Springfield 911 380 ACP

Rooster2

Nice little gun, feels good, goes bang when I pull the trigger. Shoots where I point it.

BUT,when the last round (not every time) is chambered. The slide does not return all the way forward. A gentle push of the thumb and bang it works fine.

None of the other rounds do this. I was using American Eagle 95GR FMJ and Federal HST. Both had the same results.

Could it be the recoil spring is to light?

Or maybe the mag spring?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Will do..
Both mags seem to react the same.

I'll be trying other ammo next!

Something I thought of. The stoppage is at the slide location when shipped with the plug! Could this cause the action?

Slight Hesitation...

This is the position/spot where the hang up occurs.
2v2EF7obNxAghwd.jpg

Part #1 rides on part#2 and creates a small rub, which only causes a problem while chambering the last cartridge.
I notice a bit more resistance with the magazine in place.
2v2EF7oeoxAghwd.jpg

Sorry for the crude pix. Any thoughts?

Ok, I tried that and some hand racking the slide without the spring and barrel installed and this seemed to make a big difference. Two full magazines with ball ammo and no problems.
I will try some other ammo ASAP....

Last edited:
Take the mags apart, clean and lube em. Then reassemble and check for smooth operation thru entire range of mag. Be sure the springs are correctly oriented as they can be installed upside down or backward or both.

Last edited:
Nice little gun, feels good, goes bang when I pull the trigger. Shoots where I point it.

BUT,when the last round (not every time) is chambered. The slide does not return all the way forward. A gentle push of the thumb and bang it works fine.

None of the other rounds do this. I was using American Eagle 95GR FMJ and Federal HST. Both had the same results.

Could it be the recoil spring is to light?

Or maybe the mag spring?

Thanks in advance...

How many rounds through it, to date?

The gun is new and I have fired just under 50 rds. It seems to be getting much better.

Do a lot of hand cycling and dry firing. (And a lot more shooting, of course.) If that doesn't help, possibly polish (polish, by hand, with fine emory cloth. No Dremmel!) the breech face.

I bought the 911 a few months ago, bought 2 one for me and one for my brother. Bought the geared up version where it comes with 5 magazines. I registered my gun with SA and got a $5 discount per magazine on the extended 7 round magazines at $17.99 each so I bought 3. The magazines are interchangeable with the Kimber micro and the Sig 238 but at half the price.

I had similar issues with certain brands of ammo. Does great with FMJ round nose bullets and does lousy with steel case ammo. Avoid the cheap brands as they are dirtier and will affect the slide more causing the failure to feed or fire. I worked the slide several hundred times and would use a pencil on the rails instead of lube while doing this. It likes the graphite. I do lube it after each range trip but wipe it dry before using it again. I have yet to encounter the same problems now and have shot close to a 1000 rounds.

Congratulations on your purchase, I love mine as does my brother and those night sights are really bright in the dark.

If you are interested I did a little review on this gun here on this forum. I talk about the different ammo I used and the problems some created.https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601865

Last edited:
The gun is new and I have fired just under 50 rds. It seems to be getting much better.
You're learning that guns don't necessarily come out of the box ready to rock and roll.
1. Clean all the factory rust preventative grease out of it.
2. Properly lubricate it as per manufacturer instructions
3. Shoot the jebeesers out of it with fmj range ammo (my "shake down" at the range is usually a minimum of 100 rounds)
4. (for a carry gun)After the shake down try the self defense ammo you intend to carry. At least 50 rounds without a problem for me.
So for me a one day shake down range trip for a new carry gun would be 100-200 rounds.

Don't know if this will help or not - I had the same issue with a .22 semi-auto a few years ago - a Sig1911. It about drove me nuts. I finally took it apart, thoroughly cleaned it (I had done the same thing when NIB). Don't laugh, but I took a q tip and put just a small dab of toothpaste on the rails and just sat and racked it. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and it polished up the new rail and slide. I repeated applications a couple of times - cycling the slide back and forth - then took apart - thoroughly cleaned the toothpaste off and relined with a small dab of slide grease on the rails. The polishing of the rails with the toothpaste took care of the issue of it not going back into battery one the last shot.

I have no experience with your model but I'm guessing it's all about letting the gun "wear in" which is accomplished by repeated cycling and use of a good lube. If it continues, I'd see if you could find someone with the same gun and try their mugs in yours to see if it would return into batter on the last round out of the mag - maybe yes and maybe no but then you could check with Springfield as to what they suggest. Quite possibly it will clear up after you've run enough rounds through it to break it in.

Keep us posted please. I like 380s - have owned Bersa, Beretta and S & W - I like reloading the .380 and like it for general plinking and occasional CCW. I haven't had the opportunity to handle and look at the one you have but will try and see if the LGS has one the next time I'm there - might be a nice addition to the herd!

I will get an update as soon as I purchase some more flavors in 380. I appreciate the advice from everyone.
Tonight I will be polishing the ramp to a mirror finish. (By Hand) of course...

After sanding the ramp with some fine emery cloth and polishing with some very light compound and racking the slide as suggested, the gun feels much better. No snag, no hang ups or hesitations at all in the action.

I had seven rounds of 95 grain FMJ left. The gun functioned perfectly! I will still be trying some other flavor ammo and post another update ASAP.

After sanding the ramp with some fine emery cloth and polishing with some very light compound and racking the slide as suggested, the gun feels much better. No snag, no hang ups or hesitations at all in the action.

I had seven rounds of 95 grain FMJ left. The gun functioned perfectly! I will still be trying some other flavor ammo and post another update ASAP.
Try to find some of this..great stuff for defensive loads.

https://www.botach.com/g9-380-acp-82gr-hollow-point-ammunition/

Also Lehigh/Underwood Xtreme Defense stuff..

I just picked up my 911 Alpha today. The gun had numerous feeding issues with Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ, which I have had good luck with in my other .380's. I picked up a box of Browning at the range, and the gun liked it better. Still had occasional feeding problems and the gun didn't want to go into battery without assistance when loading the first round. I'm not impressed after 200 rounds, but I'm going to try a few different brands tomorrow and see how it performs after a good cleaning/lubing. If it is still having problems after 300 rounds, it's going back to Springfield.

I was pretty bummed when I first fired mine. But I will say the more I work with it and after polishing the ramp the more I like it!

Back