Springfield vs. Kimber

2001 Springfields

I got to see just about all of the new SA line in a huge trailer that has been touring central Florida. They look great, the edges are much softer, the new sights are a big improvment, but I was not too thrilled with the new locking system. They look and feel like a top of the line 1911s!
The tag on a V10 Ultra Compact was $870, I almost fell over, but the guy showing them said you can get one for about$650.
I have not seen one in a gun shop so I don't know what they will really go for. Stu Gotts

I just purchased a new 2001 Champion. The price was $689 which is about $100 more than the 2000 models which are no longer legal for sale in CA. There were certainly more than $100 worth of improvement between the 2001 and the 2000 model. That was part of the reason I purchased it. The fit and finish was very good. Trigger was clean with a small amount of takeup. No noticeable creep.

I also inspected a full size Loaded model. Same as the Champion in every aspect.

I am looking for a compact .45. Given the Canadian laws I must abide by, 4" barrels are forbidden. I asked Kimber if they would fit a commander barrel in their compact they said no. Springfield said they would fit a match 4.25" barrel in one of their compacts for a nominal charge. I have heard good reports for both guns but Springfield's willingness to help me with my unusual requests means I'll be buying Springfield .45's.

thanks guys (and gals) for the advice so far, I guess part of the decision will be how much money I have at the time. any other opinions on the diffreence between the two?

Yes.

I have noticed that Kimber chambers are slightly more forgiving than Springfield, particularly in cartridge OAL. It also seems, based on the examples I've had in hand, that Kimbers are generally more accurate overall with more different loads.

(As a custom ammo manufacturer I notice things like this. I have developed ammo for more than a few of each...)

Back