Stags?

It holds up, the dye goes into the grain of the stag. Best to start out diluted and go darker, because once you get it darker, the only way to make it lighter is sanding again.

I use a water base leather dye from Tandy's leathers from my leather work.

Whatever you're doing it's working! Keep it up! Those couldn't look any more real if they were on the animal! ;)

Just for the record, the Sambar stag is not hunted for its antlers. They are shed annually and picked up by antler hunters. The deer are not harmed.

Now, the story of stag antler embargo? In India where the deer live, men would go out to pick up shed antlers. The area is also home of the Bengal tiger. Tigers learned tasty folks were after shed antlers, so they sort of hung around waiting for a meal to come by. And hunters started carrying rifles to take care of the tigers. Now the Bengal is on the protected list.

The embargo was to protect the tiger, not the deer.

Bob Wright

I've seen some very nice rams horn grips as well. You may want to check it out. I believe Peterson might work with that material.

Gang I sent a message to Patrick Grashorn and he replied telling him to send on over my grip frame. Seems real nice and I'm going for it! Thanks all!!

I have seen goat and sheep scales on knives. I have knives with goat. I can't accept that as a good firearm product if it's going to be regularly used. And I think that they're kind of ugly, my two cents.

Yeah and goats and sheep sure don't evoke the majesty of a forest Elk, either! But I kind of like the looks of the material itself.

sambar story

Hey, Bob Wright, thanks for the better scoop on Sambar antlers. I did not wish to imply that the Sambar was hunted for its antlers, only that it was hunted at one time, and not now. I was not aware of the exact particulars.

Thanks for the clarity

one of the nice things about stag is that it is a bit forgiving if you screw up the contours. A nice piece of mirror smooth wood will show every tiny bit of error to the form. The broken surface of stag will disguise it. I'd be willing to try stag or bone before I'd try carving a piece of wood. I've done it before and it's not easy to get them perfect.

Bamaranger said:

Hey, Bob Wright, thanks for the better scoop on Sambar antlers. I did not wish to imply that the Sambar was hunted for its antlers, only that it was hunted at one time, and not now. I was not aware of the exact particulars.

Thanks for the clarity

So far as I know, Sambar stags are still hunted, just not in India. As to farm raised Sambar, not sure what the practice is on those. Some countries, such as China, no hunting is allowed by the populance. They are still game of choice in Thailand the last I heard.

Bob Wright

we have an elk farm in missouri run by the dept of conservation. The plan is to eventually release to the wild and reintroduce. Of course, the sheds are harvested and sold.

Back