Sporterized P-17 Eddystone

Well, I'm trying to get together all the parts I need to send it to the gunsmith for the barrel shortening and refinishing. I've ordered a Timney trigger (Midway), the coil spring ejector (G.P.C.), and the improved box magazine (G.P.C.). The stock will have to wait until I find out the gunsmithing costs, but it'll probably be the Bell & Carlson because it'll take the standard 6-shot magazine floor plate (don't want the added time & expense of flattening that out).

Any advice on scope mounts and rings? I'd like a 1-piece rail mount, if possible.

How about scopes? I don't know much about them, but I'm leaning towards BSA (I've heard some good things about them, and they're not too expen$ive).

What type of accuracy can I expect when all this is done (assuming a competent operator - well, eventually anyway ;) )?

One caveat about the excellent P-17. We had one given to us decades ago by a family member, it had a sporter stock, Weaver 4X scope,etc,but would not group well,even after glassbedding,free floating, and so on. Finally, we had the bbl slugged and found it miked out at .311, not .308. Later we read in the American Rifleman some of the earlier 17s were made with P14 bbls, rechambered of course to 30-06. Since I handloaded at the time, I obtained a .311 expander ball, proper 180 gr projectiles and worked up a load which shrank group size to about 1 1/4 off the sandbags @ 100 yds. Using round nose bullets while the other 06 loads had spitzers kept the ammo out of the wrong weapon. When I sold that 17, the ammo and expander went with it.

IMO, you may want to have a competent gunsmith slug that bbl and see how it runs. These days, I'd be more inclined to re bbl than work up special ammo, that wouldn't be a good idea in standard bores and chambers.

Otherwise, it's a fine weapon and capable of good work, either sporter or milspec...

Some additional information I've gathered...

1) Allegedly, the scope mounts for a Remington Model 30 will work for M1917's that have the rear of the receiver milled to the same radius as the front receiver.

2) The 2000 Gun Digest has an article on sporterizing the M1917 (I'm going to get one soon).

3) It's not really a P-17, it's an M1917...

Thanks for all your help!

Does anybody know if Bishop stocks are still around? They used to sell a semi-finished stock which was inletted for the 1917.

FWIW: When Remington did a torture-test on the then-new 721, the third level was two 220-grain bullets in the barrel, and then a casefull of powder behind a 220-grain bullet. The 1917 survived this test.

Have fun!

Art

Well, the Gun Digest article was about a sporterized M1917, not about sporterizing one :(.

Bishop/Fajen are now owned by Midway. They carry some stocks, but not for the M1917. I've heard references to Pacific, and E-S (I think) stocks, but I haven't been able to find any. So far, the only options I've found are the Bell & Carlson and a cut down military from Gun Parts Corp.

"Small Arms of the World" says the P-14/M1917 is one of the strongest military rifles ever issued anywhere.

Side mount scope mounts were at one time available from Williams (model SM70). One and two piece top mounts from were once available from Buehler. Unfortunately, that was in 1960 - in 1999, I'm having trouble finding a scope mount that will work... Any ideas? The receiver ring & base are 1.37" diameter, if that helps out any.

[This message has been edited by Danger Dave (edited November 04, 1999).]

Back