Springfield 911 380 ACP

I just picked up my 911 Alpha today. The gun had numerous feeding issues with Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ, which I have had good luck with in my other .380's. I picked up a box of Browning at the range, and the gun liked it better. Still had occasional feeding problems and the gun didn't want to go into battery without assistance when loading the first round. I'm not impressed after 200 rounds, but I'm going to try a few different brands tomorrow and see how it performs after a good cleaning/lubing. If it is still having problems after 300 rounds, it's going back to Springfield.
After a good dose of Ballistol and some scrubbing, I took the 911 Alpha back to the range today. It ran flawlessly for another 200 rounds with some higher-end ammo (Speer Gold Dot), and some cheaper stuff (Monarch & Aguila). I had similar problems to you yesterday, but 200 rounds and a good clean/lube seem to have cured any issues.

After a good dose of Ballistol and some scrubbing, I took the 911 Alpha back to the range today. It ran flawlessly for another 200 rounds with some higher-end ammo (Speer Gold Dot), and some cheaper stuff (Monarch & Aguila). I had similar problems to you yesterday, but 200 rounds and a good clean/lube seem to have cured any issues.
I think a majority of us that purchased the 911 had issues at the beginning. In my case it was ammo related because I shot winchester ammo and did not have issues, I shot the steel case and had issues with every magazine I used. Took a while to shoot the 200 rounds. I than immediately shot with the sig ammo and Winchester and another brand I do not remember and it shot it well, even though I had not cleaned the gun after firing the steel ammo. So I just buy that ammo for the gun and save that brass so that I can began to reload it. All in all I am pleased with mine and have shot more than a thousand rounds without incidents since than. Remember that Springfield will give you a $5.00 discount on their extended magazines if you register the gun in their website.

Finally got a chance to work with the 911 some today.

I ran 50rds of Federal 95gr FMJ and 25rds of Hornady 90gr XTP.
The gun still had a couple hiccups with a miss fire first round after releasing the slide with the safety on. Drop the mag and cock the hammer it fired fine. No other mishaps with the rest of the magazine. It had a similar reaction with the Federal HST's on the first round, but this time it did not chamber at all. Same result after dropping the mag.

I then ran 25rds of the XTP and had no malfunctions whatsoever. I'm thinking about working on the ramp polishing some more...

Another thing that could cause the misfire would be limp wristing it. I did that a couple of times on purpose and it would misfire. I limp wristed mine without thinking about it as I was not holding it as tight since it did not recoil as much. Too my surprise the recoil was snappy and the barrel flipped up more than I anticipated, on my next shot it misfired. I than held it firmly as I would a 1911 and never had issue again.

Back