Squirrel hunting with a handgun .17hmr?

I'm of the school that you don't kill an animal unless it's for self-defense or you plan on eating it. I just can't bring myself to kill anything other than for the reasons they were put here. To sustain us. If I kill it, I'm gonna eat it.

That is how I am.

I don't use a .17cal to go squirrel hunting mainly because I don't have the money to buy one.I just use my NEF .410 with a load of number .6 shot and it does the job quite well.Or if I am shooting squirrels on the ground I use my marlin 22lr with a 3x9 scope set at 50yds and aim for the head and it does good too.

Last edited:
i use a browning buckmark varmit pistol with a 2x7 burris scope love it but also like the savage 17 hmr <makes skinnin easier> :D

Just ordered my Tracker in 6" barell. I've always used my 12 ga. but I'm tired of spittin' out bb's ;) If you ask me I think I'll do less damage w/ a well placed HMR to the ear than a 12 ga. pattern to COM. :eek: Therefor easier to skin & better in the Squirrel Pot Pie, mmmmmm Pie :D

go with a 22lr or if you wanna have lots of fun and see them fly 22mag/17hmr. It depends what range i would go with a rifle. if it is long range 17hmr and 22mag or if it is short range 22lr will do fine same with a 22short

Back