Starr revolvers?

Starr DA

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just saw it today!
I have a pietta starr double action that I have had for a long time. I used to be in a civil war cavalry reenactment group and bought the double action probably within a year of them first coming out (whenever that was). So I have shot a lot of blanks through it and generally beat the hell out of it at reenactments and I have also shot a lot of round balls through it here at my home range. I love it. That being said it does take some getting used to and it can be finicky if you are unfamiliar with it or too lazy to get to know it.
Accuracy is about on par with the other repro revolvers out there except it didn't shoot a foot high. Mine shoots about to point of aim in single action. In double action shooting fast from the back of a running horse I can usually hit 4 out of 5 shots on a human sized target starting at about 10 yards and ending up pretty much point blank.
The double action is long and heavy (nothing like a modern DA revolver from S&W or Taurus) but it does the job once you have shot it for a while and get used to it.
Single action can be tricky and on mine it helps to pull the trigger just a little as you are thumbing back the hammer. Seems to help get the cylinder moving. This could probably be corrected by someone familiar with working on the Starr actions, but after all this time it is second nature for me and I don't even notice doing it. Also when shooting in single action I just use the spur and don't even mess with the main cocking trigger.
It would also probably help to have all of the internal parts heat treated since they don't appear to be. But again ive had mine for at least 10 years and probably more and it still works fine.
Z.

starr

I have 2 of them. I don't like the double action. too many moving parts. keep trying to pull the hammer back, doesn't work!!.

Hello everyone, new to the forum. I recently picked up a Beautiful 1863 Starr single action revolver. Problem is it has a broken cylinder stop or what some folks call a cylinder hand. I was wondering if anyone on the forum may have an extra cylinder stop they would be willing to part with so I could put this baby back in action.
Thanks
Ralphie boy

Screenshot_20240403_204637_Chrome.jpg
Not sure if this is for an original or reproduction, but it's a start. It's from Dixie Gun Works in Union City, Tennessee.
I had successfully crafted one for my original 1863 Starr single action. The flat arm to the left rides on a little nob near the pivot point of the hammer. I hope this information helps.
In passing by this thread, I to have posted information here near 10 years ago.
Regards.

Last edited:
Just trying to get the word out to anybody that has a Starr or a few Starr revolvers that may have some extra parts in a drawer somewhere that could help me out with this part I’m missing. Hopefully a few guys will see the post and someone will contact me. Don’t know how else to put the word out on this forum.
Regards,
Ralph

Back