Split a case right in half

Called case head separation.

No, actually in this case, its not.

Take a look at the linked pic. The case broke apart almost midway in the body, NOT just above the solid head.

I had this happen once, with a .44 Magnum case (and in a Desert Eagle!) I put it down to defective brass, but now I wonder...

We have here reports of this happening in two separate lots# of .460 Hornady ammo.

Not sure if it properly applies, but I am reminded of the old saying, "once is happenstance, twice is co-incidence, 3 times is enemy action!"

No, actually in this case, its not.

Take a look at the linked pic. The case broke apart almost midway in the body, NOT just above the solid head.

I did look at the pic, kinda why I said I had several just like it in my scrap bucket. One only has to Google "pics of case head separation" to see it doesn't always happen right in front of the case head. If you look at the pic in the OP you can see the line on the other case where the case is starting to separate. My Hornady cases all broke exactly like the OPs. Hornady and S&W both replied to me, when sent pictures, that it was "case head separation". I was told anytime a case head is separated from the case, because of the stretching of the brass, it is case head separation. Hornady claimed it was from too many hot reloads(it was not, actually happened with reduced loads, on the first reload from factory brass. It also has happened with virgin Hornady brass on the second reload with only moderate loads. My Starline brass has never done this even with heavier loads and many more loadings). S&W said if it wasn't from oversizing and hot reloads it was probably bad brass. Around the internet I have seen several postings of this same scenario, and pictures always show the separation in the same place. It is easy to feel with a paper clip and in many cases it's like in the OPs pic.....you can see it coming. Again, I believe it is because of the thickness of the brass in that particular area, either it is where it thins out from the thicker web area or just a bad forming die/process. I also wonder if it has to do with how the cases may be annealed at the factory.

Ok, i'll grant that anytime the head comes off its head separation. But its not the typical kind seen with over worked rifle brass.

I'm sure the root cause is the same, brass TOO THIN at the failure point. Now its a matter of WHY.

I'm sure the root cause is the same, brass TOO THIN at the failure point. Now its a matter of WHY.

Kinda where I was at with the statement..." I believe it is because of the thickness of the brass in that particular area, either it is where it thins out from the thicker web area or just a bad forming die/process. I also wonder if it has to do with how the cases may be annealed at the factory."

Especially since it happens without the case being overworked, and in the case of the OP, not worked at all. The case separates just from the normal expansion when fired. Could be how the case is drawn that makes it so weak at that spot, because it is a specific spot. The OPs brass separated at the same spot my cases have and other .460 cases I have seen separated are also separated at the same spot. This is not a once time deal, it has happened to me several times and to others.......and every time, it's been Hornady brass.

.....and every time, it's been Hornady brass.

There you go, it has to be something Hornady is doing/not doing or using...

The quality of the alloy, the drawing process, or possibly just the specs on the brass itself being insufficient to survive more than a single firing, and some not even that?

We're so used to the usual way things work we overlook the fact that, unless they voluntarily take on the obligation, stating so, neither gun nor ammo makers are required to produce ammo that does more than feed, fire and eject properly.

I don't know who's running Hornady these days, possibly some bean counter with no more personal stake in the company and its reputation than his paycheck (and if so, tis a sad thing),, Seems to me that if the bosses at Hornaday had the same kind of dedication that Joyce had they'd be looking into and fixing this issue ASAP.

Do you know the story about the early problems with the .458 Win Mag?
Sales were poor, and lots of stories about the .458 "underperforming" were being heard.

Hornady went on safari. Didn't tell people he was the guy making the bullets Winchester put in the .458. He listened to the PH's and their gripes, saw some of the failed bullets (I assume that's the story anyway) came home and redesigned the bullets. After that, bullet failures about went away, and the .458 became the go to "budget" elephant rifle in Africa.

Point here is that the big guy took a personal interest in the problem, and it was solved in short order.

That ought to be happening today with the .460 brass
is it??

Had to go check on the 5 rounds I put through my 460V. No issues, even checked with my feeler tool to be sure. .

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 22
Back