springfield 1855

oldknotty

Hey guys i need some fast info please .I have found used Armi sports 1855 springfield rifled musket at my local pawn shop for $500 .It is steel colored and the wood is in great condition . The barrel is a bit rusty inside and rough but i think it is cleanable .The outside is cruddy from lack of care and the mechanism is a bit stiff to operate but it does operate ok .I think it needs a good clean and oiling . What do you guys think of this deal ,I need to have some input please ASAp
Old knotty

New Armisport 1855 rifled muskets are going for about $1000.

I'd clean the bore on-sight before buying and see what it looks like.

Steve

The bore looks to be just a bit rusty no pitting that i could see ,I don't think they will allow me to clean the bore at the pawn shop ???

They would if they wanted $500 out of me.

1855? Complete with Maynard tape primer?

Hey, I looked it up, it does have a Maynard looking lockplate and even the trapdoor over the tape primer magazine... but no working primer feed. No tape primers for sale, either, so I guess that's ok.

I agree Jim watson , though not being an expert on these firearms i have to rely on whatever i can glean from you guys .The rear sight is a three stage v sight with each one a little longer than the last if that is any help /

Ok Steve it is on its way to me I will be in touch for advice on what to use in it and how best to maintain it because I guess it will not come with instructions :-)

Not much to 'em, OldKnotty!

You'll need some musket caps and some 2F or 3F powder.

Pretty sure these are .58 caliber.

You'll want a .58 minie ball mold. If you want optimal accuracy, you'll need to figure out the bore diameter and you'll want to size your bullets about .002 undersize of the bore.

You'll probably find optimal accuracy somewhere between 40 and 50 grains of powder. Service load was 60 grains 2F.

You'll need a cleaning rod and some patches. You can clean up with soapy water. I also like Ballistol.

Steve

In another thread, the OP expressed a desire to have a replica "civil war" rifle. I just want to point out that there is no documentation that the 1863 Remington contract rifle, or (zouave) was actually used in the war. Evidence shows the Remington rifles that were delivered to the army in late 1863 and early 1864 were never issued. They were put in storage and eventually sold as surplus after the war. The replica zouave rifles are nice guns and good shooters. I know a fellow that deer hunts with one. But it isn't a 'civil war gun".

How about "Civil War" era type firearm then?

I never understood the popularity of the Zouave considering that it was never issued out. The Enfield was about the most accurate of the minie guns of that era and if the Italians were making repros, should have given them priority.

if it shoots Black powder and lead using a percussion cap i will be happy with it :-) I have been trying to get my hands on that Springfield that the pawn shop has but he will not deal much and I am having trouble flogging the guitar to raise the cash :-( Maybe the gods will smile on me and someone will have a need for a nice Bass soon :-)

The Italians who make those guns and the Americans who contract for them don't really give a rat's patootie whether the originals were used or where or when. They will make and sell what the customers want and the customers want the "romance" of the "Zouave" rifles. If customers wanted them with brass tacks and pearl inlays, they would have those, too.

Jim

Customers by and large don't have a clue as to what was used or when. They don't know what is historically accurate nor do most of them care. That's how TC got away with calling their rifles Hawken's, because most people don't know what a real Hawken looks like. Kind of sad really. They want a taste of history but have no idea what the flavor even is or should be.

Hawg Haggen

I cannot agree with you more pal , I am a newbie but i do my research before I buy . It may not always be historically correct but at least i KNOW that and am not being fooled :-)

Musket caps

Ok guys another question from the newbie pest :-) what kind of percussion caps should i get for my rifle . I have been reading up on them and i have found two to be most used , the CCI which had equal amounts of good and bad reviews and a German brand i think is called RCM which seems to have mostly good reviews . I could use some input from you guys that have used them for just basic target shooting on the range .Also where is a good place to get them seems my local Bass pro shop does not list them ????
Thanks Oldknotty

Back