Springfield model 1903

I was going to stop but I came across this and I find it extremely illumination if you can dig through all the details.

http://www.m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

I will also PM the OP to make sure he sees it.

Please note the risk factors he listed for every day life.

By the time you get to 1920, so many receivers have broken with crappy WW1 ammunition and poorly made single heat treat receivers the Army creates a coverup with greased bullets, and continues the coverup with the 1921 tin can ammunition; passing all blame onto civilian shooters.
"so many".....how many? Source of that fact?
Pete

Low serial number, questionable heat treatment of the time, unknown history of how it got to be in that configuration, opposing views on the safety of that particular action....I'd take my beating like a man and sell it.

Reagardless of the opposing views, when you touch it off it will be your eyeballs and fingers in possible harms way, not theirs.

Take it to that gun shop you mentioned and see what they will give you in trade for whatever you might want. Or mayby post it on one of the gunboards and see if anyone ponys up to take off your hands at a decent price as a collectors item of interest.

I feel your pain keep jeepin. I had a sweet shooting .243 on a mauser 93 action. I shot it alot and someone else shot it alot as well. After learning about the pressure the 243 generates vs the original 7mm i was to nervous to enjoy my tack driver. Sold it to a friend as a parts gun for 150. That sucked but who can enjoy shooting when you know you are at the limit every time you squeeze the trigger?

Well, thanks for all the great info and discussion in this thread. I did however, shoot the gun today. Only shot about 50 yards with it. Not a range day just some pumpkin killing.

It shot GREAT, its a serious tack driver, and is now one of my new favorite rifles. The gun was up for sale/trade on a local forum, but now I have an odd love for it. I am so happy and satisfied with its performance. Action is great, feels good in the hand, feels great to shoot, trigger pull feels very fluid and smooth.

I am much happier with this rifle that I planned on . Its an oldie but a goodie.

Nothing wrong with wall hangers or safe queens, my champion is my M1898 Krag manufactured in 1902. Bought it in 1972, have yet to put a round through it. People buy and restore vintage radios and TVs, but you can't tune in 1935.
My understanding-FWIW-is that Hatcher found there were a few bad "vintages" of M1903 receivers, from 1906-1907 and 1911 IIRC. regarding the rebarreling and rebuilding of low number M1903s, in 1942 we needed anything that could shoot. And from what I have read troops in the pre-WWII went to the rifle range a lot more often that in my day (1967-1971), those M1903s had a lot more rounds put through them. And if there had been a very serious problem with brittle receivers there would have a major investigation and we would have documentation-IIRC there were Congressional hearings into the problems with the M-1, the 7th round stoppage, etc.

By the time you get to 1920, so many receivers have broken with crappy WW1 ammunition and poorly made single heat treat receivers the Army creates a coverup with greased bullets, and continues the coverup with the 1921 tin can ammunition; passing all blame onto civilian shooters.

"so many".....how many? Source of that fact?
Pete

Have we not been through this before?

So what is your point?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401147&highlight=1903

And if there had been a very serious problem with brittle receivers there would have a major investigation and we would have documentation-IIRC there were Congressional hearings into the problems with the M-1, the 7th round stoppage, etc.

Not necessarily. Congress gets involved for political reasons, to knock the Executive down, or to lobby for a political campaign contributor, get their face on TV, but it all comes down to power and the acquisition of power. Congress is an amoral organization only interested in sensationalizing events for their benefit.

Back