Springfield Prodigy

Fair point on the Platypus not really being a 2011. Didn't really think about how they were made until you mentioned it.

I picked a 4.25" version up fairly early in (serial number in the 40,XXX range). I'm a bit of a trigger snob so I bought the drop in Nighthawk Customs 1911 trigger assembly. It eliminated the need for hand fitting and any poor tolerance issues. Only needed to file the safety slightly to get everything to work well. I also went with a lighter main spring and recoil spring and added a shock buffer. This is a fun gun only so reliability is not as critical. I had the ceracoat issues and racked the heck out of it, but didn't use any lapping compound. It runs incredibly well now and has been very reliable. I think I might have had one or two light strikes in about 1,000 rounds so I might go back to the heavier mainspring.

I could buy a Staccato, but I like to tinker. I wanted to learn more about the inner working of the 1911 so that is why I went this route. Its like buying a decent VW and souping it up rather than buying a Porsche. The Porsche will be better, but the VW can be close in performace.

My brother-in-law has a Staccato C2and it shoots well, but I think my upgraded Prodigy can keep up with it. I do like the DWX and may get one.

There are several shops offering major upgrades to Prodigy, bringing it in line capability and price wise with the High Priced Spread. No different from other production line guns that end up with nothing original but frame and slide. Seems buying a gun and immediately throwing parts away is a whole distinct activity of its own.

There are several shops offering major upgrades to Prodigy, bringing it in line capability and price wise with the High Priced Spread. No different from other production line guns that end up with nothing original but frame and slide. Seems buying a gun and immediately throwing parts away is a whole distinct activity of its own.

Good for those that want to tinker, but at the end of the day, you’ll have a gun that cost as much as some Staccato’s with the value of a used Prodigy.

Yeah, but it LOOKS better. The current fad of serrations and slots and holes all over the place is a turnoff to me. Front serrations and searchlight rails are bad enough.

Seems like resale value is a huge factor in gun buying these days. People rotating through multiple minor variations on a theme.

Yeah, but it LOOKS better. The current fad of serrations and slots and holes all over the place is a turnoff to me. Front serrations and searchlight rails are bad enough.

Seems like resale value is a huge factor in gun buying these days. People rotating through multiple minor variations on a theme.

You can get a Staccato without lightening cuts, in fact it’s cheaper. Both have front serrations and rails.

Jim, Staccato’s are available without the cuts. The competition oriented XL and XC have them, but the duty models generally don’t.

I hear you on the turn off. However, the 2011 is one platform that I think looks better with cuts. To me the 2011 is supposed to be flashy and brash. It’s the nature of the design. I don’t look at it as a classic or “elegant” design like I do some other designs, including many 1911’s. The 2011 is all about cuts, colors, crazy controls, comps, etc.

That’s all good. That’s just not the 2011 of today is all. The design has come a long, long way since the pre-Staccato STI days.

I don’t have the X serrations on either of my Staccatos. I have comps on other pistols, I haven’t put them on either Staccato yet.

Again, you can get Staccatos without those things. While I get that some people like flashy 2011s, there are options either way. Alchemy Custom is one company that comes to mind if someone wanted a more “traditional” looking 2011. On the other side of the coin, while not a true 2011 the Stealth Arms Platypus can be had in some pretty garish combinations of cerakote. There are options out there for most everyone.

Back