Squirrel gumbo

A woman I work with makes a mean gumbo. I mentioned it might be good with squirrel and she seemed mildly interested. Usually uses five pounds chicken.
I've never used squirrel in a real recipe before. I have no idea the weight of a squirrel meat. I would guess half a pound for a big Ohio squirrel. Maybe a pound dressed.
That would lead me to believe I would need 10+ squirrels, or at least two hunter or two+days given daily bag limit.

Not a problem, just add in as much squirrel as you have and subtract the same amount of chicken so you have a chicken and squirrel gumbo. I usually use 2 pounds of chicken, 1 pound of sausage and 1 pound of shrimp. There are as many combinations of gumbo as there are cooks.

Bag limit? WE used to shoot them out of uncles pecan trees anytime we saw them and nothing was said. I think farmers may be exempt in Mississippi. Like farmers in Montana with a depredation permit for deer.

My aunt and uncle would eat them. his kids and myself just didn't like them. They smelled funny while cooking. I remember my aunt making them with gravy over rice.

John, it all depends on how big of a batch or pot you are cooking. 10 squirrels along with a Lil sausage and chicken makes a pretty good pot. Putting gumbo over tater salad instead of rice is getting more and more popular. I always serve both. Most people eat a bowl of each. 979tx is a chef so if he sees this thread I'm sure he can give you more precise info.

Depends on where you live. Some of those southern states have fox squirrels the size of rabbits. I almost always made a meat pie.

This is how Brunswick Stew was invented. Not enough of one particular kind of meat add what you have to until you the get the right amount of meat. Brunswick Stew is squirrel, Rabbit and bird (traditionally Quail or Dove but chicken will do). Most times it is best to precook the Squirrel to tenderize it. Use the liquid to get the Squirrel fat and goodies in to the Stew Pot.

Oh Mr. Elk, I forgot to mention since you're cooking might as well throw some Cornbread with a little bacon grease in the oven and some fresh Pole Beans with thick cut bacon and onions on the stove. After all you don't want to get hungry before bed time!

Usually uses five pounds chicken.
I've never used squirrel in a real recipe before. I have no idea the weight of a squirrel meat. I would guess half a pound for a big Ohio squirrel. Maybe a pound dressed.
That would lead me to believe I would need 10+ squirrels, or at least two hunter or two+days given daily bag limit.

Probably a bout right for Ohio fox squirrels, but grays area lot smaller.

I don't know how many people you are feeding, but any stew that requires 5lbs of meat is going to feed a LOT! For my family I'd use two squirrels and cut all the other ingredients x .25.

For that matter, I personally don't measure anything when I cook. I add vegetables proportionally to how I think it should look, and stir in spices and seasonings in proportions that are "about right" for the total amount in the pot.

My understanding is this is quite an operation. Taking most of a Saturday. As such, a LARGE stock pot is made so it is worthwhile. I think a 3 or maybe 5 gallon like I use to brew from the description. I know she feeds he family over the weekend and brings enough into work Monday I get a heaping bowl. There is also some sausage involved. Hard to get decent shrimp for a reasonable price in my area. At least for someone who spent a year on an island and a year in a port with a house across from the fishing collective.

Such a large batch means it will probably take some convincing.

I thought about the partial substitution, but want as much as possible.

Putting gumbo over tater salad instead of rice is getting more and more popular.
Potato salad like this? I know there are many variants, but that German style is the one most popular in my area. Seems an odd combination, but it did start me salivating.

For that matter, I personally don't measure anything when I cook. I add vegetables proportionally to how I think it should look, and stir in spices and seasonings in proportions that are "about right" for the total amount in the pot.
Well, I won't be cooking it, but I do measure precisely. Any recipe is just a starting point and I will more than likely adjust it, but I will know by exactly how much and note it for future reference. If I am throwing things together out of the fridge without a recipe I still try to keep track for the same reason.

Most times it is best to precook the Squirrel to tenderize it. Use the liquid to get the Squirrel fat and goodies in to the Stew Pot.
Are we talking boil like ribs? I think this is already a slow simmer recipe, so that won't be necessary. I personally hate using that method and would just make a burger instead, and I love ribs as long as I don't have to eat them in public:) Of course I have three different types of grills/smoker and looking for two more as soon as they come up cheap on craigslist.

Easy Gumbeaux

I tried to simplify the mystery as follows: a one chicken (5# bagged weight) and 1 # smoked sausage. One large onion, 5 ribs celery, and large bell pepper (or 4 carrots). I boil the chicken in a gallon of water to make the stock, adding season as you like. Cool the chicken and debone. If you want squirrel, add it to the stock boil. Take care about the small squirrel bones. Make the Roux with 1.5 cups of AP Flour and 1 cup of Canola. Cook on medium heat until a chocolate color is attained (Emeril says a couple of beers or 20 minutes). A true Cajun Gumbo does not mix seafood with meat. It's either seafood or meat. How can I declare that? Because, my Mother and Grand Mother were from Houma, LA.

