Sporterized P-17 Eddystone

Danger Dave

I was recently given a P-17 that someone had begun to sporterize (sights removed, receiver ground, cock-on-opening bolt setup). Now, having fired a mil-spec one, I was impressed enough to want to finish this one out to use as a field rifle. I'm looking for advice on:

1) Stocks - preferably synthetic (input from Gale McMillan especially welcome)

2) Scope

3) Finish - how do I remove the parkerizing & what finishes do you recommend?

4) Anything else I forgot or should do?

The barrel also has a notch where the front sight was removed. I'm thinking about taking it to a gunsmith to have the barrel shortened. Is that a good idea, or should I just leave it?

Thanks in advance!

Don't remove the finish. Let the fellow who refinish it for you do that.

As to barrel length, it depends on what you're comfortable with. The P17 has a 26" tube and for sporting purposes, 22" is pretty standard. Note though, in recent years, sharpshooters have gone from the standard 24" barrel to 26". The problem with 26" is negotiating it through the woods and the weight. So, find something that is comfortable for you, the ultimate user of that gun.

The scope depends on the area you're hunting in, the lighting conditions, weight, and of course, your budget. I personally prefer Leupold. As for the mounting system, a single piece base provides greater stability and there's less chance of torquing the scope body (naturally, you will want to check the ring alignments prior to mounting the scope to preclude this).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

We don't make stocks for the 1917. Some of our customers have fitted them in some of our stocks but it is a big job. Sorry I can't help. I don't know who does make something you can use.

Gale McMillan & Gary: Thanks! It looks like my biggest problem will be the stock - especially if Mr. McMillan can't help me! I have a good gunsmith in the area who can help with the rest. Another thought I had was buying a surplus stock from Gun Parts Corp. and bedding & refinishing it (the original has already been cut, but I don't like it). How well would that work, if I can't find a good synthetic one?

CAI (century) was selling some 'sporter' rifles based off of p-17 actions a while back
might give them a call.

If the stock is in good shape (all original) it has some trade/sale value.

Dave. Have a competant gunsmith check that Eddystone action for hairline cracks on the receiver ring. I can't remember the source of information, but it had to do with customizing military actions, or specifically the Enfield actions (1914 and 1917). If memory serves, they said to test it by soaking the stripped action in gasoline for about a half hour, then drying it thoroughly. Warm is slowly with apropane torch (away from the gasoline, of course) and if there were cracks in the receiver ring, gas would ooze out. There may be a less volatile substance you can use. Maybe Mr. McMillan, or George Stringer in the gunsmith threads can tell you.
I wish I could remember where I read it, but I think it was in some magazine in the early to mid 60's, when a lot of these customizing efforts were being done. I don't think there has been much work done with 14/17 Enfields in some time, so this problem may have been forgotten, except by some old timers. Better safe than sorry.
Paul B.

Man, the information I can get here is staggering....

Nestor Rivera, T-Bone, & Paul B. - thanks to all of you! Does Midway have a website or a phone number?

Most of the older gunsmiths got their start sporterizing Springfields and Enfields right after WW2 as they were cheap and plentiful . I have never worried about the cracked receivers because they are very easy to see with the unaided eye. They are not anything I would build a rifle on if they are cracked .but they don't present a particularly dangerous situation as the square thread doesn't put a load on the receiver. I have seen them that were badly cracked and had been used for years in that condition. I have never heard of a receiver ring letting go on an Enfield. The smith that puts the barrel on for you will be able to tell and if you don't rebarrel when you polish the receiver if you cant see them don't worry about it.

While I was at Bushmaster we built upwards of 5000 of the P-14 "Centurion" rifles both in .300 Win mag and 7mm Rem mag. These were built on converted P-14 actions, same as the '17, only with a different sized bolt face and feed ramps. During all the proof firing I can only remember four bolts showing cracks after proof, those actions are STRONG!

Century supplied the stocks, chances are they still have some. They were made by Sile in Italy. I believe Midway, or actually Bishop, under the Fajen name, still makes them for these rifles. I think Bell and Calson makes composite stocks for these as well. Hope this helps.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Midway lists the B&C Carbelite part number 602-152. Their web site is www.midwayusa.com and their phone is 1800-243-3220. I like that phone number. Let us know how the sporterization goes I have one I started 30 years ago and still want to finish.

We've got some guy here at TFL who is trying to sell instructions on how to make a synthetic stock ($15). You may want to look into that. Might was well be radical and make a bull-pup.

------------------

First, thanks for all the help & input. Now, I've just got to part with some money ;)

Second, just in case anybody else wants to do this, I figured I'd list what I could find out about parts for sporterizing the P-17...

