Springfield 1903, Any Experts?

Shooting a low number 03 with light load is not any safer, according to the warnings.

In one way. At least one of the "official" blowups was with the "guard cartridge" having 9 grains of Bullseye and a 150 grain bullet. Not high pressure but a sharp rap.

I think the worst danger was split cases or head separation in hastily produced wartime brass. Pressure sealed inside the cartridge, OK, pressure loose in the action, demolition.

Well, I guess enough said. Each of our own makes his own decision. I still shoot mine with light cast loads and without any bystanders. Don't be like me. Can't say enough of that, as we live in the land of the blamed.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One of the possibilities of the erroneous calibrated eyeballs that I recall hearing was a matter of morning vs afternoon sunlight. This story said that the afternoon sun cast a different hue than the morning sun which shown in through different windows in the plant. We'll never know what the realest reason was- just bad heat juju in the end. I do like to hear the stories of the possibilities though.

It really does not matter why, its the fact that it was inconsistent and not the right methodology for a critial heat treatment operation for a gun of that era.

Having a barrel replace also means the receiver was subjected to more stresses and lends some credence to being ok.

Actually one after market company made cast receivers and while they are loathed and I believe a UK company tested and condemned , they still worked. go figure.

Overall the biggest danger is the nature of the unsupported case head of any era 1903 (as well as the 1917)

One test never run was to ID a glass shatter type receiver and shoot it and see how if fared. A controlled gas expansion (fired round) vs a hammer smack is not the same thing mechanically. The latitude seems to be much wider than anyone has established as was noted, the same methods were used to make Kraig rifles.
That said I saw a modern Winchester Model 70 blown up (other than blowing up under a Gunsmith employee doing test firing with hand loads no firm knowledge of what pushed it there)

Damage was fortunately in the possible range of outcomes, damage was fairly limited but the shooter got a bunch of new teeth. Eyeballs ok, phew.

One bystander got side smacked with a piece of receiver and just a nasty blemish on the cheek (also phew)

Once piece of receiver embedded itself in the back of the shooting shed. Phew again as there were people and watchers on benches either side.

Supposedly the supported head and gas delivered does not allow that blow up to occur. so much for supposed.

I'd turn it into a cast bullet shooter and not worry about it. My own 1903 I used with cast for a while using 180gr cast bullet and 13 grs Red Dot with a TP wad over the powde. Shot pretty good!

Are there folks that collect the early 03's? If there were, I'd happily trade mine for one that's safe to shoot, and it a military stock.

Back