squirrel hunting with 17hmr.

I've shot squirrels with airguns thru the 12 ga.They all have thier place.Here in WI the woods are now barren- and 50-100 yard shots are possible.I thought I'd give the 17hmr a try.And Its a new gun to try.In early fall-I'd go with the shotty or .22 when shots are close.Just a excuse for another gun!(LOL)100 yard squirrles!:) I told the wife I needed it.I'm gonna use it till end of jan(season closes)

Last edited:
I've shot squirrels with airguns thru the 12 ga.They all have thier place.Here in WI the woods are now barren- and 50-100 yard shots are possible.I thought I'd give the 17hmr a try.And Its a new gun to try.In early fall-I'd go with the shotty or .22 when shots are close.Just a excuse for another gun!(LOL)100 yard squirrles! I told the wife I needed it.I'm gonna use it till end of jan(season closes
)
Excellent excuse for another gun! for those shots, the HMR would have the edge. I am interested in the new 17 WSM for the same reason. To fill a nitch, and to get another gun.

If you're going to use any .17 caliber rimfire at 100 yards for squirrel, make sure there is NO wind whatsoever and that the squirrel doesnt fart in your direction. Either one will probably cause you to miss. ;)

If you're going to use any .17 caliber rimfire at 100 yards for squirrel, make sure there is NO wind whatsoever and that the squirrel doesnt fart in your direction. Either one will probably cause you to miss.
Actually wind drift is less with the HMR than it is with the WMR.

I have killed quite a few squirrels right around 100 yards (give or take a few) most of them being head shots, if I don't get a head shot the squirrel normally gets to live for the moment. A friend of mine also hunts squirrels with his .17 hmr and has killed many squirrels with head shots at 100 plus yards, you just have to be patient and wait for the shot you want.

I have never squirrel hunted with a .17hmr. I was just speaking from my experience shooting targets with a Stevens 310 I used to own. The CCI 17 grain hollow points I was using were very, very accurate when there was no wind, but all over the place at a light breeze. I would imagine the 20 grainers do better in the wind. I wasnt knocking the .17hmr by any means.

Ive used nothing but the .17HMR for squirrils for the past 5 years. As long as you have a clean head shot, the damage to the body is non existant. I dont see any problem with it as long as you hit what your aiming at!

I have definitely been to places in the United States where the .17 hmr would be a lot less useful. Here we get 5-10 mile per hour breezes and occasional gusty days that are not conducive to hunting. It does really well here because it isn't very windy and shots are usually not so far that wind has much effect.

Here it is very possible to hit them at 100+ yards on a calm day, you just have to take your time, note the wind, and wait for the right shot. Its pretty intense when you spot a couple of them at 100 yards running through the trees way out there and you get them in your rifle scope tracking them as they run full speed through the trees until one finally stops long enough for you to squeeze the trigger and you see it fall out of the tree. Whenever I can manage a shot like that it is satisfying and it makes the heart race.

There is no excuse for blowing good meat up for nothing more than the joy of shooting....stick to .22 for squirrel or .410 shot.

tynimiller- I believe with the proper bullet and shot selection-no meat will be waisted.And the 17hmr blows the .22 lr or 410 away in the range catagory.I'm talken late season, with no leaves on trees.I can see squirrels a long ways off-and they can see me.If I can take them at 50-75 yards I will.crunchy snow and wide open view makes it tough to sneek up on them.

This thread reminds me of the time I shot a rabbit with a 223. It vacuumed the guts, heart, and lungs right out of it. All the meat was intact.

Back