Squirrel gumbo

I'm going to clarify a few things. A gumbo is more of a roux based soup with rice. Can have meat, seafood or a combination of both. Lots of people like to add okra. I like okra but prefer it without. That's more of a Creole thing. Personally I like a seafood gumbo with smoked sausage. The addition of adding a little tomato to tame the flavor of the roux is actually an old Cajun thing. A stew on the other hand is a thicker roux based gravy. I like to sometimes add either carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and on occasion boiled eggs. Most other gravys we make down here are made from Browning the meat and onions. A traditional seasoning mix consists of yellow onions, green onions, celery, bell pepper, and parsley. I like to add garlic. Squirrel will make you an excellent gumbo. I usually just quarter them up instead of de-boning. Find you a good smoked sausage to make up the rest of the meat. Make yourself a little potato salad on the side and add a scoop to your bowl of gumbo and you have one heck of a meal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Stew is a water base soup. It's thin and ate with bread. Gumbo is a thicker gravy base soup designed to stick to rice better. They are similar but down here that's almost fighting words lol.

Around here soup is water based. The minute you add a thickener to the base of water and fat(generally flour or cornstarch) it's a stew. It can have rice in it or ate over rice/pasta.

Sorry to disappoint some of you, but a gumbo is more of a roux based soup with rice.

The definition of Roux....Roux (/ˈruː/) is flour and fat cooked together and used to thicken sauces

So.........it's stew? :D

Again......
Whatever your Ma put in it and you grew up on, is what it is.

I reckon I still learn something new everyday. I always thought stew was a beef soup and if it had chicken it was just soup. I don't recall my grandmother or mother ever making a roux for stew but it is possible I missed it. Stew usually has potatoes in it and mixed with the fat in beef it does make it somewhat thicker. I'm definitely not a chef but we always prefer to eat what we were brought up eating.

The funny thing is, the same stuff is made all over the world with different ingredients but it's only called a gumbo down here. Soup, stew, or gumbo I'm ready for my bowl full as soon as somebody rings the dinner bell.

Did you say Gumbo?

One of my specialties. I've made okra, shrimp, oyster, crab, crawfish, andouille, duck, chicken, sausage, rabbit, squirrel, nutria, turkey, and pork gumbo. 1/3 of a pound uncooked meat per person is a generous portion down here in South Louisiana. Very easy to make.

It starts out with Oil and Flour for homemade roux, or you can buy any of the jars of prepared roux such as Savoie or Richard's. They're good. (as good as mine, but never as good as grandma's)

2 Onions, 2 Bellpepper, 3 stalks of celery, one pod or 6-8 cloves of garlic, and a pinch of thyme or oregano for about 8 people.

Brown the meat well in a pot (I always use black iron for browning meats)
Add diced vegetables with about 3 tablespoons of oil to the pot to deglaze the pan and stir down deep to get all the dark off the bottom of the pot. When the vegetables are good and caramelized, add water and throw in the meat (except shrimp/oysters. Those are added in the last 5 minutes before serving). This is sort of a chicken/veggie soup, of sorts. While this is beginning to boil making the stock, I cook the roux.

In a saucepan, I add about one cup of oil and 2 cups of flour after the pan is good and hot. Once I add the oil and flour I turn the burner down to about 2/3 from high, just enough to fry the flour. Stir with a wisk to help break up chunks of flour until it gets a medium blonde. I find that darker roux is perfect for stews and lighter (blonde) roux is better than perfect for gumbo.

Add the prepared roux to the boiling meat and veggies while stirring to help dissolve the roux. This will thicken the liquid and to each his/her own at this point. Some like watery gumbo and some like it almost thick as stew, but either way, cajun seasoning can be made anywhere in the US with simple spices. I add equal parts (let's use a tablespoon as a reference) of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, half part of red pepper and/or black pepper, and half part salt. I like to add about 1/4 part of celery seed.

Easy as pie !!!

Google cajun gumbo and you'll get a plethora of good recipes.

Last edited:
Today I will make my greatest contribution to the forum as of yet.

Stew:
verb: stew; 3rd person present: stews; past tense: stewed; past participle: stewed; gerund or present participle: stewing

(with reference to meat, fruit, or other food) cook or be cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.
"a new way to stew rhubarb"
synonyms: braise, simmer, boil
"stew the meat for an hour"

Stew the noun derives from the verb. It seems this may be a all alligators are reptiles, but not all reptiles are alligators situation.

Good evening fellas, sorry to jump in this thread so late but I havent even been on this website since the 13th due to being so busy with work. But squirrel gumbo is very simple to make. I totally replace all of my chicken with squirrel, so whatever amount of chicken you usually use, just use that exact same amount with squirrel. Im not a big chicken gumbo fan, I grew up on seafood gumbo and thats what I much prefer and pretty much the only gumbo you will know me to prepare.

