi-auto ..depends on what you like
Sig, H&K, S&W, Glock, Beretta, FN, Kahr, Taurus, Springfiled, Kimber, etc.......there is too much out there...depends on what fits your hands -not mine.
and on an on....

I like to add I saw ruger and smith and wesson in .22 caliber which one would you recommend?

Neither! I'm old, old, school. (80). I wouldn't waste time and money on a .22. I also would not recommend a Glock to anyone, let alone a beginner. I would recommend a Compact size semi-auto, 9mm with a manual safety. My PX4 Compact serves me for carry, home defense, and fun at the range. That doesn't mean, buy a Beretta. Buy what you like, but I recommend a semi-auto in that size, caliber, and safety features.

Regarding revolvers, I have found SW's to be smoother, and more expense, than Rugers. Someone recommended a 3 to 4 inch barrel. I agree, but prefer a 3". As far as capacity is concerned, I've always used speed loaders when carrying a revolver. The best in my opinion is a Colt. I've owned several, and the hammer, and trigger action is better than an orgasm! :eek:

When I was young and frisky I liked large caliber revolvers. 44 Magnums were a hoot. I liked shooting anything that had enough recoil to elevate the barrel over my head. It was fun, but don't make that mistake. Guns like that are only good for hunting, and some outdoor ranges. Good Luck!!!

Oh! And join a gun club. All private gun clubs have experienced people that are more than willing to coach you, while you're learning.

my opinion for a starter is a larger(so long as it feels okay in hand and your finger can reach the trigger with ease) duty sized 9mm WITH a safety. duty is another word meaning, full-size. Home defense you say? also being your first, your going to the go shoot the range a lot too? so stay with 9mm. now there are not a lot of duty sized guns that are striker and a safety, they exist, but I wouldn't bother, but that's ME. There are plenty of larger 9mm sa/da that do have a safety, and sa/da is better anyhow, don't let the Glockers get you all single minded. I will give several suggestions for a duty sized or even compact sized pistols that I think are easier for most anyone to shoot. I will NEVER recommend a .22 for a first pistol, they don't teach you anything and they are barely reliable( my stepdad has the prettiest Ruger 22/45 lite and several other .22's, all less than 95% reliable, I shoot them extensively, especially the 10/22's and yet to find one that I find is reliable enough to protect my family's lives). I fancy myself a pretty good shot, and I have never/will never own a .22, so I don't see the training ting, practicing with 9mm I easy if your over 13 years old, IM MY OPINION. I LOVE revolvers, easiest thing for a new shooter, not sure why, but it is in my wife's and my mother's experience......on the same note, I don't feel a "home-defense" pistol should be limited by capacity, since around here anyway, it is not uncommon for several people to break into homes together, I know even though I feel I am decent with pistol, 5-6 shots is pushing it big time if there's two-three-more attackers breaking into my home(just last week a lady nearby had 5 at one time with guns.) and I don't want a shootout with limited capacity(combat super-tactical reloads?....okay fine, but you said a "new" shooter and "first" handgun). And the main selling point, CHEAP ammo, really cheap. 9mm is practically free at the moment. Also, don't go blowing your wad on a pricey expensive pistol, after a few eeks of really shooting, your going to see things that you didn't before and will make better decisions based on your needs the second or third time around. and by the way, everyone here will have a different reason you should get this, or that, of the one over here....because we all shoot and have found what WE like and what fits OUR needs. example, I think a new shooter should have a safety, that's MY opinion, others will debate this back and forth for days on end, but that's what I think, so that's the opinion you are getting. I don't care about you getting a striker or a sa/da really, but sa/da are more common to have safety's, but I would also recommend any of these styles in a striker form as well if avail with a safety. Lastly, compact guns are not very much different that full-size really, NO sub-compacts for you, right now, no matter what....