Tide you are correct, very few people mix seafood with a chicken and sausage gumbo. Squirrel meat is just extra flavor or can completely substitute the chicken. I personally use the squirrel stock because it's a darker and richer flavor. But if not at home I boil them together, and your name kinda gave away your louisiana roots.

John a gumbo doesn't take more than about two hours if you have the steps in order. You sound pretty particular about measurements so I'm gona leave that out and just give a quick rundown on my steps.

Step 1. Have squirrels and chicken cleaned and ready to be boiled. Step two.

Step 2. Put a large stock pot on to boil, deep enough to cover the chicken and squirrels. You can wait til it boils before you add the meat if you prefer but it doesn't make much difference.
A pressure cooker is the fastest.

Step 3. While meat is boiling cut up your vegetables small enough to put into a blender. Blend them up in a puree. In a cast iron skillet start browning the puree. You may add a Lil oil if it sticks. Onions, green onions, red&yellow bell pepper, celery, garlic, and any other flavor vegetables you want.

Step 4. Pull meat from boiling pot and debone. A trick to this is have a large bowl with a good lid. If you shake it hard and fast enough the meat will separate from the bone. Pull out the boneless meat and add back to the pot.

Step 5. Veggies should be good and brown by this time. Add oil. When oil is hot add 1 1/2 as much flour. Stir flour in until it's all moist and let brown. Somewhere between peanut butter and beer bottle brown stirring regularly. This is the roux.

Step 6. Add the finished roux to the stock pot of broth and meat. Stir roux in vigorously so it separates and mixes well with the broth. At this point the stock or broth will thicken up. If it's not thick enough you can add a can of any flavor cream you prefer. Remember the gumbo will always be thicker tomorrow than it was today.

Adding a meat high in fat like sausage tends to moisturize dryer lean meat like squirrel and rabbit. Its always a good addition to any squirrel/rabbit stew. Using a sausage like Italian or Andouille not only adds moisture to the meat, but flavor. I use sausage all the time to make my bag limit of pheasant a supper for more than 4. Making large batches of gumbo/stew is always a good idea as it makes for the best leftovers. Like a good Chili, the last bowl in the pot is always better than the first.

A fox tree rat runs roughly 1 to 2.2 pounds. That's live weight. A grey runs about a pound or a tick heavier. Not much eating on either.
There are lots of game cook books around. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a 'gumbo' recipe in your local public library.
All game meat is extremely lean. Comes from not making one's living by standing around in a field chewing your cud. snicker.
Anybody who mixes seafood with chicken should be arrested. snicker.

Generally speaking, GeauxTide is correct about meat or seafood gumbo but there are few hard and fast rules. Cajun gumbo would never have tomatoes in it but creole gumbo would. Some people can't stand okra in their gumbo but I don't consider it real gumbo without okra. Some cooks can whip up a pot full in 45 minutes and others say you have to simmer it for a couple of hours. Chicken, andouille and shrimp is a little different, but not uncommon.
I was born and raised in Louisiana and spent most of my life there and I've eaten a lot of different gumbos. I just make it the way I like it; with okra and no tomato. But in this case, rather than argue I will bow to the gumbo expert from....Canada.
snicker

I look at Gumbo like Goulash or SOS. Whatever your Ma put in it and you grew up on, is what it is. Does real Chili have beans or not? Does taking Chili and adding macaroni make it goulash, ChiliMac or is it still Chili? Does a real Bloody Mary HAVE to have Worcestershire in it? Then there is New England Clam Chowder and Manhattan Clam Chowder. I like 'em both.

At my house it is just called stew. Much more all inclusive. You use whatever you want or whatever is left in the fridge. Come supper time with bread and butter it's a meal. Probably the same philosophy the Cajuns and the Creoles had.

Buck down here we do the stew around midweek. All the left over veggies go into it. Corn, green beans, any peas, any left over noodles or potatoes. Stew is a water base soup. It's thin and ate with bread. Gumbo is a thicker gravy base soup designed to stick to rice better. They are similar but down here that's almost fighting words lol. In principle yes, in a bowl no. Down here people almost take as much pride in their gumbo recipe as they do their HarleyDavidson.

Two grays squirrels equal one fox based on weight.

Got two grays this Sunday, with my Marlin M60 and one fox using the 16GA.,

Cant wait for the week-end to cook-em!

Back