And NO gumbo is not a stew, but it is similar, around my neck of the woods its served more like a soup even though it is similar in its thickened consistency to stew. But stew is served more as an entree or a side or a topping to an entree. Whereas gumbo is served as an appetizer prior to your entree. But there are many similarities in technique to preparing a gumbo and a stew. But ALL gumbo should be roux thickened, sure you can thicken it other ways but then it would not be considered much of a gumbo. Me and all of my peers would never dream of preparing gumbo without a roux, thats just sac religious. While most stews are roux thickened, not all of them are and they dont have to be roux thickened to be considered a stew. You can thicken them by reduction also which is fairly common and widely accepted, unlike gumbo where it is not acceptable to make a non roux thickened gumbo. And please, please, please only use cornstarch as a last ditch thickening agent for just about anything. Some stuff cornstarch is appropriate for but not much. Its just an easy and quick shortcut to thicken food but you can take one look and easily be able to tell that something was cornstarch thickened, it gives a very unpleasant gloopy consistency and a lighter colored final product.

Back to using squirrel for gumbo. Squirrel is a very lean meat, so therefore it will be very dry. So obviously you will definenlty need a fatty protein presence in there as well. Like sausage, especially andoullie sausage because andoullie is a creole sausage and it is very traditionally used in gumbo and its just a great overall sausage period. But sausage should be added to any gumbo regardless. So sausage and Tasso Ham should be added to for a protein with a higher fat content. Plus both andoullie and tasso ham are very classic creole ingredients and I add both of them to any of my gumbos period. Okra is an optional ingredient, though I know some chefs that require it in their gumbo. I tend to leave it out, but if you do use it just make sure that you put it in at the very end or else it will become real slimy if you simmer it to long with it in there and that will throw off the whole visual appeal and consistency of you gumbo. Also real authentic gumbo DOES NOT HAVE RICE IN IT, YOU TRADITIONALLY SERVE IT OVER RICE. So please do not make the mistake of adding rice to your gumbo because that is a terrible technique, its sooooo untraditional, it will dry your gumbo out, and its just not pleasant. Just serve it over rice.

In my experience squirrel gumbo does not pair will with seafood so instead of using a shell fish stock, just use chicken stock and or ham stock for your gumbo and yes adding tomato sauce to your gumbo is fine, just dont add any tomatoes, only tomato sauce and or tomato paste. Also my personal secret to my gumbo and other good gumbo is to do a Sherry reduction. Try to find a darker or even redder Sherry and after you get your mirepoix sweated down all the way and you add the flour and form your roux then cook your roux until it is extremely dark brown without burning it then add a generous amount of Sherry to it to deglaze your pot and then in turn reduce is by about two thirds and build your gumbo up from there.

And please, please, please only use cornstarch as a last ditch thickening agent for just about anything. Some stuff cornstarch is appropriate for but not much. Its just an easy and quick shortcut to thicken food but you can take one look and easily be able to tell that something was cornstarch thickened, it gives a very unpleasant gloopy consistency and a lighter colored final product.

Apparently you don't cook much Chinese style foods.

But ALL gumbo should be roux thickened, sure you can thicken it other ways but then it would not be considered much of a gumbo.

According to Wikipedia...Gumbo sauce or gravy derives from three primary thickeners: okra, filé powder, and roux
I believe the Okra based sauce is mostly used for the seafood Gumbo, while roux based sauces are most popular. Probably because they are the easiest to make. I'm sure tradition has a lot to do with it also.

And NO gumbo is not a stew

Again, according to Wikipedia...Gumbo is a heavily seasoned soup or stew that combines several varieties of meat or seafood with a sauce or gravy

We can all disagree with Wikipedia and/or we can disagree with ourselves, or we can all just admit, Gumbo can mean different dishes to different folks. Here's a great article I came across while doing some research....https://www.southernfoodways.org/interview/a-short-history-of-gumbo/

I thought everyone north of I-10 was a Yankee. I just finished a 60 quart pot of duck and game hen gumbo. Camper is loaded and kids are out of school friday. Squirrel season starts saturday here.

Most proper techniques for thickening chinese sauces and such is by reduction and usually adding some sort of honey, molasses, sugar, hoison, yuzu etc. But sweet and sour sauces can be acceptably thickened with corn startch. But thats not a traditional or authentic chinese technique or ingredient though as corn was originally from the New World and the Chinese were cooking for hundreds of years before corn ever made it back that far east.

Okra thickening of gumbo does exist but its not a favorable practice anymore. Sure there are lots of techniques out there for preparing anything, but should you use all of them? Lets just be honest, the very original tomato sauces were mainly roux thickened. Now that practice is totally nonexistent today pretty much and it is greatly frowned upon and not considered a classy technique at all by chefs. Despite that the original French recipes for tomato sauce called for a roux, in these modern times it is said that if you have to add a roux to a tomato sauce you must have done something terribly wrong in your execution. When Esscofier revised the 5 mother sauces he pretty much ruled out the roux thickened version of tomato sauce and instead listed it as a reduction and pureed thickened mother sauce. And this is the exact same case with okra thickened gumbo, yeah its out there and it can be done but there are other practices that have all but phased that technique out.