First Choice. Beretta M9 "Commercial". this isn't a budget gun, but affordable and shoots slicker than a greasy string out of a cat's a$$!!! Reliable and strong, heavy to soak up the recoil, heavy first-shot if in "double-action" and light and wonderful on subsequent shots.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/23504

Second- Taurus 92b. This plays off the first, as it is a Berretta "clone", but has some features that make preferable in my opinion. You will hear many say "NO FREAIN' WAY I"M BUYING NO TAURUS", believe me when I say, this is not a Taurus that has ever been plagued by QC issues or shoddy workmanship, hey are every bit as good as Beretta and maybe better, made on the SAME equipment that Berretta made their pistols on as well. These pistols have stellar rep's for quality, accuracy and fit. the active frame safety make this already great design a little better, plus the addition of adjustable sights on the PT99 version and this can be carried "cocked/locked" with a positive safety and with looks that won't et you thrown outta the range. poke around and see reviews on the web yourself, tough to beat his pistol, that comes in under 400$ and shoots like $600.....(and note this gun is for right-handed folks, not saying t can't be used for lefty's, just not easily)
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13585
review-READ IT!!! explains the differences well : http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2012/10/taurus-pt92-9mm/#safety-and-hammer_phatchfinal
want it a little prettier? tonnes of options--- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...p?keywords=Taurus+92&x=0&y=0&typeid=1&sort=3a

Third- the CZ 75 is actually my "first" choice. This is a duty-size sa/da that is in a lot of folks opinion, the perfect battle gun. combines the high capacity, lower axis and a wonderful trigger. The Cz "compact's" are just as easy, if not easier to shoot than the full-size. I don't list this as "first" for everyone because some folks have issues with reaching the trigger comfortably when in "single-action"(first shot only and not required in SA at all). IN MY OPINION and my experience, this is the most reliable firearm ever built. and although not "cheap", it 's not over the top and your going to likely want one someday. The best thing is, even the "clones" offer al the benefits of these pistols with just some fit/finish inequalities. I have a Canik clone with nearly 7-8000 rounds WITHOUT EVER HAVING A SINGLE MAFUNCTION.....EVER!!! I would go with a Canik or a Tristar to start, since they are incredibl firearms and give you the CZ 75(the ultimate "battle" pistol) for up to half the cost giving up nothing but the better finish. If you find a bad review on this pistol it is like because the poster had no clue what he was talking about. And note, that there a about a billion variations of this pistol, all amazing. I prefer a "manual" safety" over decocker only(cz-75 BD), but go grab any at the store and you'll see why it's one of the most beloved. CZ-75 "B" is my fav, with a frame mounted safety, and prefer it in the compact version, for everyone. Every thing a said goes for the 75, 75b and compact, CZ p01 and all other similar. I don't own a P-07, but from what I understand, those are even better. just check out CZ period, if it fits you, you'll have a mighty fine weapon in anyone's eyes.
original- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/13655
compact(-2 capacity but shoots just as nice, nicer to me)- https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/13656
the "clones"(these ones very rarely have a complaint(canik and tristar are the same, find any of the metal ones and you essentially have a CZ but at less the cost, I use the TriStar T-100 compact, would recommend to any new shooter that doesn't have baby hands)) - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...552795/CANIK+S-120+CZ-75+Clone+9MM+BLACK+17+1

Fourth?- M&P9. So, you went and shot a Glock or similar, and you liked it(not sure why, but everyone is entitled), but you want a manual safety. although I said your options are limited, they're not impossible. The Smith & Wesson M&P 9 is a fine, reliable, battle-pistol that has a reputation paralleled by Glock and the like. Some fell that trigger upgrade kit is required to put this in the same tier, but it' s a quality duty gun. The safety is easy to reach, small and doesn't appear to be a total after-thought. This likely the most affordable full-size "striker" on the market that has the option for a safety. As good as any other polymer, high use duty pistol. focuses on capacity, acquisition, reliable under extreme circumstances rather than refined triggers and match accurate chambers/barrels. If you want a safety, look close at what you buy, since they are usually sold in the "passive" safety config, but available in both.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57858/S&W+M&P9+17+1+9mm+4.25"
M&P 9c(compact, smaller, but not unweildly or difficult size to manage, but not as easy as a full-size like a cz vs cz-cmpact, these ARE significantly smaller but available w/ or w/o safety as well. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/57866/S&W+M&P9c+12+1+9mm+3.5"