Stocks - I've found 2 sources for sporter stocks
A Bell & Carlson Carbelite (Midway, ~$160) and a cut down military stock (Gun Parts Corp, ~$40) - I'm going to go with the B&C eventually.
I couldn't find anything from Century, Fajen, etc, and I wanted to go synthetic, anyway.

Scopes - well, there are a lot of choices from a lot of sources, like Midway. You pay $$$ for good quality scopes - I still haven't made up my mind what scope I want. Scope mounts are, of course, widely available, in either side or top mount. I'll probably go with top mount 1-piece rail mount, since the P-17 ejects almost straight to the right.

Miscellaneous:
Also available from Gun Parts Corp.:
- Replacement magazine box to improve feeding of soft tip & HP rounds (~$10)
- Cock on opening bolt kits (~$20)
- Adjustable triggers - can't recall manufacturer (~$40)
- New barrels (~$100)
- Coil spring ejectors (improved durability over issue) (~$4)

I'll probably get the adjustable trigger, magazine box, and coil spring ejector (the cock-on-opening bolt works well, but I don't know about with a replacement trigger group yet). Right now, the plan is to get the replacement parts I want and the scope mount & take it to a gunsmith to shorten the barrel, bead blast, refinish, and install new parts. Then the scope (haven't made up my mind what scope I want - it's hard to justify the $Luepold$, even if they are as good as I've heard). Last, I'll get the B&C Carbelite stock (I have a cut down military stock to play with in the meantime).

I've also got a reprint of an old article from American Rifleman on sporterizing the P-17. If anybody wants/needs a copy, feel free to email me.

Any ideas what a bead blast/reblueing job should run me?

[This message has been edited by Danger Dave (edited October 13, 1999).]

Be forwarned most of those "New barrels (~$100)" are NOT ready to install as they do not have an extractor cut yet, so espect + $100 for a smith to cut and fit it into place.

4V50 Gary I have seen this guys add before and emailed him for his credentials and never got an answer. There is no doubt in my mind that it is a scam because those in the business are not going to put any information out and If he had sold a stock business no one would buy it with out a nondisclosure clause. I can say that as a pioneer in the industry there is no way to make a fg stock that is as easy as his add sounds and we all have non disclosure statements by our employ. I am sure he thinks he has a get rich quick scheme and sure enough some will fall for it.

Thanks for the warning, Mac. I wasn't really thinking about making my own stock. It's a neat idea, but I've worked with fiberglass enough (repairing boats & my old jeep - I've never made a stock or anything similar) to know $160 - or even $300 - is pretty cheap to avoid working with it. From what little I know (mostly through chatting with someone who makes fg jeep parts, so a lot of this is deductive reasoning & conjecture), I'd have to create a mould (quite a task in itself - I have neither the skills nor tools to do it properly), lay the fiber in layer by layer (or use a fibermixed resin) as I was adding resin (vibrating/shaking it to get the air out while I was pouring, not very effective, but I don't have the equipment to vacuum mould it), let it set, break open the mold, then make it fit the rifle, then do the finishing work (hours worth) - If I was good and lucky enough to get the stock close enough to be usuable, without any major defects. Anybody who wants to tackle it, go for it - I can see easily investing a ridiculous amount of time and several hundred dollars (or more) to get a stock of far lesser quality than you can buy off the shelf. If you try it and still think it's worth it make your own stock, you should probably go into business. I think there's enough competition out there so if somebody could make a good stock cheaply (say, retails under $100), they would.

And did I mention that fiberglass resin & cloth is just plain nasty to work with? It gives me nasty headaches, it sticks to everything like a spider web, then it hardens (rough on the old arm hairs). Ugh. I'll let someone else deal with that, thank you very much.

Shoot, I should have asked for $15 for that "information". ;)

Nestor - My barrel is fine - I'd be surprised if more than 100 rounds have been fired through this rifle, but thanks for the info!

Thanks Gale. I'll email Rich and we'll try to keep an eye out for him. Maybe we should ask him to send us one "gratis" so that we may review it on behalf of the members?

------------------

Oh, Danger Dave!! Don't continue the rape of that sweet lady. Restore that 1917 to its original configuration and love and cherish it as an outstanding US WWI rifle.

I'll bet there are less 1917 Enfields left than 03 Springfields, even though there were a whole lot more Enfields made.

Hope this gives you a guilty conscience and gets you to restore this lady.

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted

Mikey,

Believe me, I would, but the sights have already been cut off and the receiver has been ground and reshaped.

Relax, though - I have another one that hasn't been touched. :)

T-Bone,
Thanks for the info. I called Bell & Carlson last night - all the Duralite P-17 stocks are sold out (they only had 2). It was a good idea, anyway.

[This message has been edited by Danger Dave (edited October 21, 1999).]

Back