Star m43 9mm opinions. Reviews if you have one.

Ok so it's a model m243 not m43. It's the double stack version of the m43.

The 243 (the Firestar Plus) has an alloy frame, which makes it a more comfortable carry -- and 13 rounds! I've had several. I tire of them, and then get another. The trigger can be easily tuned, and mine were all good shooters.

The only part problems I've heard of for any of these Star guns is the extractor... and that was mostly the .40 version of the single-stack gun. There have been places on the 'net where you can find those. (I think there are some shops in Spain that make them, still.) If you need a firing pin, Bill DeShivs would be a quicker solution.

Last edited:
I have a BKM I couldn't pass up because I got a screaming deal on it. It came with another gun worth basically the whole asking price so it was essentially free. Haven't shot it much but it certainly works and appears to be very well made for an old gun. Sarco has Stars for pretty cheap. I believe they are worth far more than they sell for but magazines and parts are sparse. Let's hope we don't need those!

Reply to BSpillman, 9mm Star

I had a 9mm Star M43 that I let go in a trade. Discovered that was a BIG mistake. A friend in Tenn had the same model, also in the Starvel finish. For whatever reason, he decided he did not like it and gave it to me - no strings attached. That was about 5 years ago and I am still thanking him! As many on-line articles have noted, this is a 'heavy' handgun. But - man, does it shoot! I'm a 78 year old retired military and disabled Vet. I would love to have several more of the STAR handguns as I personally think they are some of the better shooters out there. As mentioned elsewhere, should you need a replacement part, one might have to search high and low since the company went out of business years ago. At present, my only complaint is that the M43's magazines do not "fall" out when empty. If you haven't taken out the bad guy by then, maybe it's time for you to go to Plan B. Last thoughts: I'm still loooking for a solution to the magazine problem. Should I find a workable answer, I will post it. Make sure you vote in any and all elections, especially those where the candidate(s) might have a vote for or against firearm ownership and the 2nd Amendment. There are too many idiots out there that want to do away with the 2nd and our right to own firearms. Any argument, write me mike-usaf@live.com.

As much as I would like to have several more STAR handguns, especially the 9mm M43, I would have to think long and hard about how much I would be willing to pay, especially for a company that has gone out of business. One of the biggest gun stores in the central Texas area will not even consider taking your Star in trade for anything in their store. Reason -since Star is out of business, how would this store get a replacement part should the need arise? More importantly, this store offers a "lifetime guarantee" on every firearm they sell.

I bought a variety of parts, like a firing pin, springs, magazine, and a few other things from the guy in Spain who bought Star's parts out when they closed. Haven't needed any, since I don't shoot it much, but I'm glad I have them.

I have a Star BS however, not an M43.

Back