the list of firearms that are affordable, reliable, and shoot well are endless. it just depends what YOU like at the range, the guns individual fit, recoil impulse, location of controls, trigger pull/feel/distance, backstrap comfort and/or interchangeability, sights and much much more. again, the use a manual safety for a new shooter is a preference that is MINE and you may look at it from a different viewpoint, and that is just fine. It' s ahotly debated subject, and I am not in it to debate, just that I,ME and some others like it this way. I focus on larger guns for a couple reasons, one being your new and the weight, grip/surface area and sigh radius are things that makes pistols easier to shoot. I LOVE revolvers, they are so accurate, simple and beautiful pieces and will rarely let a shooter down, but I didn't recommend these simply because the needs or an HD pistol, in my opinion, need to acclimate from "normal" burglary situations to some pretty extreme circumstances, the beauty of an HD gun is you can really go as big as want with very little consequence, unlike a carry pistol. Striker pistol are great BTW, my every-day-carry is striker, but they don't have safeties, which is an issue to ME for EDC and children and my own safety between my ears telling me that it's a bad idea. Others feel that it' an unnecessary extra step to protecting your life, and if your follow the proper rules and training, it shant make a difference, and they are 100% correct, the choice is very personal to the individual. etc. I also am much more accurate with an SA/A pistol and the metal frames make them all that much easier. buy what fits in your hands, your budget, maybe your wife's hands and take the time to shoot, at least, the few different "platforms" of pistol....from sa/da, striker, revolver, and DAO. I think DAO(double-action only is the safest choice but also the most difficult choice especially for a new shooter. please note that I was a "new-shooter" just six or so short years ago, went through many pistols before settling on the sa/da platform for HD anda striker with mnual safety for "carry". My wife went through six pistols, all small and cute, from striker to DAO, before she put here first five shots from a snub-nose .38spl right in the bullseye right outta the box, and she refuses to even think about a striker again. it all personal, your going to just have to garb one, safety or not(maybe a passive safety like an XDS grip safety), and just get started. it'll be a year long journey, at least, to find that perfect piece. 9mm is a great cartridge, it is lightweight, light recoil, allows high capacity designs and is cheaper than any other centerfire ammo as ar as I know. A .22, I dunno, never had one and after playing with dozens and dozens of them, I likely never will, do NOT feel they have a place in training for a "real" gun, but have the possibility to make it worse, again, tjis is how widely our opinions on guns will vary, and choices are yours.....nothing wrong with consulting experienced folks for guidance to a new endeavor, but nothing anyone say will 100% mirror your experience or your needs.

good luck

Last edited:
What you decide to buy right now might very well prove to be just something to trade in later, after learning more.

More hard won wisdom: don't obsess over getting the "just right" first gun. Get a "good enough" gun, and work with it. It's OK if you decided down the line that you made a mistake. It's usually not hard to sell it off and get what you at that point think you really want.

The striker fired guns have no thumb safety.

Typically no, but there's lots of exceptions.

Also, "striker vs. hammer" is not anything to bother with. IMHO&YMMV

Also the store had 2 different glock 19s one in generation 3 and other 4. That confused me - which is better?

Whichever fits your hand better.

The glock 22 model they had fit my hand - finger grooves perfectly.
Does that matter at all?

You bet it does.

In revolvers they only had smith and wesson lightweights and bunch of tauruses and 2 ruger lightweights. lightweight is the term the man at counter used.

Do Not Start With a Snubby Revolver.

A snubby is something you might take up later. They have lots of virtues, but they're not a beginners gun.

Also about cleaning supplies - the all in one package they had had no instructions at all on how to use them to clean the guns.
They basically had hoppes solvent and oil.

The owner's manual of whatever you get should give you a good rundown on cleaning.

Also I looked at protection for ears and they had a variety of them. Didn't know how to select the best one either.
Thanks for the replies.

The hgiher the db rating, the better. And you might want to double up with both muffs and the little disposable foam earplugs.

Lots of different models in each. I'm familiar with the metal framed Ruger Mark II Target, which I like.

Thanks for all the replies. They are really useful. I will be going to range and shooting a bunch of guns. I have some other questions:
what is db rating? can you tell me some good hearing muffs?
what good striker guns come with safety besides mp 9 as someone here mentioned?
does someone know of a good all in one cleaning kit?
thank you

when you go shoot some guns and find what you are comfortable with (size especially), then we can have other suggestions. there are actually ALOT of strikers with manual safeties, but only a couple in the "DUTY" sized market, but lots of compact/subcompact strikers. if you feel you can accurately shoot and desire to have a compact pistol, then you'll possibilities widen, but I highly suggest trying them out. if you really want a striker and a safety, check out the Springfield XD series, although not a manual safety, it is a feature that is pretty idiot proof and it does make the gun "SAFE" as a manual safety, at least check it out. but don't glance over sa/da, most here find them generally a more pleasing platform, then you have tons of multitude of sizes/shapes with manual safeties,decockers etc. check out the Beretta PX4's for a really modern ergonomic sa/da with a safety as well as Sig Sauer, if the more dated cz, 1911, m9 look isn't for you.

Back