And back to the Chinese thickening techniques, with cold sauces and dressings and as well as some hot sauces are thickened with oil by forming a stable emulsion. But like I said a huge majority of their sauces are thickened by reduction and usually they accelerate that technique by adding an ingredient that is high in carbs and dissolves easily. But most of the sauces in East Asia period are very thin and light so most of them require little to no thickening. And most of the ones that are thicker are done with a glaze technique which never involves cornstarch. I mean you can go by wikipedia if you want, I have quoted wikipedia on this forum before. But I'm going to stick with what I learned in culinary school, textbooks, cookbooks, other chefs Ive trained under and worked with, general on the job training, experience in the industry, living fairly close to Louisiana, growing up, living and working with a high number of Creoles and people from Louisiana. Plus my mentor chef who was born in raised and lived most of his life in downtown New Orleans and who currently resides in Alexandria, Louisiana.

But Buck460, I will not dispute your point of gumbo being able to be considered a stew. It is prepared using similar technique, it has similar consistency, and has the same concept of a dish. So you do have a point there. And I couldn't agree more with you that gumbo means different things to different people but it still has certain universal standards that should always be followed. But I would say that it is open to a wide, open, and diverse interpretation. Also I think that the region you are in places a huge role in that also.

And yes I am from Texas.:rolleyes:

@Boogershooter, well I live just 5 minutes north up the road from I-10. But I-10 is just a stones throw south and it goes directly through my neighborhood. I drive on it everyday to work and back.

979 I was just roughing a few feathers, I'm a couple hours north of I-10 and definitely not a Yankee. The debate about preparing gumbo is just about as bad as 270 vs 30-06. They all work but we each prefer our way. I love seafood and I love gumbo but seafood gumbo isn't my favorite. The 270 isn't a favorite either.

Most proper techniques for thickening chinese sauces and such is by reduction and usually adding some sort of honey, molasses, sugar, hoison, yuzu etc. But sweet and sour sauces can be acceptably thickened with corn startch. But thats not a traditional or authentic chinese technique or ingredient though as corn was originally from the New World and the Chinese were cooking for hundreds of years before corn ever made it back that far east.

Okra thickening of gumbo does exist but its not a favorable practice anymore. It still has certain universal standards that should always be followed.

While the use of corn starch is a modern technique for thickening sauces in Chinese cooking, it is widely accepted. Similar to the use of Roux for Gumbo. If you read the story in the link, you will read...

Traditionally, gumbos have been divided into two large categories—those thickened with okra and those thickened with filé.

This would tell me that the use of a roux, while it may be your standard, has not always been the universal standard. Similar to Corn starch in Chinese. Purist's would probably argue the use of either is blasphemy.

I'm not arguing anyone's' definition of what Gumbo, Stew, Chili or Sausage Gravy is wrong. I'm just sayin', it is what is is to you. I grew up with beans in my Chili. Because I came from a poor family of 9, my mom put macaroni in it to make it go farther and fill us up. To this day, I still put macaroni in the Chili I make altho I don't have to feed a whole table full of kids. It is what it is.

Enjoy your definition of Gumbo, whatever it is.

Man you boys is a makin' me HONGRY!!

I can't wait to get my first squirrel with my new CZ-452 Military Trainer and cook him up in the frying pan!! :D

The few times I've had squirrel... it has been better when you can't tell it's squirrel! So... chili, gumbo, in a brown gravy... Its gamey, its not my favorite, but its meat!

Yep, Buck it is what it is. I just know that roux has been around alot longer than actual gumbo has. But I agree with your antics. I grew up on beans in my chili too, even though beans in your chili in Texas is considered a horrible thing. But I prefer my chili that way and if im making it for mine or my families personal consumption then I add beans, but if i'm making it for public consumption then I leave them out. I don't prefer macorroni or any added starch to my chili, but I am familiar with the method. I was born in Lexington, Kentucky, but I've lived down here in Texas since I was 2 years old. But I do know up there where I was born at that beans, spaghetti, macaronni are all very common and traditional things to put in chili up there.

Thanks for reminding me about chili though, its a huge dish down here in Texas, we like to mix fritos in with ours or just serve it on top of fritos. But its getting to be that time of the year down here when its good to come home to a hot pot of chili during the winter/fall time. Although down here those seasons are really just an extension of summer :D or at least they feel like it.
Now grinding up some squirrel and making a chili out of just ground squirrel? There's a new idea for you. I might have to try that sometime just be sure and add a generous amount of fat to your ground meat mixture because of how dry and lean the squirrel is.

Back