Standard Carrying load in the field (military)

When I was with the Big Red One in VietNam we carried 20 magazines (20 rounds) 100 rounds for the M-60, 2 hand frags, smoke grenades, a claymore, plus all the food and water to last for 3 days. We usualy stayed out in the bush for 10 to12 days and were resupplied every third day with food and water and ammo.

Standard operating Procedure calls for a soldier to carry 210 basic load of 5.56 M16A2 amunition. 1 30 round magazine locked in the magazine well of the weapon and 6 30 round magazines carried in two pouches. Typically a soldier will carry more if the mission dictates. You are also loaded down with kevlar helmet, body armor at least 2 quarts of water, gas mask plus anything else your commander deems necessary to load you with. Not Fun,Not Fun.

Testing My Memory

Radiki,

This is a great question and took quite a bit of thought. As I try to remember back 40 years ago and from what I can recall DBski is correct. That early in the war though I carried an M-14 and all the usual compliments.

BTW, I have a video of the new M-60E4 that is capable of firing 15,000 rds before requiring a barrel change. During testing they clipped together eight and one half belts of ammo, that's 850 rds and fired them all non-stop with one pull of the trigger, that took 1:45 seconds! Very impressive. Talk about fire power.:eek:

Also, is it true that todays M-16's have a selector switch for burst instead of full auto because so much ammo was wasted in Vietnam?

Another little known fact that I posted in another thread. Did you know that Lady Bird Johnson, our First Lady during part of the war, owned a munitions factory and received one half penny for every bullet fired in Vietnam?

CobrayCommando sez:
How much did that load weigh?
As much as 90# or more and you should try jumping out of a airplane with that!

Damn thats heavy. The heaviest load today for the Marines is 130 pounds, thats for when they don't know when they are going to be resupplied. But they obviously don't carry that every day.

BTW the second time they tried that stunt with the M60 the barrel burst a few rounds short of their previous record.

Officially, a Marine rifleman carries 180 rounds and a SAW gunner carries a 200 round drum while his A-gunner has 400 rounds for the SAW plus a spare barrel and his own weapons and ammo. Realistically, everyone carries more ammo and the SAW gunner carries all of his own crap.

everything is METT-T
To the original poster, since you asked and probably do not know:
M= Mission, E= Enemy, T= Terrain & weather, T= Troops & fire sppt avail and -T= Time.
As Erick said, these ALL factor into your loadout. Besides, you may also be carrying unit gear, i.e.: litters, ladders, breaching equip., 60mm mortar rounds, and any other shoulder and back breaking gear in order to finish the job.

Back